Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Save the 10th Virginia Infantry Battle Flag!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Call to Arms! Help Save the 10th Virginia Infantry Battle Flag!!!

"The following e-mail was sent out on the Virginia Courier on October 26, 2008 by Division Cmdr. John Sawyer in an attempt to pass on vital information about the auction of the 10th VA battleflag.

A matter I consider of great importance is the auction of the 10th VA battle flag which is scheduled for auction in Ohio on December 3. I feel that it is vitally important that we make every attempt from the camp level to the national level to secure this flag and bring it home to Virginia.

Ed Billhimer, President of the Elkton Historical Society and Past Commander of the Col. D.H. Lee Martz Camp #10, was recently interviewed by a local Valley radio station concerning the possible purchase and bidding on the flag in December. Listed below is a link to that interview (keep in mind that the actual interview is about half way through the sound clip):

http://shenandoahvalley.com/home/ima...ct24-Oct31.mp3

Please pass this information on to camp members and consider making a donation or sponsoring a fund-raising event to help the Col D.H. Lee Martz Camp #10 and the Elkton Historical Society, Inc. raise the funds necessary to bring this beloved battle flag back home to the Shenandoah Valley where it belongs. We have less than 2 months to spread the word to as many people as possible.

John Sawyer, Commander
    Virginia Division SCV

"The Elkton Historical Society and Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #10 is asking the community to help bring an important piece of Rockingham County's history and heritage back home where it belongs. On December 3, 2008 Cowan's Auctions of Cincinatti, Ohio is offering the famed 10th Virginia Volunteer Infantry battleflag to the highest bidder. This important flag is being sold as part of a lot which also includes CDVs of the Miller brothers of Conrads Store (now Elkton) and other yet to be cataloged items from the family.

The Miller brothers served with distinction in the Confederate army during The War Between the States. S.P.H. Miller was with the Elk Run Greys Militia and later the 7th Virginia Cavalry. Hiram Harrison Miller and Sgt. Joseph George Harnsberger "J.G.H." Miller both served in Company I, 10th Virginia Volunteer Infantry.

During General Lee's surrender at Appomattox, VA our Confederate soldiers were ordered to "stack their arms a nd surrender their flags". Sgt. J.G.H. Miller, after seeing scores of his men die and suffer under the regimental flag throughout the war, didn't have the heart to surrender his beloved flag so he carefully folded it and hid it under his uniform jacket. Sgt. Miller returned to his home at Conrads Store and tried to piece his life back together as best he could.

The 10th Virginia battleflag remained in the family for over 110 years before an unsuspecting ancestor sold the flag, along with the other family heirlooms, to a fellow who paid her less than $100 for the lot. Now, 143 years after the end of The War Between the States, the beloved 10th Virginia Infantry battleflag is being sold in the open market. If not acquired now it could end up in California or even England, never to return to the Valley where it belongs. Visit www.geocities.com/zedwhit1/10thvainf.html to see an image of the flag. A preauction estimate of the sale price places the value of the flag and accompanying items at $175,000 to $220,000.

It is urgent that the community and the Commonwealth of Virginia help financially in the efforts to bring these historically important items home. Those wishing to contribute "any amount" to this worthy cause can send a check to:

Elkton Historical Society, Inc.
    P.O. Box 1
    Elkton, VA 22827

In the event that the purchase of the flag is not successfully purchased contributions will be refunded upon request or may be redirected to the historical society's planned purchase of the old Conrads Store building, Elkton's namesake during the war.

Ed "Casey" Billhimer, President
    Elkton Historical Society, Inc.
    Past Commander, Col. D.H.Lee Martz Camp 10 SCV
    Harrisonburg, Virginia
    (540) 289-9866
    (540) 578-3046
    historyed@msn.com

Note: The flag was not sold at the auction so there is still hope that it may return to Virginia.
    "

This is the email I sent to the current Virginia Division Commander of the SCV, Commander Mike Pullen:

"Commander Mike Pullen,

It was an honor and a pleasure to speak to you a few weeks ago on the phone concerning my ancestor's flag of the 10th Virginia Infantry. I will not rest until this flag is returned to the great Commonwealth of Virginia.

Here is what I know, complete with links to current sites and history of the 10th Virginia Infantry Flag:

Since I was a boy I heard family members tell me stories of a Confederate ancestor who did not surrender or bury their regimental flag at the Surrender of the ANV at Appomattox, instead my ancestor, 1st Lt. Joseph George Harnsberger Miller, removed the flag from the staff, folded it, and placed it his frock coat, then walked back home to Conrad's Store (present day Elkton, Va.). The flag remained in the family until 1977. This information was verified by Col. Martz's personal recollections and letters at the surrender and after the war. I spoke with Jeremy Hilliard (10th Virginia Infantry, Inc. Living History Reenactors) as well as Casey "Ed" Billhimer from the Elkton Historical Society on frequent news and status of the flag. I am also a Civil War Reenactor and past member of Secession Camp No. 4, SCV (Charleston, SC)

Here are the links to the Flag:

SCV Virginia Division mention http://www.scvva.org/announce/10thVAflag.htm

Cowan Auctions, The Personal Effects of LT. Joseph G.H. Miller with 10th Virginia Infantry Flag:

I appreciate any and all assistance from the Virginia Division of the SCV and all supporters to help bring this flag and all effects back home to the Commonwealth. I will not rest until it is returned. Thank you for your time and continued support. I look forward to hearing from you soon."

We are still in the process of trying to obtain the 10th Virginia's flag and all effects of my ancestors' from Cowan Auctions, and return it to the Commonwealth of Virginia, before it ends up overseas or worse. Please help us in returning and preserving this important piece of history. I would remain personally grateful and indebted to all those who can help. Commander Pullen may be reached at:

J. Michael Pullen
    Commander
    3471 Sleepy Hole Road
    Suffolk, VA 23435
    Phone: 757-538-8717
    [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]
Working...
X