Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gettysburg Cyclorama building to be demolished, site restored.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gettysburg Cyclorama building to be demolished, site restored.

As of this day 01 March 2013. Demolition is well underway in Gettysburgh. The lower wing of the Mission 66 debacle that included the observation deck is down. Most of it's already off the site. As well there is at least one large breach in the walls of the cylinder that held the painting. reports are that the interior of the viewing area is well visible through the breach . Barring bad weather. This atrocity, Mission 66 building, will be just a memory shortly.
    Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

Borrowed Photo:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
      Past President Potomac Legion
      Long time member Columbia Rifles
      Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

And that is one beautiful sight to behold.
        Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

I was down Sunday. The only thing left, not in a big pile, in the round building but, you can see the pile of 'guts' they've been tearing out. Workers were up on the roof Sunday, removing the "roofing." Should be in a pile too by next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
            So where is the painting now and what are the future housing plans for it?
            It's in the new visitors center run my the Gettysburg Foundation. You can see it for the low, low, price of $15, (I think), which also allows you to tour their PC, not for history buffs, but for tourists museum.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyDave View Post
              It's in the new visitors center run my the Gettysburg Foundation. You can see it for the low, low, price of $15, (I think), which also allows you to tour their PC, not for history buffs, but for tourists museum.
              Wow, these type of comments never cease to amaze me. I think that with the tearing down of the old museums, they symbolically tore down outdated museum practices. Just putting 100 examples of pistols and 400 examples of this type of musket on the wall teaches ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the Civil War or the battle of Gettysburg. If anyone can tell me how the old museums explained how the war started, and eventually made it's way to south-central PA, then I'd be astounded. It didn't. Gettysburg receives over 1 million visitors per year, and I'd hazard a guess (as a former employee) that the overwhelming majority have never been to the battlefield or any Civil War site. So how do 100s of guns and buckets of relics help visitors to understand anything? You also can't just jump into 1863 without understanding what led these armies to Gettysburg, you must have context. And for all those people who cry that there isn't as much out on exhibit-- this actually behooves you as you can (free of charge) go an examine objects in the collection that are not on exhibit. And "buffs" are already interested in the Civil War, while as "tourists" have that potential if they understand where they are and what happened--which the new museum does.

Not trying to hyjack the thread...just my two cents...
              Respectfully,
              -Kyle M. Stetz
              Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

Just putting 100 examples of pistols and 400 examples of this type of musket on the wall teaches ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the Civil War or the battle of Gettysburg.
                On the contrary, such a display is visually powerful and implants a sense of the battle's physical magnitude in the mind of the visitor. There is a similar display of the Fuller Gun Collection at Chickamauga that is jaw-dropping when the first-time visitor walks into a climate-controlled room and sees bank after bank of rifles from all eras of American history behind glass. Why GETT could not have had a similar display is incomprehensible and frustrating to those who think the Rosensteel Collection was equally as powerful. Even as mere decoration it could have served one purpose - to signal to the visitor that men were willing to take up arms and die for what they believed in - men by the thousands.

The USS Monitor Center at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, VA has a display that is remarkable in its objectivity about why the war was fought. It gives equal space to both sides and does in few words what the GETT museum fails to do in many. I suggest you visit it.
                Last edited by JimKindred; 03-05-2013, 08:44 AM. Reason: Political remarks removed.
                - Cyrus Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by NYCivilWar View Post
                  So how do 100s of guns and buckets of relics help visitors to understand anything? You also can't just jump into 1863 without understanding what led these armies to Gettysburg, you must have context.
                  They impacted me greatly as a kid. That is exactly the power and beauty of the White Oak Museum. Those relics communicated the scale and magnatude of what happened right outside the museum walls. I disagree that museums should deliver a crafted semiotic message. I have been through too many museums that are designed to move tourist past displays like cattle through chuts from pen to slaughterhouse (Compare the Georgia Aquarium to Shedd Aquarium, if you'd like an apolitical, non-Civil War example of what I'm talking about).

When I am in a museum, I enjoy being able to stop, look, ponder, and imagine. So do my kids.

[/rant mode]
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

They had 1/2 of the old round Cyclorama center down Saturday
                    Timothy J. Kuntz
                    " Well.... I'll try this again"
                    USV Reenacting since 198...errr...uh...Damm
                    Great-Great-Great Grandson of Prvt John Shertz 122PVI Co A
                    Lodge #43 F&AM Lancaster PA.

Comment

Working...
                    X