Gen. Grant's Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen. Grant's Coat

This is the coat that Gen. Grant wore when Gen. Lee surrendered to him in 1865. Article of Ray Richey's collection in the Texas Civil War Museum in FT. Worth, Texas.

If you ever get the chance to come down to Texas, you have got to see this museum!

Kevin Dally
    Kevin Dally

Re: Gen. Grant's Coat

Anybody else cringe at the images of him handling artifacts without gloves? Also, and perhaps I am deeply wrong on this issue, but shouldn't Grant's coat have a third star? The article quotes Grant's memoirs that he was wearing a private's blouse with lieutenant general's bars. I realize I'm surmising from a photograph, but something doesn't seem right.
    Last edited by J. Donaldson; 02-04-2013, 12:17 AM.
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

I agree with Bob, it does not appear to be something Grant would have worn. I could very well be wrong, but it just seems too flashy for Grant. Just my two cents.

~Corey O
      Corey O'Connor

De' Plum Crazy Mess

-[COLOR="Red"][I][U]Artillery[/U][/I][/COLOR]
      Never worry about a bullet with a name on it.
      Instead, worry about shrapnel addressed to occupant.

Comment

Why in earth would he be fingering that if it is in fact Grants sack coat. I just wanna punch people when i see stuff like that.
        Mike Brase
        Mike Brase
        Proprietor
        M.B. Young and Co.
        One of THEM!
        Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

I thought the same thing on the straps, seems to be missing a star. Also, the article states the coat was missing its buttons which was further evidence this was indeed the coat. However, it clearly has buttons. Did he put reproductions on the coat??
          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
          Civil War Digital Digest
          Sally Port Mess

Comment

Gents-

When I saw this post last night I had the exact same thoughts...major general shoulder boards...? Shouldn't he be wearing gloves...?

I would venture to guess every curator within a latex glove's reach are cringing at these pictures. The gentleman said he doesn't purchase something unless he has solid provenance...at 2 million dollars I hope he has more than the little that was mentioned in the article.

Nonetheless...if it is Grant's coat...very cool! Hopefully it can be examined by some people more in the know for such items.

Either way thanks for posting this Kevin!
            Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
            Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
            Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
            Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

This coat, formerly in the Don Tharpe collection, came to New York several years ago at a Civil War exhibit in the New-York Historical Society -- at that time, it didn't have buttons, was attributed to 1863, and then, too, billed only as "believed to have been worn" at Appomattox.
              Marc A. Hermann
              Liberty Rifles.
              MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
              Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

There are curatorial debates that go back and forth about the merits of wearing gloves while handling textiles. Some glove material, bleached or made with coarse material may damage an artifact based of course on the fabric and stability of the artifact. One way or another washed hands are preferred!
                Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

In 2006, shortly after Mr. Richey opened his museum, I chatted with him and toured the museum in preparation to writing an article about the museum for the Camp Chase Gazette magazine. One question and answer I've not forgotten was what is the hardest to find item with a credible provenance. Mr. Richey's immediate reply was any Federal fatigue coat, issued to an enlisted man. Clearly, General Grant's coat is a bit beyond that, as was the price he paid for it. I think it's time for another visit to the museum.

Phil McBride
                  The Alamo Rifles
                  Phil McBride
                  Author:
                  Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
                  Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
                  Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
                  Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
                  Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
                  Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Comment

Dallas news, headlines, weather, sports and traffic from KDFW FOX 4 News, serving Dallas-Fort Worth, North Texas and the state of Texas.

Kevin Dally
                    Kevin Dally

Comment

I wonder if the owner would consent to a palynological exam of the jacket; if it was as mud spattered as the sources say, and if it has not been dry cleaned at any time, then pollens may be present that could be studied.

Oh, to have a fraction of an oil man's mad money...

Alexander Vasquez
                      Formerly of Co. C, 15IA

Comment

Cant seem to see the pictures. Am I missing something?
                        [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
                        [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Working...
                        X