Newly conserved 6th NCST Battle flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly conserved 6th NCST Battle flag

The newly conserved battle flag of the Bloody Sixth was dedicated on Saturday April 6th at the North Carolina Museum of History. The flag, which was captured on April 6, 1865, has been in possession of the NC Museum since 1905, but has, so far as is known, never been seen by the public. It is scheduled to go on display later this year or next year in the Museum’s Sesquicentennial exhibit of the war years of 1864-65.

Note that the photo in the article is before the conservation effort.

~~~~~~~~
    Marc Cheek
    Co I - Cedar Fork Rifles
    6th NC State Troops

Re: Newly conserved 6th NCST Battle flag

Great to see another flag preserved for future generations!

As an aside. In regards to the missing star it could very well have been cut from the flag as a souvenir. Might be the case here, it could also have been cut and buried with one of the regiments officers when he passed away. A common sign of repsect given to very well thought of officers after the war too.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Re: Newly conserved 6th NCST Battle flag

Not a great photo, but it's the only one I have on hand right now. Beside the flag is the Fayetteville Light Infantry which served as a Color Guard for the ceremony.

Click image for larger version

Name:	521811_548131505226860_330335582_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	223781
      ~~~~~~~~
      Marc Cheek
      Co I - Cedar Fork Rifles
      6th NC State Troops

Comment

Working...
      X