Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. House Passes Battlefield Legislation

Great News and here is the best part about the program:
    Funding for this program comes from the Land and Water Conservation Fund —essentially the fees paid by utility companies drilling for oil and gas — NOT the American taxpayer.- Get off your butts AC goers and write your Senators.

(Washington, D.C.) – The U.S. House of Representatives today passed the American Battlefield Protection Program Amendments Act (H.R. 1033), a bipartisan bill authored by U.S. Rep. Rush Holt (NJ-12) that would provide competitive matching grants to preserve battlefields from the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Civil War.

“Sprawl and commercial development are threatening the historic sites where our nation was forged and shaped,” Holt said. “Each time a historic battlefield is replaced with a parking lot, a chapter of American history is obscured, and future generations lose an important window onto their heritage. This bill would provide matching funds that would leverage private efforts to preserve our nation’s past.”

Holt’s legislation would build on the success of the American Battlefield Protection Program (ABPP), which provides competitive matching grants that support private efforts to preserve Civil War sites. Since 1999, the program has helped to save more than 16,500 acres of historic sites in 14 states.

Holt’s bill would reauthorize the ABPP and create an identical program to preserve battlefields from the Revolutionary War and War of 1812. Similar legislation, also sponsored by Holt, has passed the U.S. House of Representatives in the last two sessions of Congress.
    The legislation is supported by numerous historic preservation organizations, including the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the Civil War Trust, the Crossroads of the American Revolution Association, and the National Parks Conservation Association.

“The public-private partnerships fostered through the American Battlefield Protection Program have been responsible for setting aside some of our nation’s most significant historic sites,” said James Lighthizer, president of the Civil War Trust. “But our nation was not only shaped on the battlefields of the 1860s — and this measure will help encourage the protection and appreciation of the full scope of our history.”

“With every year that goes by, this legislation grows more urgent,” said noted historian David Hackett Fischer in his testimony to Congress in support of the bill. “Sites now presently endangered include some of the most important events in the history of the American Revolution.”

Among the sites covered by Holt’s legislation are hundreds of battlefields and associated sites throughout New Jersey. A full list of eligible areas is available online in the National Park Service’s Report to Congress on the Historic Preservation of Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Sites and in the Civil War Sites Advisory Commission’s Report on the Nation’s Civil War Battlefields.

According to the National Park Service, the need to preserve battlefields from the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 is dire. Out of the 825 nationally significant battlefields and associated sites from these wars, 107 have been lost, 245 are in fragmented or poor condition, and 222 are in danger of being destroyed within the next ten years.

Sorry, the page you were looking for doesn’t exist. Have you tried our keyword search? Go to the homepage or email us at web@battlefields.org if we...
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Re: U.S. House Passes Battlefield Legislation

That's good to hear.....a break from all the 2nd Amendment stuff for a change.
    James Ross

Comment

This is good news, indeed! Each of us should contact the senators representing our states to make them aware of the legislation, that constituents of theirs are interested in its passage, and they should consider becoming a coauthor or cosponsor of the proposal during its consideration by the Senate. Information on how to contact senators is readily available on the Internet. In-person contact is best if any of us have an opportunity to meet any senators face-to-face. Letters are more effective than email messages, but even those are better than no communication from voters. Let’s get on this one! This proposal has all the right reasons for them to support it – apple pie, motherhood, patriotism. I worked on Capitol Hill for thirty years and can attest that constituent input is very important and often persuasive.

Your obedient servant,
      Tom Williams
      4th Virginia Infantry
      Indianapolis
      Tom Williams

Comment

I am happy to say one of my state's senators was pushing this.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I support legislation to preserve historic battlefields, but do not imagine for a moment that "the American taxpayer" is not footing the bill. Any cost incurred by a corporation is passed on to the consumer in the price of it's goods and services, including taxes and fees to the "Water Conservation Fund". Why should oil and gas drilling companies be singled out to pay for battlefield preservation, anyway?
          [B][/B][B][/B][B]Bill Slavin[/B]
          SUVCW, SVR,
          Liberty Guards Mess

GG Grandson of [B]Pvt. Willis Shattuck[/B] (1842-1912), Co. F, 16th NY Vol Inf and Co. K, 73rd Ohio Vol Inf

"[I]Dig [I]Johnnies! We're coming for you!"[/I][/I]
          Six foot seven inch tall Union Brigade Commander Newton Martin Curtis as he tossed a handful of shovels over the traverse at Fort Fisher. The shovels had been sent from the rear with the suggestion of entrenching for a siege.

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt. Shattuck View Post
            I support legislation to preserve historic battlefields, but do not imagine for a moment that "the American taxpayer" is not footing the bill. Any cost incurred by a corporation is passed on to the consumer in the price of it's goods and services, including taxes and fees to the "Water Conservation Fund". Why should oil and gas drilling companies be singled out to pay for battlefield preservation, anyway?
            So here's the deal - oil and gas companies are not being "singled out".They're paying a user fee for extracting resources from land you own. Generally speaking, if I want to use your land to make a profit you would be reasonable in expecting me to pay you for the privilege. These fees go into the land and water fund because this is seen as a way of mitigating some of the inevitable negative consequences associated with resource extraction. If you think for one moment that the price of gas would come down in some meaningful way if we let private companies take our stuff for free then... Well, I have this bridge I'd like to sell you.
            Peter Julius
            North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

This could fall into modern politics quickly, so let's stay on topic, please.
              Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Let’s make a statement for heritage preservation!

Strike while the iron is hot! We can get into long conversations about legislation that raises revenues as well as spending money, which can be fun for a political junky like me who has served the public as a government agency administrator, an elected public official and a professional lobbyist on the state level and in Washington City. However, that would distract us from capitalizing on an opportunity to promote historic preservation through the legislative appropriations process. Fellow historians, let’s get on this now!

At a time of tight government budgets, the policy-makers must prioritize the scarce resources at hand. Apparently, there is some interest in placing historic preservation ahead of other demands upon the public treasury, so now is the time to make our move! Regardless of how the funds are created and from what appropriations bill they come, it’s an opportunity we should not allow to pass.

Believe me when I tell you that it can be done! Let me cite one example. In the early 1990s questions were raised by members of the Indianapolis Civil War Round Table about the fate of Indiana’s battleflags. We found them in a basement storeroom of the Indiana War Memorial in various states of maintenance. Some were still in cases while others were folded on shelves and others literally draped over sawhorses! Three of us war buffs organized a coalition (we represented banking, auto dealers and labor unions) and found a special forces veteran of Vietnam, who was also a state senator, to push legislation to preserve the over 300 battleflags carried by Hoosiers in the war. In spite of a projected state budget deficit of $85 million our effort was successful in getting an initial appropriation of $500,000 from the state while the legislature also balanced the state budget that year. In subsequent years additional money was raised and the collection is now in optimum preservation status.

It has happened before with seemingly unrelated legislation. For instance, large parts of the Perryville battlefield have been saved by using funds appropriated to the department of transportation. The legislative process is not clean and certainly is not exactly as spelled out in our government textbooks, and that’s why the process is described as being akin to making sausage. But, let’s not get bogged down in trivia and lose sight of this wonderful opportunity before us.

We need to contact our senators! Let them know that constituents of theirs are interested in this legislation and would like their support of its passage. If they hear from enough of us it can make a difference. From my experience, face-to-face conversations are best with letters being effective and email messages being less effective but better than no contact. Information on how to contact senators can be found on the Internet.

Your obedient servant,
                Tom Williams
                4th Virginia Infantry
                Indianapolis
                Tom Williams

Comment

Amen, Tom! The preservation work with the Indiana Civil War Battleflags Commission is quite impressive and a great example of what can be done.

For those with some experience writing to members of Congress:
                  If someone would be willing to "grease the skids" for those less experienced, it might be a great help to create a bit of a "form letter". Not necessarily for folks to plug in the name of their senators and reps and mail, but to get the right "bullet points" in a coherent and effective form so guys can write to their members of Congress.

...just a thought.
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                  X