Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grave injustice: Group fights to reclaim cemetery's lost Medal of Honor recipients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grave injustice: Group fights to reclaim cemetery's lost Medal of Honor recipients

We have gotten such a good response to this story on the AC Facebook page that I thought we might as well share it on the forum.

Grave injustice: Group fights to reclaim cemetery's lost Medal of Honor recipients

By Cristina Corbin

Hidden in the jungle-like underbrush and Japanese knotweed smothering tombstones in an abandoned Philadelphia cemetery, Sam Ricks found his calling: to uncover and restore the graves of America's bravest -- forgotten heroes dating back to the Revolutionary War, 21 of whom are Medal of Honor recipients.

Ricks and his co-workers are painstakingly chopping through over-growth with machetes at Mount Moriah Cemetery, an estimated 380-acre historic graveyard straddling Philadelphia and Yeadon, Pa., in a quest to preserve history. Buried within the decrepit cemetery are 2,300 Navy and Marines dating from the Revolutionary War to the War of 1812 all the way to the Korean and Vietnam wars, according to Ricks. The graveyard is also the final resting place for 404 Union soldiers who fought in the Civil War, a few sailors, and two Confederate prisoners of war from the Battle of Sharpsburg.

And then there are the unmarked or dilapidated graves of heroes waiting to be identified.

"This is the heritage of our country," Ricks told FoxNews.com. "These stones -- they're not high-ranking officials or generals -- these are the enlisted men who fought the battles. And we're trying to tell their story.

"These guys didn't write history, they made it," he said.

The largest cemetery in Pennsylvania, Mount Moriah was officially abandoned in April 2011. At the time, the city was poised to cite the cemetery for various code violations, according to Ricks, a Philadelphia resident who has Confederate ancestors buried in Virginia.

"The employees just up and left," he said. "They put up a notice that said it was closed to burials."

Following a public uproar, the city intervened and brought in equipment to cut the grass. But it did not take responsibility for the graveyard that holds the largest number of Medal of Honor recipients in the state, Ricks said.

For information on how to donate to restoration efforts, visit FriendsofMountMoriahCemetery.org

Full story with photos is here - http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/27...or-recipients/
    Jim Kindred

Re: Grave injustice: Group fights to reclaim cemetery's lost Medal of Honor recipients

It's great to see something is being done to restore and preserve this historic cemetery. I know and fear it will come down to local citizens to take care of our honored dead more and more.

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."
    President George Washington
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Working...
    X