Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fort Belvoir (Virginia) US Army "Museum Support Center" historical artifact depository (Grant's Kepi etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Belvoir (Virginia) US Army "Museum Support Center" historical artifact depository (Grant's Kepi etc)

Hi,
    apologies if this has been covered already but I wondered if this is widely known? It seems this facility has Grant's kepi, does anyone have any knowledge of anything else of Civil War significance it may house (not already shown in this article). I've often wondered if there is more to come to light at some point - from official government sources that is.

It reminds me of the UK's Imperial War Museum in London. Many years ago I visited to view some artifacts and was told that only 10% of their inventory is on display, and that there are crates full of uniforms etc dating back to 1945, many of which that have never been opened since WW2....

Museum Support Center at Fort Belvoir, Va., restores and houses hundreds of years of Army history -- everything from musician uniforms from the 1820's to bottled water handed out in Iraq.

It seems there are plans to build a new museum to display the artifacts:-

"there are major fundraising hurdles to jump before the museum can be built. The foundation’s president recently told the Washington Post that they have raised $76 million of the $175 million required for the museum and predicts the museum could open in 2018. The plan is to build the museum at Fort Belvoir"

Let's hope so!

Regards, Paul
    Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Re: Fort Belvoir (Virginia) US Army "Museum Support Center" historical artifact depository (Grant's Kepi etc)

Paul,
    Call the information number ((703) 545-6700) ask for Miguel Valdez who was the registrar in 2012. Unsure if he is still the registrar there but if he is not ask for the Museum Support Center Registrar. Once you get ahold of one of them ask if there is a collections database which can be searched publicly!
    Drew
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Re: Fort Belvoir (Virginia) US Army "Museum Support Center" historical artifact depository (Grant's Kepi etc)

The Army Historical Foundation is raising funds to build a state of the art National Army Museum in the vicinity of Fort Belvoir. Unfortunately they are less than half way to their goal in fundraising. The MSC is where all major Army Historical artifacts that are not in exhibit or storage at other Army Museums, i.e. the Infantry Museum, Armor Museum, here at our Field Artillery Museum and Fort Sill National Historic Landmark at Fort Sill, etc, are theoretically to be stored at the MSC facility which has the most modern facilities available to protect and preserve treasures, especially fabrics like uniforms and flags. It is also to be a training facility for all of the folks who work in the Army Museum system. It is indeed a great facility and yes, they have more CW items than I can enumerate. I've been there 3 times, and it is awe inspiring. And BTW, the guy who more or less is the senior guy there is a fellow many of you may recognize his name; Chris Semancik.

Unfortunately, it is not a museum, nor can you just go visit.

However, if you want to see this awesome collection, you can join the Army Historical Society or contribute so we can build the National Army Museum!!! https://armyhistory.org/
      Last edited by Pennvolunteer; 02-24-2014, 04:02 PM. Reason: more info
      Frank Siltman
      24th Mo Vol Inf
      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
      Company of Military Historians
      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

This looks interesting:
        Becky Morgan

Comment

Working...
        X