Good news at Gettysburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWT: Good news at Gettysburg

GETTYSBURG - For almost a century, the small, historic stone house on Chambersburg Road has been obscured by the commercial buildings surrounding it.
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Re: Good news at Gettysburg

AMAZING... I never thought I'd see the hotel and brew pub gone, and the HQ restored. Although I have to admit, I did frequent that brew pub :wink_smil
    Paul Boccadoro
    Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Thanks for sharing Mike.

This is awesome news. A tall task stands before the CWPT to return Lee's HQ to its 1863 appearance. If you follow the link below it provides some more information of interest concerning the structure and at the bottom there is apicture of how it looks today. Removing the addition is going to be major work.

Sorry, the page you were looking for doesn’t exist. Have you tried our keyword search? Go to the homepage or email us at web@battlefields.org if we...
      Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

This is good news, indeed! Thank you to the CWPT and its supporters.

Tom Williams
        4th Virginia Infantry
        Indianapolis
        Tom Williams

Comment

Well, like with the National Tower, a piece of my childhood is going away. Tough spot for someone who advocates for battlefield preservation/restoration, when it affects something you've known well. Any mention of the child's grave that's behind one of the buildings?
          Marc A. Hermann
          Liberty Rifles.
          MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
          Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

This is amazing!!! Was just there with the family from Idaho for the first time in a few years on Father's Day and my daughter, whose 9th grade history project was Gettysburg, lamented that the little house she labeled Lee's HQ on the diorama she built was not part of the park. And here we are two weeks later...and it is. Donate $50 gang and you get a T-shirt, which in my case is going to said daughter.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

On one hand, that's great. On the other, man, I'll never get to stay or have breakfast there again...but we did once. I'm so glad the place is going to be properly preserved.
              Becky Morgan

Comment

We just stayed there this past weekend, the man running the counter told us about this.
                Daniel A. Houde - Proprietor
                Orchard Hill Cutlery
                On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OrchardHillCutlery

149th NYSV Co. B
                www.149thnewyork.com

PM Cobleskill Lodge #394 F.& A.M.
                A.A.S.R. Valley of Schenectady
                Oneonta Chapter #277 R.A.M.

"Uncal Sam has about as much care for his nefews as he has for his horses and mules" (Unidentified Union Soldier)

Comment

Alas, I'm torn. I've stayed at those tourist cabins, man and boy, since the mid-1950s. Stayed there this past week. Enjoyed a delayed honeymoon there in 1970. Believe Civil War vets stayed there for the 75th anniversary of the battle. And, as I understand it, the jury's out as to how much Lee used the place, if at all, as opposed to his headquarters tent complex across Chambersburg Pike.
                  Now if I could employ some Russian separatists to shoot down that great white whale of a helium(?) balloon....
                  David Fox

Comment

Exactly, David. For years, I'd always heard that Lee's actual use of the Thompson house (if not the property itself) as a true HEADQUARTERS is conjectural. It's one of those things like the Wax Museum or Electric Map, where the place itself had its own history as part of the ongoing story that is GNMP.

Just spent a weekend there, too. In a room where, according to the home video clip, I'd not stayed since a night in 1987 when John Larroquette filled in for Carson on "The Tonight Show."

The balloon is visible plainly from McPherson's Ridge, and will take a lot of getting used to.

In other news, the former Wax Museum (American Civil War Museum/Heritage Museum) seems to be off to a good start. The few kiosks they have right now give some great info, courtesy of Tim Smith and Gary Adelman. The new film in the "battle room," the wax figures in which remain, is surprisingly good, and, I contend, does a better job of summarizing the battle than the Visitor Center. Some great footage from "Maryland, My Maryland" in there.
                    Marc A. Hermann
                    Liberty Rifles.
                    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I to am a little sad over the news--- We are in Gettysburg a lot and that is where we stay.... now we have to find some other motel and have to be around those obnoxious reenactors walking all over the place!!!

CSuniforms
                      Tom Arliskas
                      Tom Arliskas

Comment

I've only been to Gettysburg once, and that's where we stayed. Nice, clean, quiet and friendly place. Ate dinner one night at the brewhouse...one of the worst meals we've ever had! Looking forward to returning after the renovation is complete.
                        C. Scott Brown
                        Co M 1st MO Light Artillery Turner Brigade
                        Camp Commander, SUVCW Sigel Camp #614 Dept. of MO
                        Chaplain, SUVCW Dept. of MO
                        Treasurer, S. Central MO Civil War Round Table
                        Civil War Trust Member

[B]In honor of my paternal Great-grandfather, Pvt. Francis Marion Brown, Co. D, 29th IL Inf[/B] &
                        [B]my maternal Great great-grandfather, Pvt. James Madison Hendrickson, along with brothers Pvt. Thomas Jefferson Hendrickson and Pvt. Solomon Hendrickson, all of Co. G, 99th IL Inf[/B]

Comment

Working...
                        X