Archaeology at Fort Negley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archaeology at Fort Negley

For those who may have been following the most recent preservation efforts and the successful campaign to stop a mixed use development from being built on the site of the old Nashville Sounds stadium that is adjacent to Fort Negley...Please consider donating today.

Mods - please delete if this violates forum protocol.
    Tony Morreale

Re: Archaeology at Fort Negley

Here's my suggestion, a letter to the Metro Parks would be a wise idea.

Not to be mean, but just based upon how little information is provided, I'm leery. I'm very leery.There's no information about the Metropolitan Historical Commission Foundation (who are they and who sits on the board?) and there's nothing substantive about either them or the project in the website. Who is in charge of this project: the state, the county, the city? If there's federal money or permits involved, Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act kicks in which adds a whole new dimension to the project. Also, who will lead the initial survey: CRM archaeologists, university archaeologists, city planners? It's curious that the State Historic Preservation Office isn't mentioned. Similarly, if the purpose is to learn about African-American contributions during the war, it's odd that the black community isn't involved. New York City found to their dismay, when it tried to build a GSA building on the spot of an 18th century African burial ground, just what happens when projects involving human remains isn't done with the proper cultural involvement. Just imagine if this was the site of an Indian mound. I wonder, too, if they've approached the National Park Service' American Battlefield Protection Plan and have applied for a grant. And these are just the most obvious questions.

I realize I'm being something of a nay-sayer, but they're going up a bureaucracy and they need to be creative and thorough. They need a much more persuasive and compelling argument than what's shown here. Perhaps all that info's available and I haven't seen it, but an easily-accessible fact sheet addressing some of the issues would not only give the project credibility, it would certainly help with fund raising.

Here's the NPS manual: https://www.nps.gov/abpp/SurveyManua...20Reviewed.pdf

For what my two cents are worth ...
    James Brenner

Comment

Re: Archaeology at Fort Negley

Metro Historical Commission
      MHC works to document history, save and reuse buildings, and make the public more aware of the necessity and advantages of preservation in Nashville and Davidson County. Created in 1966, the commission consists of fifteen citizens appointed by the mayor.

Our Board
      Ann Eaden, President
      Carter Baker, Michael Emrick, Cindee Gold, Janet Kurtz, Jill Meese, Reavis Mitchell, Liz Parrott, Mary Ellen Pethel, Ann Roberts, Laura Rost, Steve Sirls, Phil Thomason, Lea Williams, Tim Walker, Ex-officio

[my bold]
      Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Working...
      X