New Market preliminaries in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Market preliminaries in

Sources report that it looks like the reenactment will contribute around $20,000 to the battlefield park.

Good job.
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Re: New Market preliminaries in

I'd like to add that the Independent Volunteer Rifles conducted a living history in the town of New Market the same weekend. This event, which was planned and sponsored by the 10th Virginia Infantry, raised an additional $3,000.
    Bill Reagan
    23rd Reg't
    Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Bill - that is fantastic - how did you do it?

What was the source of the New Market Event donations? Did a portion come from businesses that kicked in?

Preservation AAR's are something we should probably be storing on this site. Sounds like we have two great success stories here!
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

As one of the event cordinators , I can answer that question. I personally went to several local companies and asked for donations. I also went to friends and family members. I found the key to raising money for preservation is foot work! We were representing the 22ndVA that weekend, They occupied the town of New market. We stepped off at 8 o'clock Saturday morning 7 miles south of New Market on route 11. We arrived in town around 11 o'clock and rested till 12 to rest weary bones. We then march in the parade for the town. After the parade was over we recieved our ration issue. Most of the day was spent recovering and reflection. I must add that this was a seperate event to the one at the mainstream event. The money we raised goes to 100% preservation. I would like to personally thank all the members of the IVR and all who attended. When you go on a preservation march you get an idea of what those boys went through every day! There are talks of doing one for Cedar Creek. Cpl Dan Morgan 10thVA(IVR)

Comment

Dan,

If you could contact me offline about a possible march to Cedar Creek I would appreciate it. Take care.
          [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

There ya have it, a few dedicated folks in the IVR raise $3000 from OUTSIDE the hobby, mostly businesses, and the effort focuses on an event. Thats the way to do it.

Congrats to all!
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by dusty27
              Sources report that it looks like the reenactment will contribute around $20,000 to the battlefield park.

Good job.

Just received this information in a letter today from the New Market Battlefield Park. The 140th New Market event raised over $50,000 for much needed projects to upgrade the Park. This is more than DOUBLE the original estimates made right after the event a few weeks ago. It is the largest amount the event has raised in the five years I've worked on the Living History programs at the Bushong Farm at the event.

Some of the improvements that have been made in the park, since money from the event started going back INTO the park five years ago, include a new fence around the entire farm complex and the start of renovations on some of the buildings in the Bushong Farm complex. I know the park has an ambitious plan of overhauling the exhibits in the Hall of Valor and Bushong House over the next several years.

Although most units look down on the New Market event, I'd like to just remind everyone that it is one of the few events you'll ever do that's 1) on the ORIGINAL battlefield, 2) has some of the original or reconstructed farm buildings that were there at the time of the battle (a BIG plus for civilians who can actually DO something at an event), and 3) almost ALWAYS has the same EXACT weather that occurred during the battle (RAIN.)

Yeah, so I-81 is right there....but I have to tell you I was there for four days during the reeanctment and the ONLY time I heard the noise from I-81 was when someone pointed it out to me....I was so into what I was doing at the farm and my tasks at hand that I didn't notice it the whole weekend.

I think a little bit of sacrifice to save and preserve an original battlefield and farm/farm buildings isn't too much to ask, do you?

I hope to see more of you at the 2005 New Market event.

And.....THANKS to all of those reenactors and civilians who came to this year's event and helped raise those much needed funds for the park!!!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Stacy Hampton[/FONT]

Atlantic Guard Soldier Aid Society
              [URL="http://www.agsas.org/"]http://www.agsas.org[/URL]
              The Company of Military Historians
              [URL]http://www.military-historians.org/[/URL]

Comment

Stacy - can you give us some of the details about how such an impressive sum was raised for the park...such as how much from registration, how much from donations, private vs business, etc?

Thanks!
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper
                  Stacy - can you give us some of the details about how such an impressive sum was raised for the park...such as how much from registration, how much from donations, private vs business, etc?

Thanks!

Doug,

In the past I believe the funds raised for the park came from the reenactor fees and the spectator ticket sales. Last year, the park received $110,000 from The Center for Civil War Living History, Inc. donated on behalf of the nearly 3,000 reenactors who donated their time and skills during the production of the movie Gods and Generals.

I'm waiting for the breakdown from the Park and will post them when I receive them.

Thanks for your interest!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Stacy Hampton[/FONT]

Atlantic Guard Soldier Aid Society
                  [URL="http://www.agsas.org/"]http://www.agsas.org[/URL]
                  The Company of Military Historians
                  [URL]http://www.military-historians.org/[/URL]

Comment

Pards, I was at New Market batlefield yesterday. They have put in a new bathrooms, they are next to the Hall of Valor. They have also improved the interpetation of the battlefield with walking tour guides and demonstrations. The Bushong house needs some work. I think the event is not what it could be, but I am happy to raise money for them. Respectfully,

Comment

Working...
                    X