Antebellum Slave Market Threatened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antebellum Slave Market Threatened

I was reading the latest copy of the National Trust's Preservation magazine this evening and came across this news item. I hadn't really heard about this before. This has been in the works since April apparently. If anyone in that area has updates on this situation, I'd like to know more. Thanks!

Preservation
    July/August 2004
    page 20

Threatened
    Antebellum Slave Market, Richmond, Va.: 19 pre-Civil War buildings, including jails and auction houses, plus burial and hanging grounds, would be covered by proposed stadium for Atlanta Braves' farm club in Shockoe Bottom neighborhood.

Lizama, Juan Antonio. "Stadium, Shockoe visions develop
    Group opposes a downtown ballpark but offers brighter prospects for The Diamond" (Jun 20, 2004) Richmond Times-Dispatch http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet...=1045855934842, (accessed [25 June 2004])

Stadium, Shockoe visions develop
    Group opposes a downtown ballpark but offers brighter prospects for The Diamond

BY JUAN ANTONIO LIZAMA
    TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Jun 20, 2004

A new task force met for the first time yesterday to brainstorm ideas to improve The Diamond and keep a new baseball stadium out of Shockoe Bottom.

"A group of us realized that we can't just say, 'No, you can't put a stadium here,'" said Kim Chen, a volunteer with the event organizer, Alliance to Conserve Old Richmond Neighborhoods (ACORN).

The idea of building a baseball stadium in the night-life-rich Shockoe Bottom area east of downtown was the brainchild of a group of local business leaders and the Richmond Braves.

Two months ago, they proposed the Richmond Ballpark Initiative, which calls for building a $58 million ballpark between Main Street Station and Franklin, Broad and 18th streets. The proposed stadium, just north of the 17th Street Farmers' Market, would feature 7,500 seats and 20 skyboxes.

Since it was announced, the plan has encountered opposition from ACORN and a number of other groups.

Yesterday a couple of dozen people, including architects, engineers, planners, historians and concerned city residents, showed up for three hours of brainstorming at the Virginia Holocaust Museum on East Cary Street.

Chen said ACORN wants to create a shared vision of what Shockoe Bottom and The Diamond could be.

"This is the first step," she said. "We're not looking at walking out of here with a finished product."

"Today it's not intended to be a debate about the pros and cons."

The goal was to come up with ideas to preserve historic sites and structures while creating a retail, commercial and residential mix and a hub for historic tourism.

Shockoe Bottom, which was laid out in 1737 by Col. William Byrd, has a lot of Jewish and African-American history that needs to be preserved, Chen said.

"That is where the city where we all live now began," she said. "Every first that you can think of is within that area."

Yesterday, members of the task force divided into groups focusing on Shockoe Bottom or The Diamond.

The Shockoe Bottom group discussed the area's character, assets, transportation, uses and possible future uses.

Jennie Dotts, executive director of ACORN, said future possibilities include reconstructing historic sites such as the slave auction block and Lumpkins Jail.

Kim Sharp, who lives in Fulton Hill, said the group hopes to lure visitors to Shockoe Bottom but wants to keep the area pedestrian-friendly. Providing public transportation could be the answer, she said.

"It's about connecting the city of Richmond to this area," she said.

The Diamond group suggested that the area around the present baseball stadium could be developed into an athletic village.

Chen said the group is up against a deadline and expects to have a plan finished in about a month.

"We would like to have an opportunity to present it to City Council and representatives from this neighborhood," she said.

"We are not developers. We have no financial stake in whatever happens with this plan."

Chen thanked those present and reminded them that there will be more meetings.

"This is not the end of the process," she said. "We want to keep expanding."

Contact Juan Antonio Lizama at (804) 524-9724 or jlizama@timesdispatch.com

Goodrich, George. "Play Ball: RBI acquires land for downtown ballpark" July 2004 Richmond Magazine.
    http://www.richmond.com/richmondmaga...cfm?ID=3045410, (accessed [25 June 2004])

Crocker, Robb. "Shockoe Stadium:A proposed new baseball stadium in Shockoe Bottom is already causing controversy" (April 22, 2004) Richmond.com,
    http://www.richmond.com/locallife/ou...ical=locallife, (accessed [25 June 2004])

Re: Antebellum Slave Market Threatened

THIS IS GOING TO BE A TOUGH ONE PEOPLE.

Family members of the Trustees of The Historic Richmond Foundation are supporting the ballpark.
    Last edited by dusty27; 06-25-2004, 09:27 PM.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

My father contacted the director of the HRF and asked about the proposed ballpark.

Here is the Historic Richmond Foundation's stand as of today. Good news?

HRF's position on the proposed stadium in Shockoe Bottom, or any other proposed development of similar scale and potential impact, is that no buildings or structures that could contribute to the adjacent City Old and Historic District should be demolished.

Further, HRF has taken the position that if the City or any other entity should seek the establishment of an urban renewal district in that area for the purpose of securing the right of property condemnation, HRF will mount a legal challenge of that action.

Don Charles
      Executive Director
      Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 06-28-2004, 10:56 AM.
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Sounds promising!! I hope they identify all of the historic buildings that might be affected by this project and not just the ones that are in or may contribute to the historic districts.
        Matthew Rector

Comment

As a local, most of us don't support moving the ballpark. First, the already low turnout for Braves games cannot be helped by moving them into the boarderland between a wine-and-cheese studio-apartment area and a HUD housing development zone. Second, except for the Shockoe Slip restaurant district, nothing "Richmond Renaissance" has pushed has done anything but waste public funds, i.e. Sixth St. Marketplace, Main St. Station Mall, etc. Third, the ballpark already resides in the main athletic area in town surrounded by the Sportsbackers Stadium and the Arthur Ashe Athletic Complex. I hadn't even realized that the plans for the new ballfield threatened historic buildings. As usual, the only motive for this move is to massage egos within an inbred conclave of municipal boosters :baring_te . If it happens, it will be another failure for Richmond's planning commission and civic groups. Thank God I live outside the city limits... I'd hate to see my tax dollars wasted in Richmond fashion... Hanover County does stupid enough stuff :tounge_sm .

Dave Eggleston
          Dave Eggleston

Comment

Thanks Dave,

I was actually getting ready to post and ask how the R-Braves are being supported attendance wise...how is the Richmond area supporting it and do they really think a new park will spark the team and the fans?

I dare say 100 % of our members oppose this development but I worry about the general public's view on promised revenue and cold beer on a hot summer night by the river...
            Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 06-28-2004, 11:36 AM.
            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

I just hope the Historic Richmond Foundation, the Valentine Museum, the Virginia Historical Society, and such groups can stop this monstrosity from happening. Our former mayor, current Lt. Governor and gubernatorial candidate may be behind the scenes pushing this for prestige purposes. After all, our Governor has pretty much hung him out to dry politically. If his old city cronies can push through a brand-new shiny stadium in a revitalized riverside commercial and entertainment district, it can only help the Hon. Tim Kaine. His supporting higher taxes and gun control have pretty well given the Governor's Mansion to the Attorney General. If Kaine views this as a statewide vote-getter, we're up against a big hitter. Just my political analysis.

Dave Eggleston
              Dave Eggleston

Comment

Re: Article from Preservation Online

Here is an article that just appeared on the National Trust for Historic Preservation's "Preservation Online". The Story of the Week....

Lewis, Laura.“Richmond's Major-League Debate.” Preservation Online, September 3, 2004. http://www.nationaltrust.org/Magazine/story/index.htm (accessed 3 September 2004).

Excerpt from the article:
                "The total number of likely demolitions to advance this project is no less than 18," Kathleen S. Kilpatrick, director of the Virginia Department for Historic Resources, said in a letter on June 3 to Tim Davey of RBI's executive committee. She identified the buildings based on information posted by RBI on the Richmond Braves Web site. Collectively, Kilpatrick says, the buildings contribute to the historic district; she worries that tampering with enough of them could "trigger" the district's removal from the national and state lists.
                Matthew Rector

Comment

Working...
                X