Joining the CWPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the CWPT

No big deal, but I let my membership lapse with the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and have thrown in with the CWPT Organization.

I had to take a hard look at how much, or lack of “Preservation” was being accomplished with the SCV, and see if my efforts could be better directed elsewhere.

Having seen the postings that "Dusty" Chapman has on the ACPP, (You can’t avoid them!) and others, I thought it was the only way to go. In the words of Gerald Hodge, the web master of the 39th Georgia web site: “Battlefields need to be preserved. It, like our artifacts, gives us a tangible link to our ancestors. We get to walk the terrain and in some cases see the battlefields as what they were in the 1860s.”

I have to agree, I’m just not into worrying about the legalities of my kids waving a Battle Flag in their school. I have actually run into SCV folk who won’t go for Battlefield Preservation because it becomes a stepping-stone for Jessie Jackson JR’s ideals (AKA “Slave Walls”) at the Nat’l battlefield Parks.

I live in Texas, and having been at Pickett’s Mill, Kennesaw Mountain, New Hope Church, Chickamauga/Chattanooga, the Franklin & Nashville area, I can see the development that has totally squatted on top of/around those Battlefields. I have seen the aerial photo’s of the Mansfield Battle site, with the mining going on there, and applauded the efforts of Danny McCoslin, Doug Cooper, and the others involved in getting funding for buying land for preservation there.

I’m not trying to talk anyone into giving up any organization, but needed to take a new direction. Having looked at several possibilities, I guess I want to be on a winning team!
    Hope others will follow.
    Respectfully:

Kevin Dally
    Last edited by dusty27; 07-29-2004, 12:12 PM.
    Kevin Dally

Re: Joining the CWPT

Welcome aboard, Kevin.
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

I, too, have just joined CWPT. That organization and INAC get all of the monies that I can afford to contribute to charitable organizations.

Bill Eiff
      [FONT="Trebuchet MS"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][/COLOR][/FONT]War-battered dogs are we
      Fighters in every clime,
      Fillers of trench and grave,
      Mockers, bemocked by time.
      War-dogs, hungry and grey,
      Gnawing a naked bone,
      Fighters in every clime,
      Every cause but our own.

Comment

Bully! I came to that conclusion a while back! Cpl Dan Morgan 10thVA(IVR)

Comment

Dang right I'm a member, and give extra when I can. If we as serious re-enactors don't help, we can't expect others to. When our History is gone, it will be gone forever, everyone please join and give what you can....
          John Barr
          2nd Delaware

Comment

Originally posted by Pritchett Ball
            No big deal, but I let my membership lapse with the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and have thrown in with the CWPT Organization.

I had to take a hard look at how much, or lack of “Preservation” was being accomplished with the SCV, and see if my efforts could be better directed elsewhere.

I’m just not into worrying about the legalities of my kids waving a Battle Flag in their school.
            I assume when you joined the SCV you did so out of respect for your southern ancestor and to honor the memory of the Confederate soldier. The SCV has never claimed that it's purpose is to save battlefields.

I am a member of both the SCV and the CWPT. I believe that battlefields should be saved. I also believe that the right to fly the Confederate battle flag and preserving the good name of the Confederate soldier is worth fighting for. It's a little more complicated than waving a flag at school.
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I am a member of both the SCV and the CWPT. I believe that battlefields should be saved. I also believe that the right to fly the Confederate battle flag and preserving the good name of the Confederate soldier is worth fighting for. It's a little more complicated than waving a flag at school.

I would have to agree with Jim.
              Jason Lewis

Comment

Everyone:

Thanks for the follow-up postings to date.

This could really degenerate into a Pro vs. Anti debate on the SCV. That is the last thing I want on this BB. My original posting was intended to show where I had to place personal, deeper convictions first.

I had to choose an organization that had a reputation of DOING what it set out to do. I can get on this site; see postings of a section of Battlefield being preserved, or an Island not going to be developed, after all. I am confident that people in charge know what they are doing, and that future generations will see the fruits of our labor. THAT’S Heritage preservation.

I go out of my way to still attend (as a rifleman) SCV Monument & Marker Dedications, in the best authentic clothing & equipage I know how. I have placed several Confederate Markers in the ground myself, including one for my GGGrandfather, and have attended SCV Living History displays, when possible. I even had a fellow get in my face about me being at a Dedication, knowing I was not an SCV member. I told him that was like saying you had to be in the Military, to be a patriot! :sarcastic Give me a break.

I have plenty of ancestors who were Confederate soldiers, even have a typed copy of a diary that a Cousin of my GGGrandmother wrote about his time in the WBTS. That’s one reason I frequent this BB, to find out info on what they what they had, and when they had it! I study to know about the Confederate Soldier, what his experiences were, what he ate, how he camped…and try to pass that onto the unknowing, or less informed. Hey, that’s what this Authentic Campaigner stuff is about!

Please keep posting your thoughts, there are NO totally wrong or right answers here, just keep it simple, and remember, it’s something I felt was the right thing to do!

Everyone can decide for themselves.
                Respectfully:

Kevin Dally
                Kevin Dally

Comment

Working...
                X