Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Author Peter Cozzens to speak at Corinth Interpretive Center

From the Friday 30 July edition of the Daily Corinthian:

Career foreign service officer will talk about his book of the Battle of Corinth

A career foreign service officer who has written or edited 14 critically acclaimed books on the Civil War and the Indian Wars will be the featured speaker Saturday at the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center.
    Peter Cozzens will discuss his highly acclaimed study of warfare in Corinth and Iuka and be available to sign copies of his book. Cozzens is the author of “The Darkest Days of the War: The Battles of Iuka and Corinth”.
    The author’s presentation will specifically focus on the role of General Earl Van Dorn in the Battle of Corinth.
    Cozzens’ book was the first book length study of the battles of Iuka and Corinth. Relying on painstaking research, Cozzens presents the tactical story of the battles in rich detail, with troop movements plotted down to the regimental level.
    Along with the detailed description of the battle, Cozzens’s book turned the spotlight on the personalities involved in the conflict and the consequences of conflict among the commanders.
    Cozzens has spent his professional career as a Foreign Service Officer with the U.S. Department of State. Among his many positions, he served as Deputy Consul General to the U.S. Embassy in Panama.
    Despite his longtime association with diplomacy, Cozzens is best known for his work as a Civil War historian. His books, “This Terrible Sound: The Battle of Chickamauga” and “The Shipwreck of Their Hopes, the Battles for Chattanooga” were chosen by Civil War Magazine as two of the 100 greatest books ever written on the Civil War. His is also the author of “No Better Place to Die: The Battle of Stones River”.
    Jim Kindred

Re: Author Peter Cozzens to speak at Corinth Interpretive Center

Jim,

Mr. Cozzens gave a talk at the Atlanta History Society ten years ago upon the release of his book on the Atlanta Campaign.

Although he is a most prolific writer & historian, the lecture he gave at the AHS was perhaps the most boring speech I ever witnessed ... and not because of the topic ... but because he was reading directly from his book in a monotone voice that could be best compared to ben stein's classroom rollcall in 'ferris beuller'.

Comment

Re: Author Peter Cozzens to speak at Corinth Interpretive Center

Scott,

Thanks, I had planned on skipping this one myself. :wink_smil I can't sit there that long.
      Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
      X