Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACPP project incentives

Gentlemen-

As an additional incentive, I will custom make an enlisted CS kepi OR a US forage cap for the person who first donates $75.00 to the ACPP project. Claim this incentive by posting on this message, send Dusty the check, send me your choice, size, etc.

On a related subject, we ask for your support of our preservation project. We are holding a raffle of a framed Don Troiani print for the benefit of the of historic Sandusky. You can view the print by going to:

http://www.historicsandusky.org

We recently underwent two unexpected preservation projects which need funding. First, the North chimney on the house had some serious issues, like not having any mortar to hold it together. It was in danger of falling over, and when it rained it caused some mold in the master bedroom. See attached pictures taken last week. They are still working on it, even today.

The other project is the conservation of a vast amount of historical artifacts and documents that was donated last week to the museum. The conservation materials alone ran over $300.00.

Included in this wonderful grouping are the following:

1) Three army commissions for George C. Hutter, two are signed by James Monroe, one by Polk. Hutter served in the US Army from 1821-1861. He served briefly as paymaster for the Virginia State Forces in 1861, he was asked by Jefferson Davis to serve as Paymaster to the Confederacy which he declined due to age. He did send his three sons to the war.

2) George C. Hutter's certificate showing he was a Master Mason, dated 1824

3) A letter written to Hutter from Zachary Taylor in the 1820's

4) George Hutter's diary from 1821, the year he joined the army. He mentions Zachary Taylor and Andrew Jackson repeatedly

5) Hutter's two handwritten wills

6) A 1/2 plate ambrotype of Hutter's son, James Risque Hutter taken ca. 1859. Image shows Risque posed with two of his comrades in their VMI uniforms. Risque was with the VMI contingent at John Brown's hanging. He was later wounded & captured at Pickett's Charge.

7) Risque Hutter's VMI journal/daybook ca. 1859, but with entries postwar as well. Filled with poetry, songs, diary entries, etc.

8) Over $2,000 (face value) of Confederate money & Virginia Treasury notes. Not sure why the family had this except that Ferdinand Hutter (brother to Risque) was a paymaster in the Confederacy and signed & issued Robert E. Lee's first check for services as a Confederate officer.

9) 1850's payroll sheet indicating the persons George C. Hutter paid off. Names like Garnett, Jefferson Davis, Longstreet appear.

10) Several 11th Virginia muster rolls

11) Several items relating to Peter J. Otey, brother to Gaston Otey (whose uniform appears in all the coffee table books) Otey's parents were owners of Sandusky ca. 1820-1840. Peter Otey served as a Confederate officer was possibly a New Market cadet (in process of verifying).

12) The original deed from the sale of Sandusky to Christopher Clark (law apprentice under Patrick Henry), from Charles Johnston (Uncle of Joseph E. Johnston).

13) Original Empire furniture, original to the house during the Civil War.

14) 1850's coverlet original to the house

15) Numerous pieces of family silver, all engraved with "H" or "Hutter". Family legend is that the silver was hidden in some bushes during the Union occupation.

And numerous other artifacts, papers, and documents which are still being catalogued. All these pieces of Southern history are in need to preservation (they were stored in a metal box- some items have condition problems).

By supporting this raffle you support the preservation of this historic site. The raffle funds can be used to pay for unexpected, but critical, expenses like these, and allows us to keep paying the mortgage payment to the bank.

Plus you might win a Troiani print with a value of over $500.00 (print & frame). Tickets are $5 each or three for $10.

Any questions, drop me an e-mail, thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

Greg Starbuck
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dusty27; 08-04-2004, 09:41 AM. Reason: My emphasis
    The brave respect the brave. The brave
    Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
    That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
    And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

Sandusky Preservation!

As Greg said, tickets for the raffle are $5 each or 3 for $10. You can buy tickets on-line via paypal through me at coop2911@msn.com. Please use the title "Sandusky Preservation Raffle." I will acknowledge the purchase to you via e-mail and Greg will assign ticket numbers.

Additionally, I will match the next 10 ticket buyers (must be 10 different buyers either on-line or by mail) with an additional $5 ticket. I will be sending a check to Greg for $50 for Sandusky. For example if you buy 3 tickets you get one more free for a total of 4.

Thanks for your support,
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Re: ACPP project incentives

Greg, thanks very much for the generous offer to make a cap for the first $75 donation. I will let you know if and when I receive an eligible donation.

Also, everyone, please try to help out Sandusky by purchasing raffle tickets. I have done so and the folks there got my tickets out to me immediately.

Thanks to those who have given.
      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Greg, came home to see this. Will let you know when I see his check.....

Hi, Dusty,
        Was saving $ for a size "0" federal cap for my 7-year-old, so is this a great incentive or what? A Starbuck cap at a discount price with the proceeds helping preserve hallowed ground!

If you will take a check for the $75, I will send it on Friday (payday) and email Greg my son's measurements.

We go to several ceremonial events each year, including dedications of new or replacement headstones and monuments, and he would prefer to wear a nicer cap than what typically comes in children's sizes. I was wondering aloud to Greg on which contractor made the caps for Abe's boy and the drummer Clem of Chickamauga fame -- he said send the dimension when I've got the dough, and he'd be able to make one to scale ... and here we are!

Thanks for your enthusiasm. I may be bugging you this winter as we plan a dedication ceremony for headstones for previously unmarked graves of 25 Yanks and 5 Rebels in a local cemetery. (Interestingly enough, there are several CSA graves there, including one for a veteran of the Alabama's last stand in France!)

Ever forward,

Paul Hadley
        Commander, Dept. of Neb., SUVCW
        Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

The ACPP incentive cap has been claimed. Thanks for playing everyone. Thanks for Dusty and Paul Hadley.

I will sponsor another sort of preservation money raising incentive in the near future. Watch for details.

Sincerely,

Greg Starbuck
          The brave respect the brave. The brave
          Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
          That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
          And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

Comment

Bump - offer from me for an extra ticket for each of the next 10 raffle ticket orders is still good, so please help with the effort at Sandusky. Greg has done so much for the hobby and esp preservation, it is time for us to give something back.

Besides...its a great print, framed to boot...and as the winner of a 1000 to 1 shot on a Cedar Creek Troiani Preservation Raffle a few moons ago, I can vouch that you can win!

thanks!
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
            X