• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy to search for sunken Civil War submarine off N.C. coast

Navy to search for sunken Civil War submarine off N.C. coast

COX NEWS SERVICE
    Thursday, August 5, 2004
    ATLANTA

Naval historians and archaeologists will put to sea this month to find the remains of the U.S. Navy's first submarine off North Carolina.
    The target of the search by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Office of Naval Research is one of the most innovative, least celebrated vessels of the Civil War: the hand-crank-powered USS Alligator, which sank in a storm off Cape Hatteras in 1863.
    Discovery of the Alligator, a 47-foot-long iron vessel that resembled its namesake, could shed new light on Civil War naval technology, an era of innovation that has risen to prominence with the recent recovery of the Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley and the turret of the Union ironclad USS Monitor.

The Alligator was built for the Navy in 1861 in Philadelphia. On its first mission in 1862, it proved useless against its intended target, a bridge on Virginia's Appomattox River. The river was too shallow.
    After spending a year in the Navy yard in Washington being refitted, the Alligator sank off Cape Hatteras as it was being towed south for the attack on Charleston Harbor in South Carolina.
    Never tested in battle, the USS Alligator might have remained a footnote to history had it not been for a chance discovery two years ago in a North Carolina bookstore.

Certain that her husband would be interested in the magazine she had found, Nancy Cohen showed him an article on "the North's only submarine."
    Her husband, Rear Adm. Jay Cohen, a submariner and the chief of the Office of Naval Research, ordered some historical research - and the Alligator Project took on a life of its own.
    Late this month, NOAA and Navy scientists will spend a week in the search area. No one expects instant success.

"They're looking for a 47-foot boat at the bottom of a big ocean," said James Christley, a naval historian and retired submariner assisting in the research.

This story can be found at:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031777119451&path=!nationworld&s=1037645509161
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][SIZE=4]Matt Crouch[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue][I]All of the top achievers I know are life-long learners... Looking for new skills, insights, and ideas. If they're not learning, they're not growing... not moving toward excellence. [/I][/COLOR] [B]Denis Waitley [/B]

Re: Navy to search for sunken Civil War submarine off N.C. coast

Interesting story. The "second" Northern-built submersible, "Intelligent Whale," still exists and is currently on display at the National Guard Militia Museum of New Jersey. "IW" was reportedly built in 1863 but not formally transferred to the U. S. Navy until 1869:

A graduate thesis has also been recently written about the "IW":

Hitchcock, Peter Winston. Intelligent Whale: A Historical and Archaeological Analysis of an ‎American Civil War Submersible. 2002, M. A. Texas A & M University.‎

Here's another thesis that might be of interest:

Wills, Richard K. The Louisiana State Museum Vessel: A Historical and Archaeological ‎Analysis of an American Civil War Submersible Boat. 2000, M. S. Texas A & M University.

Here are online abstracts of both theses:

Here's an interesting U. S. Navy page on the history of submersible development:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I'll be down that way in three weeks. I'll keep my eye out for it also.....:wink_smil
      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Weve got one down here in Mobile Bay that nobody seems to know or care about, it was deployed several months before the Hunley, and was swamped. A few hundred yards from that we've got the USS Techumpsa(sic). I wish someone big like the Navy would show some interest in it.
        Eric Ball
        Co. A, 62nd Ala. Inf.
        (1st Ala. Reserves)
        Lockhart's mess
        Eric Z. Ball

11B2P
        OEF 10; OEF 11- "College is expensive..." :rolleyes:

GGG Grandson of William Calloway Barnett
        Co. A/F 1st Alabama Infantry
        KIA Island #10 09APR1862

Comment

Working...