OP ED on Williamsburg Battlefield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OP ED on Williamsburg Battlefield

http://www.dailypress.com/news/opinion/dp-51387sy0aug02,0,7838932.story?coll=dp-opinion-editorials

Another Voice: Respecting Civil War history

By Tom McMahon

August 2 2004

With interest I read the "New developments" editorial on the Colonial Williamsburg/Riverside Health System land sale on July 23. Trying to ridicule the desire to preserve the Williamsburg Civil War battlefield with allusion that "in history-rich Southeast Virginia, almost everywhere you dig or build, there's a chance of treading on historic artifacts and connections" exposes the typical belief that Civil War "enthusiasts" or "buffs," as we are often labeled, are a band of inflexible nutters, who want 1,000 acres preserved around every skirmish and historic clam bake that ever occurred.

As a pragmatic historian and preservationist, I recognize that development has become a certainty around Williamsburg. I also recognize that Williamsburg's Civil War history has not been well publicized, long playing second fiddle to the distinct Colonial focus in the region. However, neither of these factors warrants casual dismissal of bona fide history relating to this epoch.

The remnants of the Williamsburg Civil War battlefield are worthy of preservation on several accounts. Foremost is the sad fact that the majority of the battlefield has already been destroyed by unsympathetic or uniformed development. It is very difficult to believe that Williamsburg truly is a place where "the present lives harmoniously with the past" when only three lonely acres of land have been purposely saved as a remembrance to the battle in the 142 years since it was fought.

If development "must proceed sensitively," why hasn't it done so with regard to the battlefield? Zoning requirements do not require the historical research desperately needed to compliment archeological surveys. Findings must be weighed against the need for development and prosperity, but equity should prevail. Otherwise permanent destruction of the core of the Williamsburg battlefield will continue.

Second in the long list of why the battlefield should be afforded more prominent consideration and preservation is, contrary to Daily Press opinion, the fact it is certainly not everywhere in Southeast Virginia that you actually find a localized battlefield that witnessed more than 4,300 casualties.

The Williamsburg battlefield is additionally unique in that it contains (contained) a line of fortifications with a storied history. Originally constructed by Confederate soldiers and slaves in 1861, the fortifications played a prominent role in the May 5, 1862, battle. During the remainder of the war, they were used by the occupying Union garrison. At war's end, several were then used by the black community for protection from the Ku Klux Klan, and one housed a freedman's school run by Pennsylvania Quakers.

The battlefield is still the presumed resting place for many of the Confederate soldiers killed in action who were unceremoniously buried on the field and never reinterred. Their unmarked graves likely reside in an area stretching from the CW/Riverside parcel, under James and York Terraces, to the Colonial Parkway near Jones Pond. If these facts do not qualify as historic or sanctified ground, it is hard to imagine what does, but they readily explain why I and others have been working to found the Williamsburg Battlefield Trust.

I am not against the CW sale of the land to Riverside. I lament that Colonial Williamsburg did not take the opportunity to preserve land that has distinct Civil War history associated with it, during the last 40-50 years of ownership. However, this is the past and cannot be undone. I sincerely hope that the community at large can, moving forward, learn from it. If so, a new era of appreciation for Williamsburg's substantive 19th-century history might emerge, and develop as a perfect compliment for tourism drawn to the Historic Triangle.

Perhaps Riverside will take the opportunity to sympathetically develop the land and preserve and interpret some of the site that relates to the Civil War. Such development might be the catalyst for change and the root of preserving for future generations the Civil War history that has long waited to emerge from the shadows in Williamsburg.

McMahon, a Battle of Williamsburg historian, resides in Round Hill in Northern Virginia.
    Copyright © 2004, Daily Press
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][SIZE=4]Matt Crouch[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue][I]All of the top achievers I know are life-long learners... Looking for new skills, insights, and ideas. If they're not learning, they're not growing... not moving toward excellence. [/I][/COLOR] [B]Denis Waitley [/B]

What is planned

Riverside to save historic earthworks
    The health system is working to preserve Civil War sites as part of its development in Williamsburg.

BY DAPHNE SASHIN
    223-5684

July 28 2004

WILLIAMSBURG -- Riverside Health System plans to turn two Civil War redoubts at Tutter's Pond into a park with interpretive signs and a walking trail, said the Civil War expert working with Riverside.

The Newport News-based system recently made a deal with the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation to buy a 350-acre site bounded by Route 60, Route 199 and Quarterpath Road for an estimated $33 million. The company plans to build a nursing center, medical offices, homes and other buildings.

Civil War preservationists were mustering the troops to save some of the few remaining landmarks of the 1862 Battle of Williamsburg. But Riverside officials said they were aware early on of the need to preserve the land's role in Civil War history.

They discussed plans for the site Tuesday with John Quarstein, director of the Virginia War Museum and an expert on local Civil War history.

"We often think of Williamsburg just specifically as the Colonial period, but there's a history there that goes beyond that, and this site has that," said Rick Pearce, president and chief executive officer of Riverside. "I think it's the sort of thing that would be interesting and appealing to people, too."

The two forts along Quarterpath Road were among 14 that the Confederate Army built across the Peninsula in 1861 as a defensive line. The Battle of Williamsburg wasn't considered one of the war's bigger battles - and both sides considered it a victory - but it was the bloodiest in the East to that point, Quarstein said.

Much of the battlefield was lost to development more than 50 years ago.

"There are very few portions of the battlefield where you can still go and visit, and then when you go and visit them, they're not effectively interpreted," Quarstein said.

"This will enhance the visitor's ability to learn more about the Civil War when they are in Williamsburg."

The city will require Riverside to conduct an archaeological review of the property as part of its site-plan application.

Part of the site is designated as special archaeological protection district, which means that "no archaeological resource shall be modified, damaged or destroyed" unless approval is granted by the city's Planning Commission, Williamsburg Planning Director Reed Nester said.

Once a developer finds something of archaeological significance, its choices are to "leave it alone, restore it, or restore it and celebrate it," said Willa Kuh, project manager with Sasaki Associates, the Massachusetts-based planning firm working with Riverside.

"You want to create resources that have value to the community as a tourist destination. If it's architecture or valued open space, you want a place that's used by the community itself, not just the tourists; and then there's an interpretive element, so people can understand what they're looking at."

Riverside is working with Colonial Williamsburg Foundation archaeologists to study the land for 17th- and 18th- century significance.

And it's working with Quarstein to transform the Civil War earthworks into a park.

"We would have interpretive signs, which are like a marker, that deal with the Civil War, as well as what else you saw," Quarstein said.

"There would be a trail that would take people through the property and would basically teach people about the history that you would be seeing."

Tom McMahon, a William and Mary graduate who's writing a book about the battle, said that if Riverside committed to doing this, it would be "the first substantial preservation of the battlefield ever."

"It could be a good example of how sympathetic development can be environmentally and historically sensitive, something that much more of is needed," McMahon said.

Historic preservation has become important to communities - and in turn, developers - in the past 15 years, Quarstein said.

Riverside is working with the Friends of the National Park Service for Green Spring Plantation to help develop the site of English royal Gov. William Berkeley's 17th-century mansion and farm in James City County.

The land lies next to Riverside's retirement community, Patriot's Colony.

"I think people today are recognizing that instead of trying to fight history, let's embrace it," Quarstein said.

"Whereas you can't do it everywhere, when you have those opportunities like Riverside has now, Riverside has decided to do the right thing."
    Copyright © 2004, Daily Press
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][SIZE=4]Matt Crouch[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue][I]All of the top achievers I know are life-long learners... Looking for new skills, insights, and ideas. If they're not learning, they're not growing... not moving toward excellence. [/I][/COLOR] [B]Denis Waitley [/B]

Comment

Working...
    X