• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News from Franklin

The full report here.

National battlefield park proposal raised by mayor
    By CLINT CONFEHR / Review Appeal Senior Staff Reporter

As Franklin intends to spend $8 million to buy a horse farm and preserve its heritage, the mayor wants to spend $2.5 million more to preserve parts of the Franklin Battlefield.

Aldermen on Tuesday night voted 7-1 to buy Harlinsdale, a 200-acre horse farm on the west side of Franklin Road. Its scenic vista is to be preserved, as is its rich history with Tennessee Walking Horses.

Yesterday, Mayor Tom Miller said if preservationists and Civil War buffs can raise $2.5 million to help buy land for a battlefield park, then the city board should match that to buy the Country Club of Franklin. If half can’t be raised privately, then the city board should move on to other business.

In that vein, Miller has outlined for Franklin’s aldermen a way to create a national battlefield park here including donation of city and privately held properties as well as public-private acquisition of the golf course on Lewisburg Pike.

Miller consulted with Rod and Kay Heller in Washington, D.C., recently about their ownership of the golf course, and with legislative aides for U.S. Sens. Bill Frist and Lamar Alexander, and U.S. Reps. Marsha Blackburn, Lincoln Davis and Zack Wamp.

“The creation of a national battlefield park in Franklin is a possibility, but not without a great deal of time and effort on everyone’s part,” Miller said. “The approximately 100 acres of the Country Club of Franklin ... would have to be an integral part of such a plan.”

Franklin could donate Winstead Hill and Fort Granger, and privately held parts of the battlefield could also be donated, Miller said. Although he was not specific, an example may be Collins’ Farm on Lewisburg Pike near the country club.

The Hellers purchased the country club property and continued a lease to the business but said they won’t hold the land forever, although they’re offering the city and preservation groups an option to purchase the land set for development with homes by its previous owner.

“They want nonrefundable monies as consideration for the term of the option,” Miller said of what could be a two-year contract he plans to present to the Budget and Finance Advisory Committee.

The city and preservationists ought to pay the Hellers $100,000 a year each to cover the landowners’ debt service, the mayor said.

While the mayor hadn’t discussed an amount for the earnest money with the Hellers, he told aldermen, “It will need to be in the $200,000 range” with half from the city and half from private sources.

Heller bought the land for $5 million in 2003. That price to buy the land from the Hellers would be split between the city and private sources.

“The city, subject to the consensus of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen, would match the money raised by the coalition,” Miller said of money needed to buy the golf course.

Miller and City Administrator Jay Johnson also met with officials of the National Park Service’s American Battlefield Preservation Program, who are familiar with Franklin and welcome the chance to provide technical assistance, Johnson said.

Miller last Friday met with the Franklin-based Coalition for the Preservation of Historic Open Space, a gathering of all preservation organizations in Williamson County and nearby.

Miller plans to “challenge them to raise half the money necessary to acquire the and fund any other development costs in the creation of a Franklin National Battlefield Park,” the mayor told aldermen.

Miller’s challenge isn’t new but it’s documented in a memo and the enthusiasm he showed to more than a dozen preservationists on Friday.

“We’re very lucky to have Tom Miller,” said Robert Hicks, one of the co-chairs with Nashville-area attorney Julian Bibb of the Coalition for the Preservation of Historic Open Space. Nearly 7,500 people visit Franklin annually for Civil War tourism, while 200,000 visit Murfreesboro because of the Stones River National Battlefield, Hicks said. That’s a source of revenue for the city from people who spend more than the average tourist.
    Last edited by paulcalloway; 08-14-2004, 07:35 PM.
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Re: News from Franklin

Here are the replies to this article when it was posted on the temporary AC site.

Post 1:
    Wow - now here is something we can get behind!! Would the Save the Franklin Battlefield folks be the natural group to lead/organize us as part of the effort?

Talk about a chance to make a difference. This is it gang.

Doug Cooper

Post 2:
    This is good news. Right when I thought development could take the whole battlefield. Is there any way we can help push the effort for it to become National Park Service land?

Riley Ewen
    Matthew Rector

Comment

Callin' in the big guns...............

Franklin’s Charge takes off:
      Coalition launches drive to buy golf course

By CLINT CONFEHR / Review Appeal Senior Staff Reporter

http://reviewappeal.midsouthnews.com...key=1093174146

A series of ads give a striking sense to the message of Franklin’s Charge, which is seeking to raise $2.5 million toward the purchase of the 110-acre Country Club of Franklin. (Artwork Courtesy of Lewis Communications)
      Nearly $875,000 in pledges were announced Friday night by Franklin’s Charge, a coalition of preservation groups working toward meeting a $2.5 million goal to match money Franklin Mayor Tom Miller hopes to obtain from the city board.

If successful, the public-private partnership would purchase more than 100 acres operated by the Country Club of Franklin from Washington, D.C., residents Rod and Kay Heller, who bought the property for $5 million to stop a housing development planned there.

Rod Heller is a descendant of Randal McGavock, the first owner of Carnton Plantation at the eastern flank of the Franklin Battlefield. Miller consulted with the Hellers last month, amplified their challenge to the Franklin community so they can resell the land for a battlefield park, and met with the coalition. Franklin residents Robert Hicks and Julian Bibb co-chair the coalition.

Two weeks ago, the coalition had pledges worth $150,000, Hicks told several hundred people gathered Friday under a tent at Carnton Plantation at what was originally billed as a kickoff for the coalition’s fund-raising campaign. Now it’s $875,000.

Nashville recording artists Amy Grant and Vince Gill hosted the event at Historic Carnton Plantation where Grant, a longtime friend of Hicks, explained Hicks’ pitch for her support.

“The best thing about hearing history from Robert is it’s like hearing something at the hairdressers,” said Grant, who then quoted Hicks’ opening words to her on the telephone. “‘If you have a brain in your head, you’ll hang up.’

“I was hooked,” Grant said.

She said she’s “going to tap” business associates at a Cincinnati mall for help since she sang there for its opening, and then Friday night Grant sang Joni Mitchell’s “Big Yellow Taxi” lyrics: “‘They paved paradise and put up a parking lot ... ’

“This is my stock,” Grant said from the Carnton mansion porch, recalling Carrie McGavock’s “guts” to wear a black dress and no gloves at age 17 when her portrait was painted, foreshadowing Confederate soldiers’ death in her home-turned-field hospital.

The Battle of Franklin included the “five bloodiest hours of the Civil War,” with more dead and wounded than 19 hours of D-Day, or any one year during the Vietnam War, save one, and when the smoke cleared here there were more dead than alive in Franklin, Hicks said. The battle changed the war.

Noting his call for people to “be grateful to the Hellers that this property will not be another development,” Grant emphasized “the fact that this land has not been built on, but has been putt upon,” provides an opportunity to preserve heritage.

As for Gill, he “understood” the Country Club of Franklin had experienced financial difficulties, and “I don’t know how many golf courses are on battlefields. That should be fairly sacred. There are plenty of places to play golf.”

As country club members say they have 800 signatures on a petition against city participation in the purchase of the property, signatures were collected Friday to support use of public funds to match their contributions.

Friday night, state Rep. Charles Sargent (R-Franklin) attended with Rep. Steve McDaniel (R-Parkers Crossroads) who, Sargent said, was instrumental in getting a $250,000 grant for the planned battlefield park from the members of the Civil War Preservation Trust.

Reclaiming the golf course for a battlefield park “needs doing,” said Douglas Brouder, foundation and major gifts officer for the Civil War Preservation Trust, which has 60,000 members. “I don’t know that we’ve seen a land reclamation.”

Economist William Wade, president of Energy & Water Economics in Columbia, attended and said open-space preservation enhances property values and heritage tourism.

Coalition leaders report 200,000 people visit Murfreesboro because of Stones River National Battlefield Park, but only 35,000 visit Franklin, many looking for the battlefield.

A battlefield park here “would be an attraction and have an economic value beyond” the cost of the golf course, Miller said.

The mayor challenged the groups, noting “for the first time the city’s preservation groups have joined together. They’re all here tonight under one tent.”

Those groups are the Heritage Foundation of Franklin and Williamson County, Historic Carnton Plantation, The Carter House, the African American Heritage Society, The McLemore House, Natchez Place, Save The Franklin Battlefield Inc. and the Williamson County Historical Society.

Senior Staff Reporter Clint Confehr can be contacted at clint@reviewappeal.com.
      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

Comment

Letter against the battlefield park

City leaders, others have forsaken country club’s gift to the Franklin community

To the Editor: Many people see the Country Club of Franklin as an irrelevant group occupying a valuable piece of land that must be protected from the sprawl of urban development and greed. This must be done at all costs, no matter how fiscally unsound.

While we can all agree that development of this alleged battlefield area would not benefit the city or its citizens, the true value of the Carnton Club (the original name) should be duly noted and not forgotten. For over 30 years, this club has provided untold benefits to this community.

The club is a place to meet new friends, a place to be active and, of course, a place to strengthen families. Strong communities are built on solid relationships and the Carnton Club has given the city of Franklin this elusive gift for decades. Our city leaders and others have now suddenly jumped on the bandwagon to forsake that gift.

Over my nearly 35 years of membership at the club, I have come to know so many of Franklin’s forward thinkers, leaders and role models. Among those are names like Dismukes, Erwin, Lanier, Brinkley, Thomas, Cook, Peach, Brent, Bush, North, Joslin, Williams and even Miller, just to name a very few. Franklin’s prosperity, morality and lifestyle are shaped by the building blocks of our society … our people. Whether it’s the old-timers or relative newcomers whose names end in “i,” we all build and nurture the bonds of friendships and relationships at places like the Carnton Club. To dismiss such quaint gems of our community as irrelevant will be our fatal flaw.

Over the many years, the Carnton Club has represented more than just a small golf club stuck over there in a flood plain of the Harpeth River. It’s the countless hours I spent with my dad on the golf course and tennis courts and the many tournaments we enjoyed together. (Who can forget those golf/tennis tournaments?) It’s my turn now to have a place for a leisurely round of golf with my kids, hit some tennis balls or watch them compete for the swim team. And, later on … just sit around sipping a soda while solving life’s many problems.

But, unfortunately for the club, I see the writing on the wall and the words don’t seem to include the priorities that have proven so beneficial for the Franklin community for so many years … family relationships. Occasionally, one of our children will glance over and say, “We’re making memories.” What a feeling. Could I have filed away so many great memories or built the same strong relationship I enjoyed with my dad at some other place? Maybe. But on a battlefield park bench? I think not.

Oh, if I could only sing!

Dr. J.A. Reynolds
        1214 Murfreesboro Road
        Franklin 37064
        Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Comment

That's some funny stuff!

That list of names reads like a Mickey Mouse roll call of the town leaders back in the 1960's and 70's. Those people are not among the forward thinkers and leaders of the community.

Dear Dr. Reynolds forgot to mention the night some boys, who's families were members of good Ol' Carnton Club, got drunk and kicked over headstones in the Confederate Cemetary. The forward thinkers got together and convinced the judge (another forward thinker) to let the boys off with no punishment cause they were good boys and meant no harm.

I'm glad to see some positive activity in this town after so many years of watching it wash down the toilet.

The real news that I haven't seen posted on here yet (and pardon if it has been and I missed it) is that the City of Franklin pretty much told WalMart to go away and take their proposed store with them. WalMart wanted to buy some land below Winstead Hill and build yet another superstore on the site. Franklin handed them some design requirements with full knowledge that WalMart could not/would not comply. Good-bye Big Box!

Rome wasn't built in a day,
          Joe Smotherman

Comment

I find it hard to believe that someone could say something so goofy. The benefits of a Country Club are only to a few--a VERY few--elite. City pools and public golf courses do a much better job of giving benefits to families and their communities. Country clubs (and I have relatives who are/have been memebrs of some) serve largely to have a nice little island for you and your kind (whatever "kind" that may be) away from the rest of the mass of humanity.

But the most ludicrous thing was "alleged battlefield". That' unbelievable. I guess that makes Gettysburg, Utah Beach, and Yorktown "alleged battlefields". It's amazing how upset people will get over such small things in the big picture. Maybe we should start a movment to put a Country Club on the bluffs overlooking Utah Beach!

Surely, not being far from NAshville, there are plenty of ritzy Country Clubs for herr doktor to join. And surely he can afford a little extra gas in his Beamer to get there.

This guy seems so mixed up in his priorities it would make me a little fearful to have him as my doctor.
            [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

Now you can begin to understand how some elements of American society see their role. Bonding with Dad cant take place at a historic site. Heaven forbid!! True memories can only be made at private clubs which are the last bastion of cultural morality. Thank god for these elitists to remind us that American history need be forgotten in order that their "Izod" memories can be experienced by their pampered offspring. Complete rubbish.

Kent Dorr
              "Carnton Club Caddyshack" Mess

Comment

Working...
              X