A Treasure Preserved: 6th SCV Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Treasure Preserved: 6th SCV Flag

I am very pleased to announce the return to Columbia, SC's Confederate Relic Room and Museum, of the battle flag of the 6th Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers. The 6th flag (p. 243, "Echoes of Glory") has been undergoing conservation at Textile Preservation Associates in Maryland.

Battle honors on this flag include Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Malvern Hill, Frazier's Farm, Gaines' Mill, 2nd Manassas; it's one of only 13 original silk issue battle flags still known to exist. Our museum was given this flag in 1909.

From the TPA's description: "This flag is constructed in the pattern of the Army of Northern Virginia with a red silk field, blue silk cross, white silk border fimbration. The stars are painted with a gold pigment. The red silk quadrants are each constructed of two pieces of fabric seamed diagonally. The blue silk cross measures approximately 7 1/2" in width with the long arm running from the top hoist to the bottom fly. Each cross arm has a seam running down the center lengthwise. There are twelve five-pointed stars applied to each side of the cross with a gold pigment. The stars measure 3" point to point and are arranged with three on each arm of the cross. The white silk fimbration measures 5/8" in length. There is a 2 1/4" white silk border on the top, fly and bottom edges. The leading edge has a 1 3/8" wide white cotton hoist. There is evidence of at least 11 tack holes along the hoist for attachment. There is also a pair of 7/8" wide silk ribbon ties crudely sewn to the top end of the hoist with a dark blue thread. There are stiches at the center and the bottom end of the hoist with the same blue thread though there are no ties remaining. The flag is hand sewn throughout. The unit designation has been applied with black pigment to a strip of tan cotton fabric approx. 18" by 5" as follows: "6th Reg,t S.C.V." in 3" Roman lettering. The fabric was then crudely stitched to the hoist quadrant on the obverse side with the top edge along the hoist at a right angle to the bottom edge. There are six battle honors similiarly applied to the obverse side of the flag by first being printed or stencilled onto cotton fabric...the lettering on "MANASSES" appears to have first been misspelled and the correct letters were then printed over but they can still be seen, "MANASISES". The same procedure was used to construct duplicate battle honors for the reverse side of the flag, but the unit designation was not duplicated and appears only on the obverse."

A true historical treasure, and if you're ever in the area drop by and see it ('course it's in the Prep Room at the moment - just came in yesterday). And the Relic Room (www.crr.sc.gov) is ,of course, also eagerly accepting donations toward the conservation of this terrific flag - I will happily put interested parties in touch with our directer, Allen Roberson. Many thanks -

Joe, great news but please sign all your posts. Using the auto-signature feature in your profile is the easiest way to do this. - mc
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dusty27; 12-16-2003, 04:04 PM.
    Joe Long
    Curator of Education
    South Carolina Confederate Relic Room
    Columbia, South Carolina

[I][COLOR=DarkRed]Blood is on my sabre yet, for I never thought to wipe it off. All this is horrid; but such are the horrors of war.[/COLOR][/I] Wade Hampton III, 2 January 1863

Re: A Treasure Preserved: 6th SCV Flag

Another view, with some perspective on size...
    Attached Files
    Joe Long
    Curator of Education
    South Carolina Confederate Relic Room
    Columbia, South Carolina

[I][COLOR=DarkRed]Blood is on my sabre yet, for I never thought to wipe it off. All this is horrid; but such are the horrors of war.[/COLOR][/I] Wade Hampton III, 2 January 1863

Comment

Working...
    X