Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempt to purchase Cleburne marker site

City negotiating with Pizza Hut to buy battlefield land

By CLINT CONFEHR / Review Appeal Senior Staff Reporter Franklin is negotiating to buy a pizzeria on Columbia Avenue in hopes of combining it with other land to create a Civil War landmark park, Mayor Tom Miller has announced.

“Subject to city board approval, the city has made an offer to Pizza Hut,” Miller said Thursday night to an audience of about 65 people at Moore Elementary School. “It’s a dollars and sense issue.”

Pizza Hut’s asking price was $390,000, Miller said after his constituent meeting for residents of Franklin’s 3rd Ward.

Nearby, the Heritage Foundation of Franklin and Williamson County owns a blue house occupied by the law firm of Brasfield and Milazo on Cleburne Street.

Dubbed the “Cotton Gin House,” the building is where the Carter family processed cotton. It was the bloodiest place of the Battle of Franklin.

“They could reconstruct the cotton gin which was there originally,” Alderwoman Pam Lewis said.

Miller said if the city bought the Pizza Hut, it would tear it down and create open green space on land seen as a good place for one of a series of battlefield parks to give visitors a better understanding of the battle.

“The Heritage Foundation bought the cotton gin property in the mid-1990s,” said Mary Pearce, executive director of the foundation. “It’s always been the vision of the Carter House Association and the foundation that these parcels could be combined for an interpretive presentation of what was an integral part of the Battle of Franklin.”

Part of its significance is that location is where Gen. Patrick Cleburne, a very popular Irish Confederate general, died.

“We are presently paying for the property with rent we are receiving,” Pearce said. “It’s a win-win, and we anticipate several years will pass before it would not be available.”

Dick Sammer of Vision Real Estate is the intermediary for Franklin in its negotiations with Pizza Hut’s Dallas office, Miller said. Pizza Hut is headquartered in Wichita, Kan.

Combining the Heritage Foundation property with city-owned land — assuming acquisition of the pizzeria is accomplished — “is the theory behind a National Battlefield Park,” Miller said.

Combining the pizzeria property with other land could be one of several sites throughout Franklin which, on their own, couldn’t be a national park, but together they could provide visitors with a comprehensive understanding of the Battle of Franklin, Miller explained.

Winstead Hill and Fort Granger are city parks which could be provided for the National Park Service toward that larger idea, the mayor has explained.

“There is no guarantee this will happen,” he said. “The National Park Service has been told not to add other parks, but we know two were added in the last four years, although they were fairly small.”

Franklin’s negotiations with Pizza Hut started about three weeks ago, he said.

Correction 8/19/04

Contrary to statements attributed to Mayor Tom Miller on Saturday, Franklin is not negotiating with Pizza Hut to buy land on Columbia Avenue, said Patty Sullivan, a spokeswoman for Pizza Hut of Wichita, Kan., not Dallas. U.S. Restaurant Properties Inc., a real estate investment trust, owns the land leased for a Pizza Hut, Sullivan said.
    Last edited by dusty27; 08-19-2004, 07:27 AM.
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Re: Attempt to purchase Cleburne marker site

This is great news for Franklin. I hope that it happens. I have been to Franklin many times and I love the town. The lack of preservation there is sad, but there seems to be alot of effort to help remedy this. I would love to see a national park at Franklin. This was a significant battle in the west that many people do not know that much about. The sheer numbers of the Confederate charge was larger than Pickets Charge at Gettysburg. Franklin has alot to offer: The Carter House, The Carnton Plantation and McGavock Mansion, Winstead Hill and Fort Granger, etc. The problem now, as everyone knows, is the price of real estate in Franklin. By the way, I have been told numerous times by local historians, that the site of General Cleburnes death was in the back parking lot of that Pizza Hut near where the dumpster sits.
    Thanks
    Johnny Pullen
    Johnny Pullen
    Possum Skinners Mess
    Armory Guards
    WIG

"Mr. Davis tried to do what God failed to do. He tried to make a soldier of Braxton Bragg."
    General Joe Johnston

Comment

I'm sorry, but I have to say this...

PIZZA HUT?! WHAT?!

Sheesh. This sounds like something from "The Onion."
      Jason R. Wickersty
      http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
      Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
      Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
      Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
      Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Originally posted by Thehos Gendar
        I'm sorry, but I have to say this...

PIZZA HUT?! WHAT?!

Sheesh. This sounds like something from "The Onion."

That is indeed a fact! Some folks even refre to it as "The Patrick Ronayne Cleburne Memorial Pizza Hut".

Bill Eiff
        [FONT="Trebuchet MS"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][/COLOR][/FONT]War-battered dogs are we
        Fighters in every clime,
        Fillers of trench and grave,
        Mockers, bemocked by time.
        War-dogs, hungry and grey,
        Gnawing a naked bone,
        Fighters in every clime,
        Every cause but our own.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFenian
          That is indeed a fact! Some folks even refre to it as "The Patrick Ronayne Cleburne Memorial Pizza Hut".

Bill Eiff
          Sad but true, as a citizen of Franklin, I can tell you, the city has always paid lip service to Preservation, then at the last moment pulled the rug out from under them. If they (the city) wanted a Park/Greenspace so bad, they would have never built that eye sore of a library right in the middle of the Battlefield :baring_te . Yes, the new Mayor is supposed to be “Slow Growth” and “Preservation” minded but I have seen 1st hand how politics works here and all I can say is, I'll believe it when I see it!

Oh well at least we can dream. Keep your fingers crossed
          Trent Golden

Comment

Working...
          X