X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troiani weighs in on Franklin thru letter to editor

Franklin faces its very last opportunity
    to save largest remaining tract of battlefield

To the Editor: I am writing this letter from my perspective — a Civil War artist/historian, born in New York City, who has returned to Tennessee many times to try to capture those eventful hours that we call the Battle of Franklin. I might claim credentials that range from three commissions from the U.S. Mint for commemorative coins to my role as “uniform and equipage consultant” on the film “Cold Mountain,” but I lay all this aside and write to you now in my greater role as a fellow American.

Franklin now faces its very last opportunity to save and preserve, as public open space, the largest remaining undeveloped fragment of the battlefield. From my perspective, and most likely the perspective of every serious Civil War historian in the nation today, there would seem to be no legitimate argument otherwise.

Far from the claim that it was “an inconsequential battle fought after the outcome of the war was determined,” the Battle of Franklin remains that turning point in the war in the West that sealed the fate of the Southern Confederacy forever, and out of which, our country was reborn.

If Franklin’s leadership turns its back on this last opportunity for our nation to have a field in the battlefield at Franklin, they will have lost far more than all the tax dollars that every legitimate study says come with preserved battlefield park tourism. For they will have placed the interests of a segment of a small, private country club membership before the greater interests of the community as a whole and before our nation’s patrimony.

In one of the wealthiest counties in America, populated with many private and public golf courses, this small, private club is now demanding that the city’s leadership bale them out by not financially participating in the purchase of this land to transform it into public open space in the form of a preserved battlefield.

All this made even less sense when I found out that this very membership once owned the real estate, choosing to sell it rather than have themselves absorb the costs for clubhouse and course improvements.

It is my sincerest hope that the city and its leadership will transcend those who would rewrite history, bully officials and use whatever means possible to preserve for themselves what they freely sold and will have a greater vision for their community and our higher angels of history.

Don Troiani
    P.O. Box 660
    South Berry, CT 06488
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Re: Troiani weighs in on Franklin thru letter to editor

Dusty,
    Not to sound like an idiot, but out of curiousity, who did he send the letter to?
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat, not a dumb question. The letter appeared in the Franklin newspaper, The Review Appeal http://reviewappeal.midsouthnews.com/

I should have stated that.
      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Country Club Member's response to Don Troiani's letter.

From the Williamson Country Review Appeal
        Thursday, August 26, 2004
        http://reviewappeal.midsouthnews.com...iewStory=24694 (accessed on Aug 26 2004)

Local charities would lose out if country club is closed

The following letter, which was also copied to Franklin Mayor Tom Miller, is in response to a letter to the editor from Don Troiani in the Aug. 20 Williamson County Review Appeal concerning saving the remaining tract of battlefield land.

Dear Mr. Troiani:
        You are way off base. The people of Franklin are not against protecting historic battlefield property. Despite your superior credentials, there is severe doubt in the minds of serious students of history that the property you are referring to was much more than, as you state in your letter, a “fragment of the battlefield,” if that. The Web site for the Civil War Preservation Trust does not show this land as a part of the battlefield. For every expert supporting this issue, there are experts who feel it is a stretch — at best — to consider this as an actual battlefield.

This is not an elitist country club of the type I am sure you are familiar with in your social circle. It is a country club that offers the opportunity for middle-class people to belong to a club. It is a club whose members have an annual golf tournament that has raised $75,000 over the past three years. Last year, we contributed $33,000 to the American Cancer Society. We will beat that number this year. This is a club where other area groups have fund-raisers that contribute a lot of money to local charities. The Cancer Society tournament will definitely be eliminated if the country club is closed because the majority of the members who work on the fund-raiser cannot afford to join other clubs in the area. The majority of the other charitable events would also go by the wayside because of the economic factor.

Why turn a piece of land that is already preserved in a pristine manner, and is contributing to the community in many ways, into a battlefield? Why not keep the golf course and use it to honor the heroes who died down the road on the Franklin Battlefield? The preservationists can better spend their money on property that was actually part of the battlefield.

As a historian, you have to be aware that we live in a democracy. I assure you that the majority of the voters and taxpayers do no share your opinion on preserving this piece of land that is allegedly the eastern flank of the Battle of Franklin. It is disturbing that you and others who support the preservation of this land have lost sight of the fact that even though you feel passionately about a subject or have strong opinions about an issue, it is not the predominant view in the community.

Petitions are circulating, and being signed by many citizens who are not club members, that will be presented to the Board of Mayor and Aldermen expressing the voters’ opinion that they do not want tax money being spent on this project. This is not an attempt to “rewrite history, bully officials and use whatever means possible to preserve for themselves what they freely sold,” as you state in your letter. This is voters using their God-given freedom to express their opinion to the people they elected. In my opinion, this is guaranteed by “our higher angels of history” you refer to in your letter.

We do not care if private interests put up their money to purchase this land. Rod Heller is looking for the people who support preservation to come up with the $5 million he put up to stop this land from being developed. We do not want taxpayers’ money used for this purpose and will continue to use our freedom to express our opinions. Millions of Americans died to protect our freedom. It is a real shame that a man with your credentials forgets we have a democratic process in the United States of America. It is not bullying officials.
        Bob Buelterman
        157 Polk Place
        Franklin 37064
        Matthew Rector

Comment

Working...
        X