Citing Newspaper Articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citing Newspaper Articles

This is just a thought I had recently. While reviewing some articles that have been posted in this folder, I noticed that some important information is sometimes left out of the post. Since these articles could very well be used for future resource tools for research papers and the sort-should we not try and provide as much information about the source of the article as possible?

Just off the top of my head, I would think it would be beneficial to provide at least the standard bibliographic information about the article:

Author, Name of Article, date of article, and publication it appeared in. Also, if it came from the internet, provide a link and the date it was accessed. Although this link will probably be of no use somewhere down the line, at least it is cited.

All this will come in real handy if one is writing a research paper is creating their bibliography or footnotes! IMO, I just think providing this information would be the right and helpful thing to do.
    Matthew Rector

Re: Citing Newspaper Articles

Just to Piggy Back on Matts post, and bump this up as I am ashamed that it has only 50 something views. It is really fundimentally important to cite, with as much detail as possible, anything posted here from another source.
    We have been getting pretty good about that as far as historical accounts go, but when alot of us post newspaper articles and etc. we are less attentive to the details.

Beyond the obvious reason to cite all information (plagerism) there are a couple of other benefits as well. With all the correct information about an article the post then becoes a research tool for those writing papers etc. that may be used for publication, university studies, etc. An article that has no information as to when and where it was published becomes a non-usable source very quickly. In addition to that, one of the goals of the AC is to become a respected source for professional historians and researchers, as well as to attempt to change the pre-concieved notion that most professionals have of the hobby as a whole. This is slowly working as we have quite a few professionals and members of achademia here on the forums, but if we do not follow the basic rules of scholarly study, how can we expect to either earn a reputation, or prove to be a benefit in the arena of research?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
    X