Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Museum of the Confederacy could use our help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Museum of the Confederacy could use our help.

While not making the national news, as the flooding in Shockoe Bottom did in Richmond, Hurricane Charley did quite a bit of damage to the Museum of the Confederacy. Sections of the ceiling plaster gave way in the main gallery and the lowest level (restricted access and referred to as "the vault") was flooded.

Museum workers were not able to enter the building until late Thursday and reported that no artifacts were damaged, much work will need to be done to repair this completely privately funded institution.

I am sure any donation would be gratefully accepted.
    Ley Watson
    POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Re: The Museum of the Confederacy could use our help.

Chums,

I'm all for donating to historic institutions...but what about insurance? As far as I'm aware, in events like this insurance ought to cover such disasters, or did the MOC not have a flood insurance plan? :sarcastic I'd like to know before I consider giving them money.

Any thoughts?

-Nicholas Redding
    Respectfully,

Nicholas Redding

[url]http://preservationbivouac.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

I my previous life I was a commercial insurance broker and museums were a specialty. As long as the water damage came from above OR from a sewer backup and not "surface " water (ie: flood) then there is insurance coverage under most good museum package policies. There would be coverage under almost any policy if the damage from water damage was due to the action of the wind ( blowing water or a roof/wall damaged by wind and then leaked).

I am sure that a museum of the MOC's quality has a comprehensive museum policy that will cover most if not all of the damage. Still, they may need help paying the deductable which can range from under $1000 to $oh my!. Keep us posted.
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]George Wunderlich
      Executive Director
      National Museum of Civil War Medicine and
      The Letterman Institute [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jigadier brindle
        Chums,

I'm all for donating to historic institutions...but what about insurance? As far as I'm aware, in events like this insurance ought to cover such disasters, or did the MOC not have a flood insurance plan? :sarcastic I'd like to know before I consider giving them money.

Any thoughts?

-Nicholas Redding
        Insurance or not, this is our main purpose for existing as "Living Historians", is it not?

We all know how hard insurance companies work to pay the "minimum" amount they possibly can, or think they can get away with. Unseen expenses will creep in, sure to leave the MOC asking for help.

I'm sending a little something as a kind gesture.
        [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
        [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
        [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
        [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Working...
        X