Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone attending the conference in April?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone attending the conference in April?

Is anyone reading this going to attend the 7th National Conference on Battlefield Preservation this coming April in Nashville? Just curious.
    Matthew Rector

Re: Anyone attending the conference in April?

Matt - what days in April?
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Re: April 19-25

The full length of the conference is April 19-25.

"The week-long conference will combine meetings, workshops, presentations, and tours of four battlefield preservation groups: the ABPP, the Civil War Preservation Trust (CWPT), the International Battlefield Terrain Conservation Group, and the International Battlefield Archeology Conference. This combination could result in one of the most dynamic and diverse meetings on battlefield preservation ever presented in the United States." ABPP

Check out the Civil War Preservation Trust's site for more detailed information about their participation in the conference (which will be April 22-25).

Sorry, the page you were looking for doesn’t exist. Have you tried our keyword search? Go to the homepage or email us at web@battlefields.org if we...
      Matthew Rector

Comment

Tell ya what, if we are serious about preservation, and want to show the various orgs that we are to be taken seriously, we need to show up to this one. We need to be there in coat and tie or whatever the standard dress code is.

We ought to be able to get on the agenda for a presentation or two that would be entitled something like "Living Historians - Grass Roots Support for Battlefield Preservation" or something like that. We need to emphasize that the authentic end of the hobby is an important force multiplier for preservation that CWPT, et al must use to be most effective.

I get a feeling that the vast majority of "reenactors" are looked upon as a mixed blessing by most organizations, esp at the national and state levels.

Any idea whether folks like Brian Pohanka and others will attend?
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

Comment

Doug,

The ad in Hallowed Ground, the magazine for CWPT members, has a tentative schedule. The things runs Wednesday April 21 to Sunday April 25. One week before the VERY BUSY April 30 - May 2 weekend on our schedule already. Scheduled speakers/scholars are Edwin Bearss, Thomas Cartwright, Benjamin Franklin Cooling, Jim Jobe, Richard McMurry, James Ogden III, Richard Sommers, Wiley Sword, and Brian Steel Wills. Tours will be of the Nashville battlefields.

Now the bad news, registration is $495! This DOESN'T include hotel which is advertised at $119/night. Plus the airfare for far away folks like you.

While I agree it would be great to attend, I think that it is cost prohibitive for most right now. I would love to see the advertised book store also.

I think that the role of re-enactor in preservation right now is restricted to donor and dessiminators of preservation information. By allowing us to have this forum on the A/C site, Paul is providing a GREAT service in allowing us to get the word out to interested parties.

I think that the CWPT is starting to see the potential for fundraising within the re-enactor ranks with efforts like the A2003 event and the past and upcoming rail drives in Kentucky and Georgia.

I really like your idea of the "Haversack for Preservation" and hope to take part in 2005.

As we discuss things here on the forum, we will get new ideas to build on. I would love to have the c/p/h and mainstreamers get together for ONE preservation cause a year to see how much we could raise. Big money would get the attention of the preservation organizations.
          Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Wow - that is big bucks. Perhaps we can find out who is going and provide some points of includion in the program. Glad you and Matt and others are hooked in. Agree with everything in your post above Dusty. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help from out here.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

Comment

There are in fact two conferences occurring during that same week in Nashville -- the American Battlefield Protection Program's (ABBP) 7th National Conference on Battlefield Preservation and the Civil War Preservation Trust's (CWPT) 2004 Annual Conference . The two conferences are, I believe, separate but are coordinating with each other. I don't believe the cost to attend the ABPP's program is as steep as the CWPT's. The ABPP has not posted any specifics about their schedule or registration fees, but it has posted a contact e-mail for registration information:

kristen_stevens@nps.gov

For some info on the ABPP conference, check the link posted by Matt above.

I may be attending the ABPP program, as a representative of my employer if they can find the money to send me, to co-present a paper.

Eric
              Eric J. Mink
              Co. A, 4th Va Inf
              Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

As far as getting on the program.... Move quickly; it may already be too late. The call for papers went out in August, and the deadline for topic submission (abstracts only) was December 12.
                Daniel Fodera
                Palmetto Living History Assoc

Comment

I am unsure right now if I'll be able to attend the full conference. Right now I'd say I have 50/50 chance of being able to attend all or some. Of course it is my hope that I will be able to attend the whole conference as it sounds like a worthwhile experience. I haven't been able to find a registration deadline-although there is a cutoff date for getting refunds back-March 1.
                  I am hoping I have some time to find out if I can swing this or not.
                  Matthew Rector

Comment

Working...
                  X