Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rally boys, Rally! Save Silent Sam at UNC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rally boys, Rally! Save Silent Sam at UNC.

Rally, boys! Rally!

Rally to save Silent Sam, the statute depicting a young soldier who left the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to fight for the Confederacy. A few miscreants want Sam removed from the campus. Click on the link for more info on what you can do to save Silent Sam. http://www.savesilentsam.com/

Silent Sam was given his name as it's been observed that he isn't wearing a cartridge box and so has nothing to shoot. Heck, doesn't everyone know that spare cartridges were carried in pockets or haversacks?

GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
    High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Re: Rally boys, Rally! Save Silent Sam at UNC.

I graduated from UNC last spring. This is old news (1993) and Sam isn't going anywhere, at least for a couple of generations. The few that want the statue removed do not politically outweigh the Board of Visitors (State Relations Committee) with whom the decision would ultimately rest.

Besides, his chemical state might doom him long before the controversy.
    Last edited by John-Owen Kline; 10-03-2006, 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    John-Owen Kline

Comment

I am hoping to transfer to UNC in a couple years, and I want to see that statue there if I get accepted.
      - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
      1st California Co. F
      Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
      -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

Even though the statue appears to be safe, I went ahead and passed on the information through my SCV camp and to the Tennessee Division.
        Eric N. Harley-Brown
        Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary of CA
          Rally, boys! Rally!

Rally to save Silent Sam, the statute depicting a young soldier who left the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to fight for the Confederacy. A few miscreants want Sam removed from the campus. Click on the link for more info on what you can do to save Silent Sam. http://www.savesilentsam.com/

Silent Sam was given his name as it's been observed that he isn't wearing a cartridge box and so has nothing to shoot. Heck, doesn't everyone know that spare cartridges were carried in pockets or haversacks?

Dear Sir ,
          In my opinion , "Silent Sam " , would be better served if the web site did not border on what could be perceived as a "racist " or neo-Confederate ( modern politics ) agenda. Like the Battleflag , historical Confederate icons must be separated from any non-historical associations otherwise they will always be subject to attack .
          all for the old flag ,
          David Corbett
          Dave Corbett

Comment

Working...
          X