Westport, MO: Byram's Ford Situation PART 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westport, MO: Byram's Ford Situation PART 1

Many of you westerners like me might very well be familiar with the Battle of Westport, the largest fight in terms of manpower west of the Mississippi River. It's been unsung for a very long time unless you're a Kansas City/Westport resident, but I feel it needs to begin to recieve a little more attention both education and preservation-wise. It is my hope to develop a comprehensive website with information on the battle itself as well as the status/condition of the grounds which I can identify that are directly related to the battle itself.

In order to drum up some interest in others, and possibly recruiting some help if any is interested (and is available in the remote area), I wanted to share the following with you, which I feel is a fairly sad story.

The following images are of Byram's Ford on the eastern edge of what was the Westport battlefield, where Sterling Price's Missouri State Guard crossed late in 1864 to begin the Battle of Westport, and where eventually, pursuing Federals from Independence would cross to engage Marmaduke's pro-Southern forces. The pictures I've taken are from what would have been the perspective of Winslow's Brigade during most of the Battle at Byram's Ford (or the Battle of the Little Blue).

The following is a photograph of the only remaining plaque on the battlefield (which is now an industrial complex). The only other hint of the battlefield's existence is a moss-covered rock wall/monument which was dedicated in the 70's by the Kansas City Civil War Round Table.

The map shows correctly the position of Winslow's Brigade on the field, as well as the State Guard defending the field from behind the rock wall (which still stands in tact in the original position).

According to the numerous reports I've read, the Federals crossed directly at the ford, which was covered in ice during the battle due to an extremely cold 1864 fall in northwestern Missouri. The Federals came under heavy Parrot fire from the Rebel batteries and Winslow's Brigade was cut to pieces in the ford and directly on the other side. Some of the most terrible/grim reports I've ever read from the war came from the crossing of this small river on that day, and now the following is all that is left of the crossing:

The water is considerably down this month from what it must have been like in 1864, though what upsets me is the incredible amount of garbage around the general area. There is not a single marker describing what happened at this point, and in fact there is only one overgrown trail which is at the back of a large industrial building, marked off by chains. Nowhere is there a mention of Winslow's crossing, nor of the dozens of brave Federal soldiers that fell on the point. It appears that no attempt to preserve the land has even been taken since the early 70's when an organized relic hunt had been organized by the state government.

The next photograph is that of what Winslow's Brigade would have seen (minus the industrial buildings and modern additions) after crossing the ford and climbing the muddy banks to reach the edge of the woods and the field in front of them which they had to cross to reach the rock wall which Marmaduke's State Guards were hidden in, already beginning to destroy the Federal ranks.

As you can see, the industrial complexes take away from the viewable terrain greatly, and the only remaining "authentic" view is in the alleyway between the two buildings. BTW, I think it should be mentioned that both of the buildings in this photograph are currently for sale and have been for years, although there is large amounts of garbage piled behind both of them.

After passing the industrial complexes, one can see the Pepsi Co. plant that now sits on top of where most of Marmaduke's State Guardsmen were positioned, though the rock wall which the men used for cover still stands. This next photograph shows the only remaining portion of the battlefield that still exists as it did in 1864 (minus the railroad tracks). This shot shows the rock wall (hidden in the trees) as well as the last leg of the field that Winslow's brigade had to cross, where many many Federal dead must have been strewn shortly after the fight was over and the Confederates fell back towards what is now Loose Park in Westport and the brunt of the rest of the battle.

It is my hope to write multiple parts to my report on Byram's Ford and the status of the rest of the Westport battlefield, as its importance to both local and national history is great I think, and its truly a shame to let the history of that battle that occured here go unmentioned. As I stated previously, if anyone is interested in possibly helping me gathering information/photographs, etc. or possibly brainstorming possible preservation efforts for the area, let me know, as I'd be incredibly interested in operating with some of the like-minded individuals around here (Kansas City area).

As for this thread, I'd like to ask for your suggestions on possible preservation efforts which I might be able to accomplish with help in order to preserve what I can of this battlefield, and attempt to restore some of it to its original state.

Thank you for your time.
    [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
    [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
    [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
    [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Some suggestions

Eric,

Thanks for posting this information. In response to your questions at the end, I would first contact the CWPT and alert them to the situation. They might already be aware of and working on this situation. If not, they will appreciate you giving them a heads up.

I would also check with your state preservation office or look for any local historical societies or Civil War roundtable groups who might have similar concerns.

If the buildings are for sale as you say, one of these groups may be in a position to purchase them.

Please post updates and thanks for picking up the flag on this one.
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Re: Westport, MO: Byram's Ford Situation PART 1

Eric, your pictures and narrative are making me homesick. Thanks.

I don't know much I can do to help out here in Arizona, but if you discover or create a fund for some preservation work, send me an email.

(Formerly of Ruskin Heights, Parkville and Gladstone)

Comment

Eric
        Good job on a great thread!! I believe you are on the right track already.
        I may have overlooked it, but did you mention the current landowner(s) of this site? Is it all Pepsi Co.? I'm curious to what their development or non-development plans are.

I looked for a listing for a Battle of Westport on the National Register of Historic Places and could not find one. To your knowledge has it been evaluated for the register? With the landowner's permission, a nomination to the register could bring it some much needed attention (no guaranteed protection though). Perhaps you might look into preparing a nomination for this site if there isn't one already. Talk with your SHPO or SHPO rep about this.

If you have not taken this step yet, you might also contact The Missouri Alliance for Historic Preservation.
        Preserving Place and Community for Future Generations

I'm sure they might have some helpful ideas as well.
        Matthew Rector

Comment

1. Monet has spent an unbelievable amount of time energy and money on all of the battlefields in the Wesport area. Is he still alive and have you contacted him? He's the guy responsible for the plaques, memorials, walk brochures, etc.

2. The reason the ford itself isn't 'well marked' is that it FLOODS every couple of years....and MOVES every couple of decades. You have a picture of the brass map that would be the envy of MOST American Civil War battlefields. Yet you talk down on the place as if it's unnoticed and unmarked. There's a picture of the cabin where the CSA sharpshooters were posted and impeded Sanborn's advance. Placards are abundant, accurate, and a tribute to Monette's efforts. Trash? Look to the neighborhood, east side of KC, Troost, et al has been in the toilet for years. We used to play Soccer at Swope Park in the early 1980's (heck, the KC Chiefs used to have a practice field there). We stopped playing there (Heart of American Soccer Association) when the drug dealers started brandishing revolvers. During 1980-1983 I regularly came by the ford with a Glad Bag and loaded it up. Trash cans are on the East side of the chemical building, near the big plaque of the battle. Ditto for the Ravine/Gulch were the 4th Iowa charged up the bluff. This is remarkably preserved by the way, easy to believe you are one of the attackers when camblering through it and up the hill.

3. You fail to mention that the CSA dismounted cavalry fought across the Little Blue at Byram's the day before....one of the few times that ACW units fought over the same terrain in the SAME direction.

4. There are a ton of buildings on the land, not just Pepsi, how many MILLION dollars did you want to spend? The quarry across the river on the east bank destroyed the bluff line where the 3" Rodman guns were located. The position where PHILLIPS was promoted on the spot to command of the Brigade because he was switching from riding boots to slippers in order to assault the western CSA position has also been obliterated.

5. Where is your documentation on 'dozens' of Winslow's troopers being hit crossing the ford? The writings don't note a lot of intense fighting at the ford proper....rather at the ledge (near todays railroad tracks)...and trying to take the bluff line. Even the mounted charge (there may have been two) resulted in a 'few' casualties......but these troopers had learned how to fight by October 1864. I would be surprised if you could document more than 200 casualties for the Federals ..... pretty low considering a river crossing, rock ledges and high ground defensive positions, and open prairie to cross.

6. There was a thin layer of ice over parts of Brush Creek on that cold October morning...I have read no such layer over the Little Blue River. With it's faster rate of travel and larger volume of water this would be pretty tough. At any rate the first couple of horses and skirmishers across would have broken up what little sheets of ice were present, quickly. The writings talk of crossing the Little Blue River in icy cold water, not ice.

7. What about the other battle fields? Big Blue River, battle of Independence, the Northern ford over the Little Blue (it's near where I-70 crosses), Mockabee Farm (Tower Park, holmes and about 83rd), the million dollar homes and macadamized road up Swan Creek to the back side of Loose Park (we used to have some unbelievable parties in this area), Hinkle's Grove (great parking spot for after soccer drinking at Charlie Hooper's at 63rd and Brookside). The spot where the unarmed CSA volunteers shepherded the cattle and horses towards Fort Scott and skirmished with a couple regiments of US Cavalry SE of Kansas City is covered by a HUGE office complex. Brush Creek itself, the Country Club Plaza complex, the Ritz Carleton (the old Alameda Plaza), Raphaels', the Biarritz, the Savoy, the Walnut complex, another dozen high rises etc. kill off all of the assault approaches. Many is the time that I've spent researching the Westport battles at either the UMKC library or the KC Library across from the KC Board of Trade building....both located right on the battlefield. You didn't want to try to reclaim Old Joe Shelby's last stand line (the stone fence on the south side of the cemetery)? Take out the pond in Loose Park (great spot for Frisbee!),the parking lot where McGhee's cavalry made their mounted last forlorn hope charge?

8. Agree that the battle sites for West Port are relatively unknown and weren't protected long ago (with the exception of the Golf Course/Country Club that became Loose Park due to the efforts of the Sunshine Cookie people. I do disagree on the need to spend millions to try to reclaim buildings, residences, parking lots, etc. The Ward house, Wornall house look great. Jackman's positions near Sunny Hill School for Girls (now part of PemDay) well marked. And Monsiuer Monette was tireless in his efforts.

9. Have you joined the Civil War Round Table of Kansas City? Herman Hattaway used to lecture once a year..... Monette had tours every year on the battle days..... I think there are Living History events at the Mehaffie Stage Stop (Jess and Jims has great steak), Tower Park, etc.

10. Stroud's (We choke our own) Chicken for everybody!

11. Take a good luck at the map of Missouri. Kansas City is on the Right side of the state, St. Louis is the wrong side (even the call in Game 6 of the 1985 series was wrong).

12. Did you know that George Brett used to live on the Battle Field?

13. I'm all for a Maraid des Cygnes reenactment....anytime mounted cavalry in column of regiments breaks a battle line of infantry/dismounted cavalry I'm all ears.

14. Makes no difference, where I go....your the best home town I know. Hello Kansas City, hello KCeeee, T V 5 loves you!

15 Do you remember where you were when the skywalks collapsed? Did you know any one that died in the tragedy?

RJ Samp
          RJ Samp
          (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
          Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Wow Eric
            Wonderfull Thread!
            Looks like Big Bad Pepsi has once again, messed up!!!

As all the others have said get in contact with your local Civil War groups because their is strength in numbers and if you get in contact with State of Missouri they would probably be able to help a lot.

I would someday like to see it as an NPS site, as Eric Burke...The modern hero of Westport.

Good Job Eric,
            Keep up the good work

Andrew Stebbins

Comment

RJSamp: It was my intention to notify others of the status of the battlefield. I had no urge or need to offend/anger you, as it appears I have done. Despite the presence of plaques and signs which you claim to be historically accurate, I feel the battlefield is not maintained to a proper level, and therefore I feel something needs to be done.

You might see something different, but when I visit Byram's Ford, I see a battlefield about to fall entirely to modern industrialization, and a place holding on with its last threads to its historical significance. Pepsi Co. doesn't care that there was a battle fought on the land it produces its substances on, and they never will. Soon enough, that battle and those "plaques" you speak so highly of will be long gone, and in a couple decades it might prove difficult for individuals to even find where the crossing of Byram's Ford ever happened (even generally). You might be interested to know that although these "plaques" are hidden in the nooks and crannies of the industrial park, one must struggle to find any sign listing any information about the exit to even reach the industrial park, let alone the battlefield.

No sir, I don't feel the area has been properly preserved, and unless someone steps up to maintain it, I don't think it ever will be.

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

Comment

Excellent thread, Eric!

I was just visiting the battlefield the yesterday night -- when I went down to the Plaza and ate at McCormick & Schmick's. Non-native Kansas Citians would never believe that there was a battle that occured on what is now called the Plaza. The Plaza (for those that don't reside in KC) is a huge piece of concrete and buildings. It is KC's premier shopping district, with it's upscale restaurants and stores.

What was a battlefield, has now partially turned into:

Eric -

Have you ever checked out any of the county history books at your local library? Up here North of the River, (Parkville area) Mid-Continent has a whole series of really fat books detailing the history of most of the counties of Missouri up until the 1880's. I've found that the Civil War part of the book goes into great depth, documenting everything from the fact that Col. Camden's company was organized on Jun 15th, 1861, just south of Platte City to the fact that Widow Constance was robbed by two drunk Federals on the morning of December 22nd, 1864. I know the Civil War section of the Platte County book like the back of my hand. I suggest you try and find one of those record books dealing with Jackson County. This could help you determine what information you might need in order to begin a clean up effort or an event to try and raise money to help put up more markers or a monument of some sort.

Another idea (though a bit extreme) is to raise enough money to purchase the two buildings you spoke of in your opening post. With that we could demolish the two buildings and the foundations to return just a small bit to it's original state.

Is the open land in the pictures for sale? Buying that could be a start, therefore prohibiting any big conglomerates from developing the land.

Another piece of bad news: I recently read a few articles in the Star about how the State wants to put in this highway on the battlefield. The highway would run over one of the few spots that has been unaffected by development. This was a few months ago, and I'm not sure, but they may have already gone through with the beginning of the development.

The Western Missouri Round Table, I know does some work for raising money to procure battle land. If I am not mistaken, they put on a reenactment at Lone Jack with purpose of purchasing land. Perhaps a small reenactment on whats left of the undeveloped land or living history weekend could be done in order to raise some cash?

In May there is supposed to be an event at Fort Bellafontaine (sp?) in St. Louis that is re-creating the battle of Westport. It's unfortunate that I won't be able to attend that one.

Your thoughts?

Comment

I did some research and I've been able to enlist the help of a satelite.

The following image is what a portion of the battlefield looks like. Please note that this is not the entire battlefield, only a small portion.

EDIT: Hmmm, the image won't show up. To see the image, click here.

Comment

Guys, I don't mean to piss in your cereal but, as RJ stated, Westport is pretty much a lost cause. Aside from Byram's Ford and a few other places, the battlefield is overrun. It covered quite a bit of distance through a somewhat large city. There is simply no way to return it to something it once was. Heck, Shelby's final defensive line is now the stone fence bordering the cemetary he is buried in. RJ, what part of KC did you live in? I live in Lee's Summit, about fifteen minutes on the southeast side.

Steve
                    Doesn't Go To Loose Park After Dark Mess
                    Steve Shepherd
                    Veritas numquam perit

Comment

I'm not convinced its a total lost cause yet, Steve. I think we could at least raise a monument or two to supplement the great things Monet did. BTW, I'm North Kansas City as well, near Gladstone.

Eric Burke
                      Doesn't Go to Loose Park Even if its Light Mess

Comment

I think that a nice monument would be very fitting. It could act as a reminder of what the estimated 3,000 fought and died or was wounded for.

The idea for a little re-enactment -- well, scratch that. I don't think a tent flap will keep druggies wielding semi-automatics from entering a reenactors living space. But maybe the thought of a 100 or so armed men may keep them from trying it. :P

Seriously, What is something we could do to raise money to place a monument on what's left of the battlefield?

Jack Peasley
                        Doesn't Go South Of The River At All Mess

Comment

I've talked to alot of people, including my ex-Mainstream Unit commander John Martin, who's involved heavily with my SUV camp, and also participated in the archealogical dig a few years back on the Byram's Ford site to try and find the original gravel road that ran up from the ford. Apparently nothing was conclusive and they had to give up due to the flood. It is a high flood zone, which might make it a bad place for a monument, but nevertheless the area to the E of the RR tracks might be a nice location.

As to raising money ... I have no idea. I'm pretty confident that the mainstream event this summer will completely butcher the battle, perhaps some kind of preservation march, etc. in Westport?

Comment

Eric,

I applaud your youthful exuberance - but I have to agree with RJ on this one. probably the best things you could do to help preserve the Westport battlefield (or what little bit is left of it) and to increase its visibility to the general public is to join the Westport Historical Society( and become involved with the Monett Battle of Westport Fund), either one of the CW Round Tables in the KC metro, and become involved as a volunteer at one of the local historic sites (there are SEVERAL that interpret the CW time period) to talk directly to the public that is interested in the CW.

The geography, demographics and public perception of that area are all working against it becoming a destination for any but the most dedicated CW tourist. Kansas City has hard enough time attracting suburbanites to the 18th & Vine Jazz District because it is in the "inner city" - the suburbanite isn't any more likely to visit an industrial area on the "east side".

If you want someone to bounce ideas off of, shoot me an email.

Phil Campbell
                            Phil Campbell

Comment

Working...
                            X