No announcement yet.

GM to develop the Rippavilla property.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM to develop the Rippavilla property.

It appears GM is cashing in on the Rippavilla property. This is the property that all the past reenactments have been held on. The article below appeared in Columbia's The Daily Herald this morning. It can be accessed later today at www.c-dh.net.

Sincerely,

Henry Demuth

Acreage near Rippavilla to be developed
    Hundreds of acres
    to be annexed,
    rezoned and sold

By D. FRANK SMITH
    and SKYLER SWISHER

Staff Writers

SPRING HILL — General Motors will soon put more than 400 acres of prime real estate surrounding Rippavilla Plantation on the market for development, and the city will attempt to annex the land, Mayor Danny Leverette said Wednesday.

"It's no secret GM has been exploring their avenues in developing the land," Leverette said. "Right now it's in our urban growth boundary, so when an opportunity presents itself for annexation, we would certainly love to see that in our city limits."

Calls to GM officials seeking comment on Leverette's statements were not returned Wednesday.

GM owns the land, but because of a tax-break agreement, the land is in the name of the Maury County Industrial Development Board. GM's Spring Hill Manufacturing Facility sits across the street from the Rippavilla property.

GM told city officials this week they would be in the process of reclaiming the property from the industrial board and will pursue an "aggressive" time frame in sending out requests for pro-
    posals to potential developers — possibly within 45-90 days, Leverette said.

However, Maury Alliance President Frank Tamberrino said GM would likely have to jump several hurdles to sell the land. The property would have to be annexed by a municipality, rezoned and a plan of services drafted.

In addition to those hurdles, future developments could face scrutiny from residents con-
    cerned about maintaining the integrity of the historic area.

Chuck Byrn, who's employed at Rippavilla as a tour guide, said developing the historic property, which, played a key role during the Civil War would be "an absolute slap in the face to those
    who fought and died there."

"Once paradise is paved, there's no turning back," he said. "When you tear down a part of somebody's culture, it's gone — that's it."

|But County Historian Bob Duncan said he wouldn't be opposed to the property being developed as long as it was done tastefully.

"We have to understand that area is going to develop," he said. "I think, at this point, I woulid hope it would be developed with an eye toward keeping the historical integrity of
    the area."

The city's Planning Commission would be in charge of regulating the look of develop-ment in the area. An Historic Commission would have had control over some aspect of the development, but the creation of the commission was denied at Tuesday's Board of Mayor and Aldermen meeting.

Leverette said the city and GM would work together to ensure the development would
    integrate well with the historic area.

"GM is very, very particular about what type of developments that would go in and
    around that property, to make sure ,that it would not only complement the area but the
    (GM Spring Hill Manufacturing facility) across the street and Maury County and our
    design standards," he said.

While officials were unable to provide an estimate of the land's value, the property would
    likely carry a huge price tag. Kroger recently purchased a 3.5-acre parcel near Port Royal
    Road for $1.6 million, according to county records.

City Administrator Ken York said he did not know whether the development would be
    commercial or residential, but he said GM was sending out proposals to many different
    types of companies.

"They said they had a pretty long list of developers that were interested in the prop-
    erty, and that they would pick the developer with the most compatibility," he said.;

Some of those developers will be visiting the city soon to look into their potential future
    home, he said.

Leverette said the development would be beneficial to all parties involved, and he's
    excited about the possibility of developing the property.

"It would be good not only for the city of Spring Hill, but Maury County in general
    because you're getting ... land that now comes onto the tax rolls," he said.

D. Frank Smith may be contacted
    at dfsmith@c-dh.net or (931) 388-
    6464 ext. 3021. Skyler Swisher may
    be contacted at sswisher@c-dh.net
    or (931) 388-6464 ext. 3023.

Re: GM to develop the Rippavilla property.

And while only a few miles up the the Homestead Manor in Thompson Station is preserved. This crap happens at Rippavilla In Spring Hill. :cry_smile
    [B]Steven Cone
    "The Dippin' Gourd Mess"
    <A HREF="http://www.americancivilwar.50megs.com/SilverSpringMess.html"><I>"Silver Spring Mess"</i></A> <br>Stones River Nat'l Battlefield Volunteer
    Living Historian and Battlefield Preservationist
    [COLOR="Blue"]ACPP ; CWPT ; BONPS ; STFB [/COLOR][/B]

[I][B]January 18-20, 2008 "The Calm Before The Storm" <br>April 19, 2008 "Fort Granger" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN"<br>June 20-22, 2008 "The Eastern Flank" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN[/I][/B]

Comment

Better come to Outpost III, this may be the last chance to enjoy the property.

Really funny how people think they can preserve the historic integrity of the area by building a Wal Mart on historic land. Really damn stupid and another reason why I believe developers in Middle Tennessee have their heads planted WAY up their backsides.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

That is just horrible! Rippavilla has such beautiful property! I gave a speech today in my communications course at MTSU on historical preservation and used Franklin/Spring Hill area as an example. It’s such a shame how little the citizens in the area (especially those in my generation)know about their town's history. I felt like a history teacher this morning when explaining the battle of Franklin and what is left of it today. But I did bring in some interest and raised a few eye brows on the situation. I actually got a lot of positive feed back. The majority of my class that was from Franklin and Spring Hill, had no clue that there had ever been a Civil War battle that had taken place there or new very little about it.
        Elizabeth Landrum
        IR Team Mom

Comment

I would like to know how County Historian Bob Duncan thinks you can destory history and do it tastefully. I think that it could improve GM's image if they would instead of offering up this land to the bulldozer and then the revolving door of business and make it something that not only would be pleasing to the perservationest but to outdoor enthusiest as well. I thought that the Franklin area had turned around so to speak with the purchase of the golf course and the Pizza Hut across from the Carter House, but now they are back to same old routine. Can't these people on the commision or alderman be replaced in elections or do the need of the developer out weigh the needs of the perservationest/historian and that secures there place in politics.

Chris Lane
          37th TN
          Chris Lane
          37th Tennessee
          [URL="http://www.6thcavalrymuseum.com"]6th Cavalry Museum[/URL]

"It'a a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."
          Ulysses Everett McGill

Comment

Is there an effort to try to preserve this land or at least preserve the integrity of the Rippavilla Plantation in which we as a community can support?

I've only been that part of the state twice so please forgive my ignorance.
            Bill Backus

Comment

The only way Franklin could turn around is if someone invented a time machine.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

When real estate agents and developers are the ones sitting in the Mayor's office, on the board of alderman, in the zoning committee and on the planning commission, this is what you get.

Oddly, the developer elected mayor to Thompson's Station and the developer that owns the Homestead Manor in Thompson's Station are the only ones appearing to act in the interest of the community and not their own pockets.

And, a bit of recent history here, but when we put on the events at Spring Hill in the 1990's we received tremendous support from a developer who let us use his private residence and property and heavy equipment (bulldozers!) free of charge. He had bought Oaklawn and the surrounding 500 acres to build cheap starter homes. When he learned from locals about the history of his new home and land, he did a 180 and, last I heard, was making sure the house was preserved by deeding to a preservation group. (I don't know how that turned out.) That was 12 years ago or so.

Sad news, indeed.
                Joe Smotherman

Comment

Sad yes, but I'm a bit confused as to why it seems to be a surprise.

When we were doing the planning leading up to NSA's Battle of Franklin, I remember hearing early on that it would be our last chance at a 'big one' on this piece of property. At the time, I understood that development would start by the next spring.

When the cannon fire rolled and all the critters started fleeing through the woods and past that little cabin known as Brown's Stand, I wondered what would become of them.

By the time such announcements are made, the deal is usually already done. Look quickly to those places where the dead still sleep, where the press of roads and houses are not so close---and help preserve it now, for such actions take time and money---and can be easier accomplished when the monetary loss does not seem so dear.
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                  Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

If the developers in Middle Tn had their way they would pave right over the resting places of the dead.
                    Patrick Landrum
                    Independent Rifles

Comment

Certainly, this event is of no surprise. It is only indictitive of the age we live in. We all know that our current society’s god is the almighty dollar. We live in the age of the developer and the cheap politician. The mansion and 75 acres will overlook a sea of houses and retail developments. The highest use for the property is development but in the long run the best use is not development. In an area of urban sprawl this green space could be developed into a tourism plus for the city and county. Sadly, this property will be loaded with the same urban blight that the entire Franklin-Columbia corridor has become. Us long time Maury Countians have a fond saying that the 3 worst things that have come to Maury County are thistles, yankees during the War, and GM---not necessarily in that order.

Henry Demuth

Comment

I thought some of y’all might be interested in the following article in the Columbia Daily Herald. I think it speaks volumes for the current situation in Middle Tennessee be it Spring Hill or Murfreesboro. Between our homegrown politicians and the developers the soul of the area’s culture is being sold to the highest bidder.

Henry Demuth

Mayor praises land deal
                        Sale would net funds for county

By SKYLER SWISHER

Staff Writer

A decision by General Motors to develop property surrounding the historic Rippavilla Plantation would be good for Maury County and would increase tax revenue, Maury County Mayor Jim Bailey said Thursday.

Company officials have yet to confirm whether they plan to sell the land, but three high-ranking local officials said this Week development is imminent.

"You've got to look at the big picture," Bailey said. "I believe in taking care of the antebellum homes. I support that completely. On the other side of the equation... you can't have everything. They can't have the whole 500 acres."

Under an agreement between GM and Maury County, 75 acres will be set aside to establish a buffer zone between the mansion and surrounding development, Bailey said.

Development is imminent for about 425 remaining acres of the Rippavilla property, and GM might also sell company land across the street for development, he said.

"They are actually surveying up there now," Bailey said. "It's my understanding they are doing this not only here but at plants across the country for what they have deemed surplus property."

Kate Neary, a spokeswoman for the Spring Hill General Motors Manufacturing Facility, said she could neither confirm nor deny Thursday evening whether GM has plans to sell excess property surrounding the plant.

Because of a county property-tax break given to GM, land surrounding Rippavilla is not generating any revenue for the county.

Any new developments— whether commercial, residential or industrial — would bring increased funds for the county. Bailey said.

The property was divided in an agreement reached this past year between GM and Maury County. The county received about 75 acres, and then donated it to Rippavilla Inc., a nonprofit organization, to oversee the mansion.

Maury County Commissioner Glen Hasse, who joined the Rippavilla Board this year, said the nonprofit needs to generate more revenue to support the property's maintenance.

Rippavilla Inc. generated about $245,730 in revenue and $243,671 in expenses, according to tax documents.

Government contributions accounted for $64,500 of the nonprofit's revenue — most of which was donated by Maury County. The corn maze attraction held annually and tours generate most of the additional revenue, earning $77,039 and $34,214 respectively.

"They need to make it a priority to get their finances so they've got some breathing room there," Hasse said.

Once the Rippavilla contract takes effect, the nonprofit will receive $100,000 a year from GM for the next 10 years to maintain the property.

"If they can't make it with that, nobody will," Bailey said.

•••
                        Skyler Swisher may be contacted
                        at sswisher@c-dh.net or (931)
                        388-6464 ext. 3023.

Comment

I sent this email to the author of the articles and doubt I'll get a response. Just thought some of the membership might be interested.

All I can say is what I said before- Come to Outpost because this is it folks.

"Skyler,
                          Having had the chance to read both your articles on the development I was wanting to thank you from a person's point of view who is more interested in the Historic nature of an area and the preservation of Battlefields than building of cookie cutter homes. The news about the development is something I have heard about for well over a decade, but was extremely saddened to read the news several weeks ago. Many times when I've come to Spring Hill it was somewhat a relief to see Rippavilla with the beautiful land still preserved around the house, and this after seeing the destruction of the battlefield in Franklin just a short ride down the Pike, as well as the sad shape and small amount of land at Stone's River that is only slightly larger than the land being developed in Spring Hill. Stone's River National Park only has 709 acres of Battlefield, Franklin with it's small portions and reclaimed COUNTRY CLUB is just a prime example of what could go wrong with preserving the History of not only the United States, but more importantly the role Tennessee played in the American Civil War. Many people live on battlefield, and while it is impossible to save them all, the Rippavilla property was the second largest track of land in the area, and the largest outside of National Park hands to still exist, and it saddens me that the people of the County, town and state don't hold more stock in the History of the area to respect that fact. I read in your article:

"But County Historian Bob Duncan said he wouldn't be opposed to the property being developed as long as it was done tastefully.

"We have to understand that area is going to develop," he said. "I think, at this point, I woulid hope it would be developed with an eye toward keeping the historical integrity of
                          the area."

All I can say is Bob Duncan seriously needs to have his head examined. It's hard to respect the History and integrity of the area when folks are pushing shopping carts across a parking lot. Look at the Target development at the base of Winstead Hill in Franklin. I'm not sure if you were on site in Franklin when they tore down the Pizza Hut in 2005 to witness Edwin Bearss' speech on the importance of preservation, but as former Chief Historian of the National Park Service and now Chief Historian Emeritus for the National Park Service gave a modern day perspective on how this looks when he said "Could you imagine a Pizza Hut on the beaches of Normandy" and in my own words, it's hard to imagine a shopping mall on the cemetery of the fallen of any war past or present. The men who died on that land in 1864 deserve as much respect as those that die every day in Iraq.

Maybe my hope that some will help change the minds over such a large development is because of where I come from, and that being the Mississippi Gulf Coast. So much of the History of this area was whipped clean away and by no fault of our own, and by no choice of our own, and certainly by no development. We had no choice when our history was taken away from us, and Middle Tennessee and more importantly Spring Hill has taken the option of money of integrity, despite what your development friendly Historian says.

I'm sure I've wasted enough of your time. Please keep the articles coming, while sad news they are extremely informative and paint a pretty clear picture on how money hungry and sad the politicians in Middle Tennessee are in life.

Patrick Landrum
                          Gulfport, Mississippi
                          Patrick Landrum
                          Independent Rifles

Comment

Not to make it all better - because development is still development - but, after speaking with Rippavilla employees, it is my understanding that the land refered to is all south of the plantation and at least is not near core battlefield.

The worst development taking place near there now is the construction of a Super Target that is being placed on the site of Granbury's advance to the pike and Bate's bivouac the evening of the 29th of Nov.

This will be within four or five hundred yards of the most intense fighting between Cleburne's Division and Bradley's 3rd Brigade of Wagner's Division.

Jamie Gillum

Comment

The sad thing is, it is not only Civil War history that gets bulldozed. As a grad anthropology student at Ole Miss way back when, I cannot begin to list the prehistoric Native American villages and burial mounds we had to do rescue archeology on before they were lost. We literally were working in front of the bulldozers at times. Had to cut entire blocks of earth out around burials and bring the whole thing back to the lab on campus to carefully excavate it (Audobon Park in Tupelo springs to mind--really sad thing was at the lab I found blue trade beads in this stuff--proof postive that the Spainards had been there). All my life I have tried to tell folks that once these sites are gone, they are gone, there is no replacing them and no going back. Unfortunately, we live in a society more interested in the almightly dollar than they are in their own heritage and history. Sad, sad, sad.
                              Maggie Reese

Comment

Working...
                              X