Rowdy Pards Donation to SC Relic Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rowdy Pards Donation to SC Relic Room

In order to honor our recently-deceased member and dear friend, David “Duke” Culberson, The Rowdy Pards announce their contribution of $1,700 to the South Carolina Relic Room & Museum. David will be remembered by his friends and those who knew him for his deep love for his home state, and enjoyed his times at the Relic Room as he exercized his passion to learn all he could about The War Between the States.

The gift has been earmarked to help the museum purchase the recently discovered papers of General Colin J. McRae, the Confederacy’s chief financial agent in Europe during the first half of the Civil War, one of the greatest collections of primary source Confederate materials discovered in the last 100 years. Documentation of imported foreign arms and munitions by the C.S.A. and it ability to equip the Confederate soldier in the field has been almost completely lacking, and is understandable considering that foreign companies who violated the proclaimed neutrality of their respective governments had to conceal their involvement in illegal arms sales.

Most incriminating records were destroyed at the war’s end. General McRae’s papers (contained in over 800 documents) focus on English imports to the Confederate war effort. With an appraised value of $304,085, the collection represents one of the largest troves of Confederate documents discovered intact in the last century. The South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum can acquire the collection for $250,000, and intends to combine the information in it with artifacts of imported Confederate arms, uniforms, and equipment, to create a scholarly, educational exhibition linking South Carolina’s involvement in Confederate banking, purchasing, and supply to the entire Southern war effort, as well as the individual soldier. This exhibit would open at the museum during the national Civil War Sesquicentennial in 2011 and then travel to other museums throughout the nation.

The Rowdy Pards invite our fellow living historians, collectively and individually, to help the Museum reach its goal by sending contributions to:

Mr. Alan Roberson
    The South Carolina Relic Room & Museum
    301 Gervais Street
    Columbia, SC 29201
    Bill Cross
    The Rowdy Pards

Re: Rowdy Pards Donation to SC Relic Room

Thanks for sharing this news. That's a wonderful way to memorialize Duke's life and his time spent involved with this hobby.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for the donation. Happy to see money coming from different sources to help the SCCRR McRae project.
      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

As Duke was a "special" pard of mine (one that I could stand....), I suspect I'll be sending a Christmas donation in his memory of a few hundred dollars. Let's make the double donation $2000 total.

Charles...???

D Harrelson
        Former Pouty Farb

Comment

Thank you, Gents. I'm glad to see the McCrae collection is featured in your presentation efforts. It looks like the kind of thing that can settle some of the "I wonder what they were wearing/carrying?" questions.
          Bill Cross
          The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Bill, etc.

Many thanks for the kind donation. The SCCRR&M is approaching the date for another installment payment so any assistance is more than welcomed at this point. Conversely, I believe Paul and the museum staff may have some more documents to post soon. I look forward to these prompting additional discussion. You are correct too, the 'who wore what' issue is pretty much dead with what the McRae Papers bring to light.

Regards,

Neill Rose
            PLHA

Comment

That's great news - mind if I take a detour from this topic and ask if you know whatever became of the Confederate museum that stood on the end of the market in downtown Charleston? I thought that perhaps someone from the Palmetto state reading this might know - The last I heard, a hurricane had done a number on it...

I was stationed in Charleston in the late 80's, and made many a trip to that place. Any updates/info for my own curiosity would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks
              Bill Witt
              Bill Witt

Comment

Bill,

The UDC Museum is alive and well and moved back into the Market building several years ago. Lot's of great items on display to say the least...

Regards,

Neill Rose
                PLHA

Comment

Working...
                X