• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadly It Never Ends

Link to the story

November 10, 1987
    U.S. Fights a New Battle of Antietam

By PHILIP SHABECOFF, SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES
    LEAD: On Sept. 17, 1862, the cornfields and wooded ridges surrounding Antietam Creek ran with blood as the Union and Confederate armies clashed in the most savage single day of fighting in this country's history. As darkness fell, 23,000 Americans lay dead or wounded in the fields and woods.
    On Sept. 17, 1862, the cornfields and wooded ridges surrounding Antietam Creek ran with blood as the Union and Confederate armies clashed in the most savage single day of fighting in this country's history. As darkness fell, 23,000 Americans lay dead or wounded in the fields and woods.
    Today, the Antietam battlefield, part of the National Park System, is again much like the scene described by Brig. Gen. Jacob D. Cox of the Union Army hours before the battle: ''as pleasing and prosperous a landscape as can easily be imagined.''
    But, like virtually every other Civil War battlefield managed by the National Park Service, Antietam is being threatened by suburban sprawl and commercial development. While 3,200 acres of the battlefield are protected within the legislative boundaries of the park, thousands of acres more as well as the surrounding vistas are privately owned.
    A television cable company is seeking to put up a relay tower on a hill overlooking the field, an action at least temporarily halted by a court order. A real-estate developer plans to build a shopping mall on the farm where Lincoln vainly urged Gen. George McClellan to pursue Gen. Robert E. Lee's depleted Army of Northern Virginia after the battle. That mall plan, too, has been tied up in the courts. Another developer envisions a row of condominum homes on a ridge commanding the battlefield, said Richard Ramsur, superintendent of the National Battlefield. Still 'Pretty Pure'
    ''Look,'' Mr. Ramsur said, sweeping his arm toward the panorama of the battlefield, just outside this community that retains a small-town air. ''It is still pretty much the way it was in 1862; it gives you a perspective of history.''
    In terms of preserving the historical integrity of the scene, Antietam is still ''pretty pure,'' Mr. Ramsur said. But Park Service officials and private citizens interested in preservation say that virtually all of the other Civil War battlefields are under siege from urbanization and development.
    The Civil War Roundtable, a private organization of students of the war, estimates that over the last 10 to 15 years more Civil War battlefield sites have been lost to housing projects, shopping malls, highways, sewer lines and other development than in all the previous years since the war.
    A chief problem, it appears, is that when the protected National Battlefields were created, no one imagined how fast the nation's farmland would begin to disappear. So no special effort was made to provide protection for such land outside the battlefields' boundaries. 'Intrusion' at Gettysburg
    The areas around the battlefields are particularly vulnerable, some Park Service officials say, because they attract commercial interests who hope to cash in on the large numbers of visitors to these parks.
    Gettysburg National Military Park, only about 35 miles from Antietam in Pennsylvania, contains what one Park Service official called a ''classic intrusion on a historic scene.'' He referred to a 300-foot-tall sightseeing tower built by a businessman on private property within the park's boundaries.
    The tower hovers like a monster from a Japanese science-fiction movie over the battlefield where the Union's Army of the Potomac, commanded by Gen. George Gordon Meade, turned back Lee's invasion of the North in a desperate three-day battle in July 1863.
    The tower, visible from virtually every corner of the park, is not the only intrusion on the historic scene. Steinwehr Avenue, which borders the battlefield, is lined with fast-food restaurants, motels and souvenir stands. A blue-green water tank erected by the town of Gettysburg hunches over the military cemetery. National vs. Local Interest
    ''If we end up an island of green surrounded by development, a lot of what the park stands for will be lost,'' said Bob Davidson, assistant superintendent of the park. ''There are parts of the park where its integrity already has been totally compromised.''
    But Mr. Davidson and other Park Service officials concede that the national interest in restricting development to retain historical integrity is not always in the local interest. David L. Sites, a real-estate agent and developer in Gettysburg, said he wanted the Park Service to keep ''beautifying'' the parks so that visitors would be attracted to the area.
    ''But you can't expect everybody in this county to say I am going to stop living, that I am not going to put a house up or stop providing services to people,'' he said . ''People here have the same right to economic growth as anyplace else in America.''
    Under a suggestion from a Congressional subcommittee, the Park Service is re-examining what can be done to insulate the Gettysburg battlefield. Some Sites Are Worse
    Park Service officials say many battlefields are in much worse shape than Gettysburg. The sites of the many battles around Richmond, Va., for example, have been largely engulfed by that city. The field at Chantilly in northern Virginia has been virtually carpeted with suburban homes and shopping centers. And the service is urgently looking for ways to keep the Manasssas battlefield from being overrun by northern Virginia's explosive growth.
    Mr. Davidson said the service has a variety of tools to protect its territory. One is the outright purchase of vital land, a practice that has been growing more difficult as land values rise and as the Reagan Administration discourages it. The service can also buy easements under which the seller retains the property but agrees to keep it in its historic condition.
    Another tool is local zoning laws to keep land in agriculture or otherwise bar intrusive development. Finally, he noted, other people than the Federal Government can acquire and protect the area. Why the Fuss? Why should an effort be made to preserve these fields of battle where no trumpet has sounded and no gun has fired for well over a century?
    Because ''they are tangible evidence of some of the most significant events of United States history.'' said Dr. Robert Meinhard, professor emeritus of Winona College in Minnesota, at a recent meeting of the Civil War Roundtable in Gettysburg. ''Consciousness of the past is necessary to maintain our cohesive cultural identity.''
    These fields, he added, ''remind us of the history of death and suffering and sacrifice that took place here.''
    Correction: December 23, 1987, Wednesday, Late City Final Edition
    Last edited by paulcalloway; 12-07-2007, 07:29 PM. Reason: That link will be broken in a month - we need the text of the article too
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: Sadly It Never Ends

I know that many battlefields are currently under siege, but if there is one that ought to be salvaged, in my humble opinion, it is Antietam. Yes, the great Baltimore-Washington metro-plex threatens.

Let me put it another way: as I sat at my desk in Minneapolis on September 11th, listening to the NPR broadcast of the developing story of the attack on the World Trade Center, I said aloud to a co-worker, "This will rival Antietam." He didn't get the reference! Mercifully, it didn't, and my prediction was premature. More Americans were killed or wounded in one place on one day, 17 September 1962, than ANYWHERE else in Amerian History. Not even D-Day, with the grevious casulties on Omaha Beach of the 29th Divisions (the Blue & Gray division!) rivaled the losses. May it never change - I pray this in earnest.

But all of us who care about preserving the past, the memory of the the Civil War, should muster for any fight that can protect this, the most hallowed ground that might turn under the developer's blade. Gettysburg is reasonably secure, as are many National Parks. Other fields are being expanded - like Franklin, Tennessee. One would think that Antietam should be our major long-term focus. Much of the area around that National Park, smaller and less complete than many, is privately-held, and that can lead to mischief.

My home unit, the First Minnesota, lost 104 men in the West Woods. Color Sergeant Sam Bloomer, lost a leg, after hiding the National colors inside his vest to avoid it's capture. While in enemy hands, Southern troops offered him their canteen and tried to make him more comfortable. If you enact an eastern unit, North or South, I bet that YOUR unit paid a heavy toll in sacred blood that gray day in Maryland. We should now work together to save this incedibably important place in American History.

Jim Moffet
    Co. A First Minnesota
    Western Brigade

Comment

Am a bit confused here - that article was written in 1987.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
        Am a bit confused here - that article was written in 1987.
        Doug,

Your right. Twenty years later and we are still fighting to save our battlefields. Sadly it never ends.
        [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

While we tend to concentrate on the loss of battlefield acreage, and for good reason, just think for a moment about the amount of battlefield land that has been preserved since that article first appeared in 1987.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
            While we tend to concentrate on the loss of battlefield acreage, and for good reason, just think for a moment about the amount of battlefield land that has been preserved since that article first appeared in 1987.
            It would be an interesting study to see how much land was preserved / lost to development / lost but formerly preserved year by year or decade by decade. At least they aren't running tanks across the Henry House Hill anymore..... and that tall eyesore at Gburg was taken down.....

There's still the Rebel Yell drive in hamburger stand at Sabine Pass (great shakes and a true malt if desired).....

Am still PO'd about the Gettysburg College land swap with the railroads in about 1992...where we lost the area around Seminary Ridge and the RR Cut where the 6th Wisconsin had supported Battery B, 4th US Artillery in their struggle against Pender, et al.... 5 years after the 1987 article....
            RJ Samp
            (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Sadly the price of conservation is eternal vigilence. While Civil War battlefields are constantly pressured, Rev. War sites are also attacked, but with less popular support. The Guilford Courthouse battlefield in North Carolina has been under assault from those who represent "progress" in Greensboro. So rough has it been that the city announced that it would be easing traffic constraints near the NPS park there by building a traffic circle. Too bad it was on park property and not done with NPS support. Fortunately it was kaibashed. We may disagree with the NPS alot, but they have more political "enemies" than are present to us.
              Sincerely,
              Michael Zatarga
              9th NYZ

Comment

I remember many of us preservationists in the hobby being somewhat skeptical after the merger of APCWS and CWPT, but we can all agree now that the success rate has risen dramatically. Back then we won high profile fights such as Stewart's Hill at Manassas (the Mall), Brandy Station (Formula One racetrack) and of course, the Disney Historical Theme Park in Northern Virginia. There were some smaller victories too, but nowhere near the sheer number of successful efforts we have today. The evolving synergy of local, national, media, governmental and hobby representatives from the preservation, environmental and smart growth camps would have been unthinkable 20 years ago. Throw in some far sighted developers and land owners that are given win-win solutions, instead of zero sum solutions, as well as the rise of the entire concept of "Green Tourism" and you have the results acheived to date. Over it all, the superb leadership and management of the effort lead by Jim Lighthizer and the microscopic staff at CWPT is truly amazing, esp among interest groups in Washington. ;)

Lastly, the involvement of the hobby in this effort has expanded greatly. We are no longer guys in funny clothes showing up at public demonstrations (often a double edged sword) but are now working behind and in front of the media as partners with CWPT. Our efforts are focused on the things that really matter and efforts that are winnable. But I am continually impressed by what is winnable today. Had you told me of the success at Franklin, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Mansfield and many other places 10 years ago, I would have been skeptical given the conditions for change back then.

Petal to the metal, get involved, join CWPT and make it count. Long after your days in the field are done and the uniforms are gathering dust, you will remember the hallowed ground we saved as the greatest legacy of the "hobby" and the part you played.
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

Comment

It is very sad to see battle feilds such as the battle of Harrisonburg which some of General Turner Ashby's men were engaged with a part of the Pennsylvania Bucktails. Ashby was killed In that small battle. All that remains of that site is a memorial where Ashby fell with some trees around it. James Madison University wants to turn that small wooded area into apartments! It really hurts a lot for me to see notyhing left of what used to be a large open or dense space that men died in.:(
                  HistoryGeek
                  I play drums because nobody knows when I play the wrong notes.

Comment

Originally posted by HistoryGeek
                    It is very sad to see battle feilds such as the battle of Harrisonburg,Va which some of General Turner Ashby's men were engaged with a part of the Pennsylvania Bucktails. Ashby was killed In that small battle. All that remains of that site is a memorial where Ashby fell with some trees around it. James Madison University wants to turn that small wooded area into apartments! It really hurts a lot for me to see notyhing left of what used to be a large open or dense space that men died in.:(Evan Hunsberger
                    HistoryGeek
                    I'm just as much for historic preservation as the next fellow, but IMHO we need to be realistic. I feel that we should be focusing on the major events that tell the story of the war (i.e. Gettysburg, Shiloh etc...) I also feel that there should be serisous effort in saving the forts scattered around the country(such as Fort Wayne and Fort Mifflin) Frankly, we can't save them all, and should focus on those that are most significant. I feel that there should also be effort placed in restoring the battlefields/forts to their original appearance, and purchasing original items to be put into museums.
                    Again, just my personal opinion. Let the flames begin.
                    Last edited by Suppelsa; 12-31-2007, 05:47 PM.
                    Chris Suppelsa

Comment

I'm going to agree and disagree with you on this one. I agree we need to make sure Gettysburg, and Manssas, Shiloh, etc etc are preserved, and much of those fields are. I also agree we can't save it all. However some of the small and insignifigant battles you speak of are more signifigant then you think. Some, set up the outcome of the great battles like Manassas. Two examples that are near and dear to my heart, one is the battle of Falling Waters, WV July 2, 1861. It was the first battle in the Shenandoah Valley, and "Stonewall" Jackson's first fight. It lastest just 45 minutes, and resulted in a few caulities. Heck it only had about 500 Confederates aganst a few thousand Federals. But because of this little fight, Patterson's Union forces never joned up with the rest of the Union Army for the first battle of Manassas, and thus making a large impacton the outcome. This field or what's left of it should be saved to explain what I just, said and much more. Another Campaign is Jackon's Bath-Romney Campaign. It was his first totlally independant command and his objective really was to get the western counties of Virginia (WVA) under Confederate control, and because he finally abandoned Romney and didn't continue with the campaign, it helped seal the fate of the creation of WV, so shouldn't at least some sites along the campaign route, and skirmish areas be preserved? This small horrible campaign most peple don't know much about had some preatty important ramifications. Our history is all around, and if we don't tell people its there we'll lose and they'll never know. We have the CWPT, who works on the big stuff, and we should all support them but we should be involved on the local level too trying to save or at least raise awarenss of those little things that really did make a difference but we just don't know about it. I'm sure others know of skirmishes and battles that are in a similar catagory. Also, if we raise awarensss developers, might even be willing to work with groups by donatating some land to make a small park, etc which will increase their property vaule, etc on these smaller historic sites. Ok, off my soap box. =)
                      Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
                      Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
                      5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

It is more than telling the story of the war - its also about preserving green space for future generations. What better place to keep green than those areas that are hallowed ground. I admit to feeling a wee bit strange to see more joggers than history seekers at places like Kennesaw, but at least they are saved for everybody.

The priority list is the single toughest aspect of CW preservation. Lighthizer and Co have a very difficult row to hoe as they navigate the various legal, political and governmental aspects that when combined with the historical importance, yield the priority list. They have an outstanding sense of the possible and impossible and the guts to go after the big prizes even when it seems impossible...because they understand the odds. Gettysburg is an outstanding example. I wish I could go back and count the naysayers - those who though there was no way we could win and those who thought it foolish to expend so much energy on killing the Casino, when other battlefields were more directly threatened. But CWPT understood the symbol and how a victory would effect the entire preservation effort, not just the future of Gettysburg.

Small and large, important and obscure. CWPT understands it all. We cannot save everything, but we sure have a good plan to do as much as possible.
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

Comment

Thank you Doug Cooper, I wanted to get in on the GREEN SPACE. The Spring Hill site is a example of when we fail and the community fails to see the importance of these places.
                          Thomas J. Alleman
                          "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                            Small and large, important and obscure. CWPT understands it all. We cannot save everything, but we sure have a good plan to do as much as possible.
                            I hate to say anything disparaging about CWPT because they have done great work, but I cannot agree with the statement that says "CWPT understands it all" nor do they always "have a good plan to do as much as possible." In one instance they did nothing but throw in the towel before the bell had even rung.

A couple of years ago CWPT was unable to purchase a tract of land along Route 20 north of Saunders Field on the Wilderness battlefield. The asking price was way out of their range. OK, that happens, but just because they couldn't buy it doesn't mean that the preservation battle is over. But later on they made the incredible statement via correspondece to their members that read (paraphrasing) "this part of the Wilderness battlefield is now lost to us forever."

What does that mean? Just because CWPT no longer can purchase the land that the fight is over? It sure gave me and several others I know the impression that no further actions, either through legislation or negotiation, could possibly save that part of the battlefield. Loss of that tract would certainly lead to the widening of Route 20 which would disembowel a national park that already looks like Swiss chees.

And, because CWPT is the leading voice in the preservation arena, that statement seemed to imply that allied organizations such as the Center Virginia Battlefield Trust, the Friends of Wilderness Battlefield and the NPS could not, or would not, do anything further to prevent or mitigate development of that tract. The fact that this remark was made in the wake of the great victory at Chancellorsville's Mullins Farm (the Lick Run Tract), where all of these organizations came together with the new owner and worked out a spectacular compromise, was particularly puzzling.

Due to the careless nature of that statement I didn't bother to renew my membership in CWPT. Because of my particular interest in the Wilderness I'll give my hard-earned dollars to CVBT or FotWB in the future. I won't mindlessly take CWPTs word about which battlefields are, or are not, "lost forever" just because they can't afford to buy them. There are always other avenues to pursue when outright purchase fails, but CWPT seems to have forgotten that in this instance. In doing so may have undermined other preservation avenues for protecting the Wilderness along the Route 20 corridore. But, the fight is not over... it hasn't even started.
                            [B]Bill Carey[/B]
                            [I]He is out of bounds now. He rejoices in man's lovely,
                            peculiar power to choose life and die—
                            when he leads his black soldiers to death,
                            he cannot bend his back. [/I] - Robet Lowell, [I]For the Union Dead[/I]

Comment

Bill,

I understand what you're saying, but with regard to the Wilderness tract, the CWPT did not give up the fight on that 63-acre property. They spearheaded the effort to get folks out to the Orange County rezoning meeting on the property. They spoke out in opposition to the rezoning, which was ultimately defeated and thus prevented the possible utilization of that land for a rerouted or widening of Route 20.

Within the past few weeks, the NPS and the landowner came to an agreement and the NPS will be purchasing that property. This was made possible because: a) the CWPT raised local and national consciousness of the property; b) campaigned against the rezoning, which resulted in the defeat of such a land use change; c) the lack of a rezoning convinced the landowner to seek his fortunes elsewhere and he is selling the tract to the NPS.

The decision to purchase land by the NPS is not made at the local park level, but is made by staff in the regional and national offices. Had the CWPT purchased the property, it is doubtful the NPS would have bought it from them, because they may have viewed it as already preserved.

While the CWPT's statement that "this part of the Wilderness battlefield is now lost to us forever" may have been a bit of hyperbole and premature, in the end success was achieved with this 63-acre tract. It was preserved without CWPT funds, which can now be used in other areas, and Orange County administrators now understand the extreme interest in "this part of the Wilderness battlefield." I'm not suggesting that was the CWPT's strategy, but I don't believe they ever gave up the fight, regardless of what they said or the impression that they gave.

Of course, there remains a larger tract within the NPS authorized boundary that is still in private hands and whose owner is looking at its commercial potential.

See the maps on this previous thread - Commercial Development Proposed Inside Wilderness Battlefield

Eric
                              Eric J. Mink
                              Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                              Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Working...
                              X