Flag of Company H, 2nd SCV "Lancaster Invincibles"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flag of Company H, 2nd SCV "Lancaster Invincibles"

If we ever pursue another project in SC. I would like to raise $10-15,000 to preserve the company flag of Company H, 2nd, SCV the "Lancaster Invincibles", this flag was displayed in the Lancaster Public Library for years and the last I heard it was awaiting restoration at the South Carolina Confederate Relic Room& Military Museum. (SCRR&MM).

Although not as significant as the McRae papers or as urgent as endangered battlefields, maybe it could become another project in the near future. Although I have to admit, the AC forum has done a lot for SC preservation projects over the years, and I mention this at many SC events.

I have personally raised over $164 for SC battlefield preservation and have collected $200 for the CWPT, sometimes acting as a "tax collector" and Revenue Judge at events.

Again thanks for all the contributions.
    Attached Files
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Re: Flag of Company H, 2nd SCV "Lancaster Invincibles"

Greg,

Sounds like a just cause to me. It's in incredible condition. Do you know any of the wartime history of the flag? You have my support sir!
    Regards,
    Scott Dallimore
    14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
    Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
    -------------------------------------

Comment

Greg,

A Lancaster Invincible Flag was recently restored and is hanging in the Lancaster County Govt. Building. It did hang in the Lancaster Library and was then sent to the SC State Museum. I took pictures and can't find them. I will go by and see if it is the same flag.
      Claude Sinclair
      Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Claude:

The pictures are from 2002. If the flag has been restored that would be great news and I would like to see the "after" results.
        Gregory Deese

"How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

The pictures posted are of a different flag than the one now hanging in the Lancaster County Bldg. I believe one in the County Bldg. was made by the Ladies for the Mexican War. I will try to stop by and get a little more history from the documents and letters displayed with the flag.

This is the first time I've heard of any other flags from Lancaster in existence, but I only moved here 17 years ago from NC. I would be very much interested in any additional information on the flag pictured and starting a fund to have it restored.

Wm. Roy Cloninger
          Lancaster, SC
          Wm. Roy Cloninger
          Bugler
          Palmetto Battalion

Comment

The Flag at the County Building is the Flag(or one of them) that was presented to the Lancaster Invincible s of Lancaster County, SC. It was presented in 1841 and it has sewed on it, "Renewed 1857". Oh, this one was presented by Jane Bell, my wifes gggg aunt. She was of the Bell Clan of Lancaster, SC out of Pittsburg, PA.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Clsinclair; 01-03-2008, 07:45 AM.
            Claude Sinclair
            Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Appreciate it Claude.

Do you know anything about or have you ever seen the flags Mr. Deese posted?

Wm. Roy Cloninger
              Wm. Roy Cloninger
              Bugler
              Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Greg,

Thanks for posting this. I moved it out of the ACPP folder only because that folder is for the ACPP projects that have been decided on.
                Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by PalmettoBugler View Post
                  Appreciate it Claude.

Do you know anything about or have you ever seen the flags Mr. Deese posted?

Wm. Roy Cloninger
                  Roy, It would be best to check with the SC Relic room to inquire of the status of the flag or the SC State Museum. Our battalion has helped restore several flags and this could very well be our next project.

Greg, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. When we attended September Storm and did the A.P. Hill march from Harpers Ferry we portrayed the Lynches River Guards. One of the orginal Lynches River Guard flags is kept under an old mans bed in a shoe box. It was carefully removed from the shoe box and pictures were taken. It had the Palmetto Tree on one side and the other side had something else. Sooner or later that orginal flag will just be dust in a box because the old man doesn't want to preserve it or at least he doesn't want anything more than a shoe box can offer. Anyway the reproduction was beautiful.

To Joe Long, do you know anything regarding the Lancaster Invincible Flag?
                  Claude Sinclair
                  Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Claude,

I will check with the relic room. This would be a good project for our Camp to work on as well. I will shoot you a picture of Billy holding the flag on the AP Hill March. Unfortunately, its a good picture of Billy, but there was no wind to carry the flag out.
                    Wm. Roy Cloninger
                    Bugler
                    Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Thanks Claude, Roy and Scott and Dusty. I understand about the moving the thread, Capt. Amos McManus, probably fought under both flags, he was a Mexican War veteran and a GG Uncle of mine. He had a nephew named Amos who fought in the 1st SC Regulars (Butler's). Capt. McManus was later elected Sheriff of Lancaster District.

In the possession of Governor Jno. G. RICHARDS is a battle-scarred flag bearing the title, "The Lancaster Invincibles." This flag was presented to Governor RICHARDS by T. W. THOMPSON of Minneapolis. Gen. David THOMSPON, the grandfather of J. W. THOMPSON, of the 82nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment, captured the flag during an engagement toward the close of the confederate War. On one side of the banner are the words "Our Cause is Just, We Pledge Our Lives to Its Defense." On the other side are the words "Presented by the Ladies to the Lancaster Invincibles."
                      http://www.rootsweb.com/~sclancas/records/lanccoh.htm
                      Last edited by SCTiger; 01-04-2008, 12:51 AM.
                      Gregory Deese

Comment

Working...
                      X