A surprise phone call...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A surprise phone call...

was given to me tonight by Jim Lighthowser of the CWPT. I had made a modest donation to the Trust about a month back to add part of the Crater battlefield to the Park Sevice holdings in Petersburg. Based on the fact that my Great-Grandfather was involved in that action, I thought it was a unique opportunity to commemorate his memory by purchasing the entire tract for them. Mr. Lighthowser apparently heard of my donation and the story behind it and personally called me to thank me for my support. Needless to say, I was humbled by his personal response and gratitude.
    This isn't the first donation to this or other preservation organizations my son and I have made, but this is the first time I've been contacted by phone to thank me personally.

D Harrelson

Re: A surprise phone call...

Hate to ask it... but how much did it cost?

Is that too gauche? I was curious now that you mentioned it.

Selfless preservation is excellent as it benefits future generations. Bully!

Thank you for your donation. -Johnny
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 01-03-2008, 08:45 AM.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Don,

Thanks for your donation.
      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by D Harrelson View Post
        was given to me tonight by Jim Lighthowser of the CWPT. I had made a modest donation to the Trust about a month back to add part of the Crater battlefield to the Park Sevice holdings in Petersburg. Based on the fact that my Great-Grandfather was involved in that action, I thought it was a unique opportunity to commemorate his memory by purchasing the entire tract for them. Mr. Lighthowser apparently heard of my donation and the story behind it and personally called me to thank me for my support. Needless to say, I was humbled by his personal response and gratitude.
        This isn't the first donation to this or other preservation organizations my son and I have made, but this is the first time I've been contacted by phone to thank me personally.

D Harrelson
        For all you have done over the years (and Sam) you deserve all our thanks Mud Flap. I will never forget Sam's lemonade stand for preservation back then - what was he, 9 years old or some such? Well done...again.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

He didn't call me personally but I did get another letter thanking me and asking for more money.
          GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
          High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

I donated the amount for the 1.97 acre area that Mahone's Brigade formed up to go into the battle. The money was matched 7:1 by Federal and State grants and programs.

D Harrelson

Comment

Working...
            X