12 August, 1861 - Invoice for Misc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 12 August, 1861 - Invoice for Misc.

Mr. Nichols in "SOLDIERS ACCOUTREMENTS OF THE BRITISH ARMY 1750-1900" Canteens are referred to as water bottles from 1812 on. JIM HENSLEY
    Last edited by militiaman1835; 05-21-2007, 04:21 PM. Reason: clear
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
    Order of Heptasophs 1852

Comment

Pierre Turner in his book "SOLDIERS ACCOUTREMENTS OF THE BRITISH ARMY 1750-1900" does indeed use the term "waterbottle" in his drawings from 1812 onwards. He does, however state in the text, waterbottle or canteen throughout. It is a very good book,with some expert drawings, however you do also need to refer to other material from the period, "Arms and Equipment of the British Army, 1866" is useful.

I think the reason is that Canteens were not an item of personal issue to a British soldier and do not appear alongside uniform parts. Under the General List of Accoutrements and Appointments, is "Canteen,wooden, with strap cost 2s 6d weight, 1lb 12oz. All ranks, but only when on active service", Arms and Equipment of the British Army, 1866.

From about 1880 or so you find soldiers having retained the canteens for full time use even on home service,and it appears that the real change in what troops called them started about then. Why? no real idea.

I have always called mess tins, mess tins. Issued once at public expense as Necessaries; Tin, mess 1s 2 1/2d, cover for mess tin 5 1/2d.

The metalic waterbottle came into service in 1888.

British troops still use both descriptions for the humble water container.
      [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]John Hopper[/SIZE][/FONT]
      [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]Winston Free-State/First Confederate Legion/AoT
      Member of The Company of Military Historians[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Cheers, mate!
        [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][B]Aden Nichols
        [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]"Great spirits have always experienced violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

But the invoice mentions canteen and cover. I was suggesting reference to british soldiers mess kits being called canteens. In dictionary reference under answer.com #5 definition... Canteen: "a british soldiers mess kit". I have read this reference before but can't place the time frame. Will keep looking. JIM HENSLEY
          [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
          Order of Heptasophs 1852

Comment

Jim, you may be right, I/we did wonder, as there are no other mention of waterbottles/canteens being sold or sent, and as far as I am aware, (subject to later suprises in the McRae Papers) in any of Huse's or Isaac & Campbell's lists. This coupled with the fact the British Army had no canteen with a cover until 1880 it could be one answer? The bit that suprises though, in some ways, is that, Samuel Isaac was a military contractor (albeit an ex-National contractor from 1858). He was supplying the newly formed Rifle Volunteers and one would asume his company (I, C & Co.) would use the same terms of reference as the military, and the references I have quoted come straight out of the 1866 book.

It appears that the sale of Necessaries did not catch on anyway, which in itself is interesting!
            [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]John Hopper[/SIZE][/FONT]
            [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]Winston Free-State/First Confederate Legion/AoT
            Member of The Company of Military Historians[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
            X