Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Monument Belongs on the September Cover of the AC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Monument Belongs on the September Cover of the AC?

It is time to vote for the next cover. Given recent events, I thought it would be appropriate this month to do something different. For September, we will be placing a Civil War Monument on the cover.

Please vote for the image that you think best represents our response to those who want to tear monuments down. There are some excellent ones presented here. Each is deserving in its own way. Please explain why you voted for the one you did. This is a teachable moment to discuss why these monuments are important to us as historians and as remembrances for both sides of the conflict:

Image #1 - The New York Peace Monument at Lookout Mountain, Submitted by David Mcaskill.

Image #2 - National Cemetery and site of the POW camp in Salisbury, NC. Note that the inscription reads "For our Country tis a bliss to die." Submitted by Tyler Underwood.

Image #3 - "The monument is entitled “Spirit Triumphant,” and was created by Donald DeLue, who was also the sculptor of the Mississippi monument. It represents a wounded gunner of New Orleans Washington Artillery clutching to his heart a Confederate battle flag while above him the Spirit of the Confederacy sounds a trumpet and raises a flaming cannonball. A nearby marker bears a tablet with the names of the commission responsible for the monument. Louisiana sent over 3,000 men to Gettysburg with the Army of Northern Virginia. Around 725 became casualties. It was the seventh largest contingent and the seventh highest casualties of the twelve Confederate states at Gettysburg." - Submitted by Rae Evans. SOURCE

Image #4 - Kentucky Monument at Chickamauga Battlefield. This monument honors the sacrifice of both Union and Confederate soldiers from Kentucky. Taken by me in June of 2017. In times such as these, this is a great reminder that we CAN honor the sacrifice of men from both sides. Submitted by Derrick Lindow.

Image #5 - Lee/Virginia Monument at Seminary Ridge/Gettysburg. Submitted by Stephen Lunsford.

Image #6 - Mahone monument at the Petersburg crater. The Petersburg siege and crater battle have been fascinating topics for me for a while now. It reminds me of how brutal war can be, and I hope we never have to return to this sort of violence amongst ourselves as a nation. Submitted by Kent Baxley.

Image #7 - This is the Maryland Monument at Antietam. It is important because is truly shows how one state contributed to both sides during the war allowing people to see the brother against brother, neighbor vs. neighbor that was the Civil War. I purposely found an image that has people in it because that is what monuments are for to learn from and understand what has happened in our past. From the youngest generations to the oldest. The picture is of the backside of the monument but through it you can see the Dunker church which was a focal point of the battle. Submitted by Don Woods.

Image #8 - The monument in Congressional Cemetery to the girls and women of the Washington Arsenal, killed in an explosion of munitions in the spring of 1864. Submitted by Michael Schaffner.

Image #9 - One of the very first monuments - Manassas/Bull Run. Submitted by Mark "Silas" Tackitt.

Image #10 - This is the less famous tomb of the unknowns at Arlington. Beneath this lie the remains of hundreds of men collected from the Bull Run battlefield, including (probably) my G-G-G-Uncle, William Monroe Scott. He served in Co. H, 7th WI. Inscription Reads: BENEATH THIS STONE REPOSE THE BONES OF TWO THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN UNKNOWN SOLDIERS GATHERED AFTER THE WAR FROM THE FIELDS OF BULL RUN, AND THE ROUTE TO THE RAPPAHANOCK, THEIR REMAINS COULD NOT BE IDENTIFIED. BUT THEIR NAMES AND DEATHS ARE RECORDED IN THE ARCHIVES OF THEIR COUNTRY, AND ITS GRATEFUL CITIZENS HONOR THEM AS OF THEIR NOBLE ARMY OF MARTYRS. MAY THEY REST IN PEACE. SEPTEMBER. A. D. 1866. Submitted by Tyler D. Scott

Image #1
    8.60%
    Image #2
    1.08%
    Image #3
    12.90%
    Image #4
    1.08%
    Image #5
    8.60%
    Image #6
    2.15%
    Image #7
    5.38%
    Image #8
    30.11%
    Image #9
    22.58%
    Image #10
    7.53%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Eric Tipton; 08-22-2017, 10:33 PM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Which Monument Belongs on the September Cover of the AC?

Just a reminder. Voting closes tomorrow at 11:06 PM. Get your vote counted!
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Comment

So, the whole point of this was the public call for the removal of Confederate monuments and statues. The presumed winner and runner-up are both dedicated to the Union war effort. Is this irony, or justice?
      Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
      Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

Michael:

The point was to put a monument on the cover and let the membership decide. That's it. We could have just picked one, but we didn't. The winning monument is about the deaths of women and children. It's not justice or irony. It's humanity. How appropriate that when given the choice, our members chose neither "side".
        ERIC TIPTON
        Former AC Owner

Comment

This is indeed pleasant news to wake up to -- my wife will be very happy to see her photo on the site. Thanks to everyone who participated, and especially to the moderators, including Mr. Tipton, who put up with much from me in earlier discussions of monuments.

It struck me that the two leading contenders were, as Eric points out, not "Union" per se. But they did have something that made them both very appropriate for the Forum -- they, like no. 10, dated from the time of the war. The others are just as "authentic" in expression, but not perhaps in timing.

From what I heard from NPS staff at Manassas, No. 9 was "authentic" in the extreme -- when the monument was restored in recent years they discovered that some of the shells used as a decorative touch still had their original explosive charges (!).

As for the Arsenal Memorial, it records a particularly poignant time for the nation's capital. Washington City in June, 1864, had become flooded with dead and wounded from the Overland Campaign as the war heated up. It was also a dry, hot summer, with workers in all branches of government struggling to keep up with the needs of the army. It all became quite personal on June 17th when a careless worker put some flares to dry near the entrance of a "choking room" where young women with nimble fingers were busy preparing small arms cartridges -- some 50-75,000 of which were there at the time when fireworks went off in the summer heat and the first burning pellets of sulfur came flying through the windows...

The Cemetery's history blog has an overview of what happened, with a link to more details: https://congressionalcemetery.wordpr...nal-explosion/

You can find additional information here: http://allenbrowne.blogspot.com/2012...e-of-1864.html

An even more detailed account is on the National Archives site: https://www.archives.gov/publication...spring/arsenal

Thanks again to everyone who voted, and to the moderators who give so much of their own time to running this site.
          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Michael:

The new cover is posted.

Congratulations on the image and please thank your wife for her contribution. Without belaboring the point, I was somewhat concerned that putting a monument on the cover this month could have the potential to get off track given the contentious issue of monuments. However, I wanted to do this because my gut told me that the membership would choose the appropriate homage that would represent our feelings as a community right now. I was not disappointed.

In light of everything, I honestly think that selecting an image that honors the death of civilians is a great gesture. Having an original image at the dedication of one of the first monuments on the Battlefield of Bull Run as the runner up is, as you noted, also very appropriate.

Thanks to everyone who submitted an image this month and voted. Your participation is greatly appreciated.
            ERIC TIPTON
            Former AC Owner

Comment

Please Note:

Please refer to forum rules. No modern politics. The Authentic-Campaigner has created the Preserve History page on Facebook to give readers a venue to discuss these issues.
              This website is for discussing the living history hobby.
              Thank you.
              John Wickett - Adminstrator

Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 10-04-2017, 11:30 AM.
              Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
              X