Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Step Back

Good Evening:

I have an important announcement to make regarding my time in the hobby and the Authentic Campaigner. Moving forward, my active participation in Authentic Civil War Living History is over. This is not an easy decision, but a necessary one. I started living history in September of 2002 and have traveled to practically every Civil War site I wanted to visit. I have made lifelong friends and had adventures with them that I will never forget. Many I have known over the years have left the hobby and some have unfortunately passed away. Some of you will be friends for life. In addition to the memories, this is the best gift the hobby has given me.

This isn't really goodbye. This is just a clarification of where I have been in the hobby for the past few months. Frankly, I debated whether to make any kind of announcement at all, but given my countless obligations, I felt it was necessary to let all of you know so you aren't counting on me or wonder why I am slow to respond. I strongly believe that you either put your whole being into an effort and do your best or you don't. At some point recently, the fire inside of me died out for the hobby and it isn't fair to continue if I am not giving 100%. Leave it to some of the younger guys to step up and take the torch. I have run a long way and it's time for me to look into other ventures.

I turned fifty in August. My son Alex will be thirteen in September (on the Sunday of Rosecrans' Pursuit no less). I have put literally thousands of hours into this hobby. I have written articles and event scripts, raised tens of thousands for preservation, built numerous web sites, researched, helped found an authentic group, organized events and been on the staff of, or owned the AC since 2004. Through social media, I brought the AC to the masses and worked with many to market and publicize events, research and share our love for living history. I can't think of anything more I want to accomplish in Authentic Civil War Living History. What it comes down to is that I can choose to do this until I am old and broken down or I can leave while I am still relatively young - on my own terms. I decided to do the latter.

Concerning The Authentic Campaigner, John Wickett will be the new Point of Contact. John has been a dear friend of mine for years now and he has been in the hobby longer than me. He has also been a staff member of the AC for a long period of time and owned the AC previous to me taking the reigns. For continuity, I will maintain ownership of the AC and work behind the scenes to make sure a seamless transition is accomplished. Be assured that I will do everything in my power to make sure that the AC will continue as a viable entity. When I took over in 2013, we had no money and practically no social media presence. We now have the cash to run the AC for years to come, a vast social media presence and a staff full of people who are extremely active in the hobby. It is in good hands.

Regarding Mess No. 1, we recently began the process of transitioning duties to younger members and I hope to see it continue to survive and thrive. Ken Cornett, Joe Liechty, Evan Zimmerman and I started the mess in July of 2003 and to all of you boys who have been with us over the years, you will always hold a special place in my heart for the great times we had and all of the places we went. A full list of the events we have attended together can be found on the front page of the Mess No. 1 web site here. To date, we have been to 77 different authentic events in fifteen states. Quite a journey to be sure, and I loved every minute of it.

I will not be selling my gear or counting out making an appearance at some event in the future, but for now, Rosecrans' Pursuit will be my final event - either organizing or attending. I will make every effort to continue to work with the event staff as we organize Rosecrans' Pursuit to ensure its success. I made a commitment and will see it through. I hope to see you there.

THANK YOU to all of you who have supported me and shared many great moments over the years. You will always be with me. Whatever is said about me in the future, I am proud to say that I gave it my all and did my part to keep living history alive.

Your Obedient Servant, Always...
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Well, good luck out there with all them civilians...
    [FONT="Georgia"]
    Pete Bedrossian
    150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
    [/FONT
    ]

Comment

Thank you sir, for all your hard work!

Sargent Michael P. Sweeney
      9th Virginia Company C
      Chesterfield Yellowjackets
      "We Sting!"

“Major, tell my father I died with my face to the enemy.”
      Col. Isaac Avery Co. E N.C. infantry
      (Written in his own blood: Battle of Gettysburg)

Comment

I was sorry to read this, not least to hear that the fire has dwindled.

Hopefully, as you son grows older, he may rekindle that passion and you can share it together.

Either way - safe travels.
        Stephen Bennett
        Odense, Denmark
        Co. A, 2nd Colorado

Comment

Sometimes we have to just do different things. Its kind of like eating pizza all the time. You want to but you just cant. You have a lot to be proud of and accomplished a lot. No one can ever take that away. The hobby ebbs and flows its life. Go spend time with your family, do some other passion, and remember History is always there...

Stay well My friend.
          Thank You,

Brent Dacus

The AC Admin
          The Company of Military Historians
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust

Are you reading? I still am...

Comment

Thanks for all your hard work over the years, making this forum a great resource for so many people.

Keep safe and good luck.
            Robert Dickson, 2nd Lt. 69th New York, Company C UK

Comment

Working...
            X