X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote for the December Cover of the AC

Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving!

Here are the images that have been submitted for the December 2017 cover of the AC. The goal is to pick the image that most-resembles an original. When you vote, let us know what you think makes the image worthy of the cover. You must be a member of the AC to vote. This poll will be open for eight days.

Here are links to each of the images:

Image #1 - Submitted By Greg Hildreth
    Image #2 - Submitted By Brandon Keller
    Image #3 - Submitted By William Miconnect
    Image #4 - Submitted By Dillan Lee
    Image #5 - Submitted By Ben Beckman
    Image #6 - Submitted By Steven Dacus
    Image #7 - Submitted By Stephen Lunsford
    Image #8 - Submitted By Adrien "Aubrey" Marzuola
    Image #9 - Submitted By Tyler Underwood
    Image #10 - Submitted By Michael Clarke

Thanks for voting and thanks to everyone who submitted. Good Luck to All!
    Image #1
    8.45%
    Image #2
    5.63%
    Image #3
    2.82%
    Image #4
    2.82%
    Image #5
    11.27%
    Image #6
    7.04%
    Image #7
    5.63%
    Image #8
    4.23%
    Image #9
    23.94%
    Image #10
    28.17%

The poll is expired.

ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Vote for the December Cover of the AC

I'm partial to the first one, as I like their expression, and the oleo backdrop.
    Mfr,
    Judith Peebles.
    No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
    [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

Nos 1, 5, 7, and 9 are my favorites.
      Michael Semann
      AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

I'll pick 2, 5, 7 and 9...photos you don't really see too much of at events.

Just my humble .02...
        Robert F. Wallace
        38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
        North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Since nobody much seems to be following directions, and actually talking about the images, I'll give it a whirl, concerning image # 9

Think back on the various laundry images you've seen. The most popular ones of hanging laundry are taken from a view point looking down into the laundry yard, the women in somewhat casually dressed. Another popular view shows a laundress surrounded by her tools, staring boldly into the camera-again, less than properly dressed.

Here they are--boldly looking straight at you. Eyes not averted, no ladylike dropped lids here. Hair not covered--no bonnets, barely a hair net among them. Only a few extra clean collars or kerchief either--most are already in the boiling pot. Hands hidden for the most part, to keep from showing the work worn signs. Skirts are kited up to keep them from the water and from the fire.

The reality: This group is on day six of a 7 day set up. Its been raining steadily for the bulk of it, and they are in a valley. Their laundry is real, and its not just theirs, but laundry for the mule skinners, ox drivers, wagoner's lads, brakemen, and outriders that make the wagons roll. In addition to doing laundry, these women are cooking for close to 100 people, and doing animal care. In mud over their ankles. Many are barefooted.

Casual, working images are unusual during the period, civilian or soldier. But when we find them, they draw they eye. I could see these women working all that week, from a nearby hillside. I believe this image may have been the only time they were still.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Congratulations to Michael Clarke for the winning image - The 10th Maine at Antietam by Victorian Photography Studio. As always, thank you so much to everyone who submitted an image and participated in the voting. Some excellent selections again this month.

This thread is officially closed.
            ERIC TIPTON
            Former AC Owner

Comment

Working...
            X