Hard of Hearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard of Hearing

The last few years I have been losing my hearing. Is there any hope to continue in the field or is the GAR the only place from now on?
    Joseph Roman

Re: Hard of Hearing

Join the artillery.
    Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
    Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

I am hearing impaired, but still take the field. I don't know the extent of your hearing loss, but if you can use hearing aids, they'll come in handy. They do have some that are not very visible, but I do always try to turn my head away when spectators try to take pictures.
      Captain Matthew Joe Mallory
      Co E, 35th Alabama Infantry Regiment
      Co E, 73rd Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I need hearing aids in both ears, however when I do reenacting I leave them off along with my glasses. I keep an eye on what the others are doing and am able to follow along. I am not sure what your hearing loss entails so I can't be any more specific.
        Pvt. Rudy Norvelle
        20th Maine Vol Inf Co. G
        Third Brigade, First Divison, Fifth Corps
        Army of the Potomac

Comment

Originally posted by RudyN View Post
          I need hearing aids in both ears, however when I do reenacting I leave them off along with my glasses. I keep an eye on what the others are doing and am able to follow along. I am not sure what your hearing loss entails so I can't be any more specific.
          I had to do this for a few months while my hearing aid was being repaired. It's not easy, but it's doable. Of course, I'm speaking as someone who has worn a hearing aid from an early age, so my experience will differ.
          Captain Matthew Joe Mallory
          Co E, 35th Alabama Infantry Regiment
          Co E, 73rd Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Doing a GAR impression is always an option if you are a little older. I plan to do one myself once I don't feel I can adequately portray the men in the field. If you still want to be on the line however I would do everything I could to preserve the hearing I do have. Stuffing some cotton in your ears or a bit of rag would be better than a modern hearing aid, but this is a health issue, so talk to your doctor and your officers, maybe they can find a position for you that will be less stressful to your ears, but still a part of the event. Who knows, maybe you'll be promoted to staff!
            Matt Borders

Comment

Working...
            X