X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Twenty Authentic Events Since 1999

Friends, Comrades:

In 2019 the AC is commemorating twenty years since our founding by Paul Calloway in 1999. Since we began, there have been many great events by us for us (EBUFU's) as well as adjunct efforts at larger events. To celebrate, we will create a list of the Top Twenty Authentic Events based on your nominations. You may nominate as many events as you like. We will compile the nominations and include the twenty events mentioned the most, here and on social media. Once we have our twenty events, we will publish the Top Twenty EBUFU events since 1999.

So, what were your favorite authentic efforts since 1999? Name as many as you would like. Go!
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 12-11-2019, 08:42 PM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Top Twenty Authentic Events Since 1999

Bermuda Hundred was #1 for me. I also loved Wauhatchie, in spite of the rain and the fact that so many people needed to bail.
    Clifton McCurley ~ Proud to be Awesome

Comment

OK, I'm gonna take my administrator hat off and post my top fifteen in no particular order:

Re-Occupation of Fort Sumter - 2005
      Immortal 600 - 2007
      Shiloh 150th - 2012
      Bummers - 2009 (Full disclosure - I was an organizer for this)
      Rich Mountain - 2006 (Full disclosure - I was an organizer for this)
      A Fighting Withdrawal - 2006
      Picket Post - 2016
      Wauhatchie - 2017
      Bentonville Adjunct - 2015
      Life on the Line - Vicksburg - 2007
      150th Fredericksburg - 2012
      Pickett's Mill - 2004
      Lookout Mountain - 2003
      Prelude to Invasion - 2018
      Assault on Fort Blakeley - 2017
      Last edited by Eric Tipton; 02-02-2019, 12:03 PM.
      ERIC TIPTON
      Former AC Owner

Comment

For me, these three will always have good memories:

Picket’s Mill 2014, in spite of the late evening thunderstorm
        Picket Post, 2016
        Prelude to Invasion, 2018
        Mackenzie Taylor
        Dardanelle, Arkansas

Liberty Rifles, WIG

"At every town and station, citizens and ladies were waving their handkerchiefs and hurrahing for Jeff Davis and the Southern Confederacy" -Sam Watkins, 1st TN, Company H

Comment

2015 Bentonville
          2016 Picket Post
          2017 Lookout Mountain
          2017 Wauhatchie
          2019 Winter Quarters
          Stephen Lunsford

Possum Skinners Mess/Tick Creek Troublemakers

150th Pickett's Mill May 2014-5th Kentucky
          150th Franklin (Carnton Plantation) November 2014-20th Tennessee
          150th Bentonville, March 2015-10th Iowa
          Pea Ridge Adjunct, September 2015-24th Missouri
          Blakeley Living History, April 2016-1st/3rd Missouri CS
          Picket Post, May 2016, Company C, 9th Tennessee "Creek Bank Mess"
          Lookout Mountain Living History, June 2017, 31st Iowa "Root Hog or Die"
          154th Chickamauga Living History, September 2017, Co. C, 23rd Tennessee
          Battle of Wauhatchie (Aka "Wet-hatchie"), Tennessee, October 27-28, 2017, 78th New York "12th Corps!!!"

Comment

In no particular order:

150th Shiloh
            150th Bentonville
            Bummers
            Lost Tribes

Honorable mention: Raymond 1998. Because it started it all for so many.
            Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
            My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

In no order of greatness.
              2004 Franklin
              2007 Banks Grand Retreat
              2009 Lost Tribes (I was organizer)
              2005 Athens
              2013 Vicksburg Living History
              2015 Bentonville

I agree with Bob, Raymond 1998 because it started it all.
              Nathan Hellwig
              AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
              "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Top 11 in no particular order:

To Prevent the Effusion of Blood- 2011
                Shiloh 150th - 2012
                Bummers - 2009
                Picket Post - 2016
                Wauhatchie - 2017
                Bentonville Adjunct - 2015
                Westville- 2010 and 2013
                Pickett's Mill - 2008
                W'64- 2008
                Assault on Fort Blakeley 2017
                Backwaters- 2009
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I believe it may have been nearly 15 years ago, but the Advance Guard was simply a great event.

Comment

OK, I'll bite... :)

2001 Burkittsville
                    2002 Harrison's Landing -- 140th anniversary of "Taps"
                    2003 "War on the James"
                    2004 "Recon III" at Brandy Station
                    2005 McDowell, because we got to go up Sitlington Hill for the first time.
                    2006 "Winter '64" when ink froze on the nibs
                    2006 Rich Mountain, despite myself... :)
                    2008 "Winter '64" the four day expansion kit
                    2008 The Sixth Corps March, because heat exhaustion is authentic...
                    2008 Picket Post in Avella Pa., even though I didn't know much Norwegian
                    2010 "In the Van" and learning that oxen and mules are smarter than we are
                    2010 Westville
                    2012 Shiloh steamboat adjunct
                    2012 A.P. Hill March, followed by costume change and 11th PA Reserves adjunct at MMM
                    2012 150th Unison
                    2015 Bentonville adjunct
                    2018 Averell's Advance

What a long strange trip it's been...
                    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Eric, this is a great thread and kudos to you for starting it.

My list will be similar to some of the others, with a few additions from the “old days” and experienced from the vantage point of the mounted impression. Some that have been mentioned that I will echo:

Bummers
                      Picketts Mill – 2004 & 2008
                      Westville 2013
                      Shiloh 150th
                      Raymond 1998

Also, let me mention these as stellar events:

Outpost 2000 (North Georgia)
                      Outpost (I think 2006, but was held behind Rippavilla in Spring Hill, TN.)
                      Perilous Times in South Union (2011 at Shaker Village)
                      School of the Trooper – Carnton Plantation 2011 (watershed event and was well supported by many of the authentic infantry community)
                      “Withdrawal from Ft. Donelson” 2012

Additionally, I want to thank a few of the “old members” who invited those of us of the mounted persuasion to attend many of these events and who supported all efforts for authenticity. Thanks to: Matt Woodburn, Art Milbert, Patrick Craddock, Kiev Thomason, Jerry Hughes, Coley Adair, Guy Musgrove, Jerry Ross and many, many others……..

Thanks,
                      Mark
                      J. Mark Choate
                      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Wauhatchie gets my vote for number one because it challenged many of the field skills that I had learned through the years. Rather than thinking about leaving the event, I thought of ways to make our situation better using real solutions. This event challenged my fire building skills, ration cooking skills, my keeping everything dry skills (or at least attempting) and keeping everyone's spirits up. Sometimes, it really sucked, but I learned from it and do not regret it one bit. Also, 155th A.P. Hill march was pretty cool.
                        Coty Robbins

Comment

Hmmm....

2001/2002 - 105th OVI efforts at Perryville: These were the original A-C "Evangelists of Authenticity" events! At the check-in point for the vent, we were digging through haversacks getting rid of anything modern , hand-stitching guys' buttonholes, and generally getting men squared away. In the 2002 version, as we went in inverted, I took a hit, but underplayed it... this led several to think I had actually been hurt, which had the interesting effect of actually snapping minds into the reality of what we were only playing at.

Every event we ever did at Shaker Village. ...except for Paul breaking his leg.

Hodge march, 2000 - Hiking with Ed Bearss!

2001 - 140th Manassas - We recreated the LHV to the man! I portrayed Sgt. Wm. Anderson and called the original roll of the company. Prior to the event, we went to Washington and Lee, where I was able to hold Sgt Anderson's rollbook, saw his grave, and camped at the ruins of Liberty Hall Academy. The original colors of the LHV have since been identified and are on display at a museum in Charleston, WV.

Gaines Mill NPS LH 2004 - TEXAS! Is this us here? ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJNKicUF058
                          I think this was my first event with the SG and first with time meeting Ivan.

SG Picket Post, 2004 (How Chris Daley spent his 10th wedding anniversary)

Rippavilla picket post (07??) - The AC's "Mobile Ban Van" and Paul Calloway's last hurrah!

Avella Picket Post... Hey, Schnapps! Is this the one you were talking about? Stiles & Co were the CS side. Benedict Von Bremen rode out with me from Hoosierdom for the event.

2nd Manassas NPS LH (Twenty Ought Sumpthin') - Louisiana impression

Lost Tribes, 2009 - I learned to sleep anywhere; RIP to Eric Fair's Ubbenpipe

Franklin LH, 2009 - My first time back to Franklin since the 125th. I attended at the last minute for some much needed time with pards!

Chmelarpalooza I and II in Southern Wisconsin - "Holler goes Reb"; "Was that a whooping crane, or did a horse just break its leg!?"; I think it was the second edition of this event where I saw Brandon Jolly for the first time since he left the army. Dang, Brandon! I've known you for over twenty years now! ...since you were just a kid!!

Shiloh 150th! Loved everything about this event!

Bermuda Hundred

Bentonville 150... For very personal reasons, this will always be a favorite!!

40 Rounds 2016 LBL Picket Post - "There's a snake in my boot" (I hate you, Huck!). Meeting between the lines withe the Rebs on Saturday night was a hobby career highlight for me!

2018 - LR's "Prelude to Invasion" - What eastern Confederate camps REALLY looked like!; Holy canvas, Batman! Great drill! Susnis, those biscuits rocked!
                          Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 02-04-2019, 08:58 AM.
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger
                          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

My list will be colored by the fact that my attendance at events has been rather curtailed in recent history. Also, I'm old and terrible at remembering what year events were held in. In no particular order:

Shiloh 150th: The Grand Adventure
                            Athens (not sure of the year? I'll go with Holler's 2005? Anyway, it wasn't much different from others on the Home Guard side, but I'm thinking of the year of the big effort on the State Guard side.)
                            150th Vicksburg NPS LH
                            Lost Tribes
                            Lookout Mountain NPS LH 2017 (organizer)
                            Bentonville 150th 10th Iowa
                            Wilson's Creek NPS LH (Hairy Nation and Holmes Brigade, do not know the year)
                            Perryville 2016
                            TAG

As others have said, though it falls just out of the purview of this, Raymond 1998 will always be THE event for me.
                            Last edited by Arch Campbell; 02-04-2019, 12:31 PM. Reason: Poor memory!
                            Arch Campbell
                            Hairy Nation
                            Loyal Union League
                            Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                              Hmmm....

2001/2002 - 105th OVI efforts at Perryville: These were the original A-C "Evangelists of Authenticity" events! At the check-in point for the vent, we were digging through haversacks getting rid of anything modern , hand-stitching guys' buttonholes, and generally getting men squared away. In the 2002 version, as we went in inverted, I took a hit, but underplayed it... this led several to think I had actually been hurt, which had the interesting effect of actually snapping minds into the reality of what we were only playing at.

Every event we ever did at Shaker Village. ...except for Paul breaking his leg.

Hodge march, 2000 - Hiking with Ed Bearss!

2001 - 140th Manassas - We recreated the LHV to the man! I portrayed Sgt. Wm. Anderson and called the original roll of the company. Prior to the event, we went to Washington and Lee, where I was able to hold Sgt Anderson's rollbook, saw his grave, and camped at the ruins of Liberty Hall Academy. The original colors of the LHV have since been identified and are on display at a museum in Charleston, WV.

Gaines Mill NPS LH 2004 - TEXAS! Is this us here? ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJNKicUF058
                              I think this was my first event with the SG and first with time meeting Ivan.

SG Picket Post, 2004 (How Chris Daley spent his 10th wedding anniversary)

Rippavilla picket post (07??) - The AC's "Mobile Ban Van" and Paul Calloway's last hurrah!

Avella Picket Post... Hey, Schnapps! Is this the one you were talking about? Stiles & Co were the CS side. Benedict Von Bremen rode out with me from Hoosierdom for the event.

2nd Manassas NPS LH (Twenty Ought Sumpthin') - Louisiana impression

Lost Tribes, 2009 - I learned to sleep anywhere; RIP to Eric Fair's Ubbenpipe

Franklin LH, 2009 - My first time back to Franklin since the 125th. I attended at the last minute for some much needed time with pards!

Chmelarpalooza I and II in Southern Wisconsin - "Holler goes Reb"; "Was that a whooping crane, or did a horse just break its leg!?"; I think it was the second edition of this event where I saw Brandon Jolly for the first time since he left the army. Dang, Brandon! I've known you for over twenty years now! ...since you were just a kid!!

Shiloh 150th! Loved everything about this event!

Bermuda Hundred

Bentonville 150... For very personal reasons, this will always be a favorite!!

40 Rounds 2016 LBL Picket Post - "There's a snake in my boot" (I hate you, Huck!). Meeting between the lines withe the Rebs on Saturday night was a hobby career highlight for me!

2018 - LR's "Prelude to Invasion" - What eastern Confederate camps REALLY looked like!; Holy canvas, Batman! Great drill! Susnis, those biscuits rocked!
                              Yes, Avella was the one, and the title of the AAR was stolen from Aeschylus: "Seven Against Sleep."

And I heartily second your feelings about the 150th Bentonville; that was my personal favorite, too, though for my own reasons.
                              Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
                              X