Grey Hair re-visited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grey Hair re-visited

Well, this is the way I deal with 'old father time'..I do dye and to me thats no different than putting yer best foot foward at any time!...do ya wash yer hair? yerself? do ya comb yer hair? "God" might have imtended this er that but basic care he left up to us, just as there was no "commandment" that 'thou shalt wash yer nasty hair and body":D there is also none concerning 'the paint" on yer bodily 'vehicle'.( I always heard every old barn needs painting now and then).Im not one to put on airs ect, maybe Im using this re-en 'acting' as a vain excuse?..but after awhile, well I just didnt look right! and after all, this is historical 'acting' so- I did what hollyweird would..no it doesnt drip, run er rub off on yer dancing partner, NO ya wont look like Ronald Reagan if ya follow directions, mine looks a wee bit too dark ar first but after a week its dead on, and "only my hairdresser knows fer sure" ( know who remembers that old commercial?) and YES Id be in mental trouble if I thought it made me really 'younger' but for right now it works...now if I could find a body transplant...:D
    Gary Mitchell
    2nd Va. Cavalry Co. C
    Stuart's horse artillery

Comment

Hair?

I vaguely remember having hair cover this bald noggin. ;)
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Exactly Mr. Heath! The hair line is no longer receeding...it is in full retreat!
        I also remember the balentine beer jingle from TV.
        But I think there is a catagory missing from the poll:
        -I don't dye (Because I don't care what others think!)
        There were grey soldiers. Are we heading toward field fashion shows runway and all? I guess we will soon need a civil war professional model magazine!

We will know that the impressions mean nothing, research and documentation were a waste of time and our past has gone to h**l in a hand basket when, God help us the general public starts asking "Say, you fellers wasn't really in the war wuz ya?" Talk about a lost cause......
        Karl Feldmeyer

Comment

Charoles, the Lawd is jus clearin graon fo a nu face whin de hare be lebin you haid !

Field logic applied to balding
          See you at Outpost !
          Dennis Neal
          "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
          David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
          Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
          [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
          J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Originally posted by Karl F View Post
            ...Are we heading toward field fashion shows runway and all? I guess we will soon need a civil war professional model magazine...
            Karl -

Huh? Have you read all the discussions on the AC - and I don't mean just a few - on correct hats, how to fold the brims, proper jean wool, fabric weave and thread count, homespun, socks, and underwear. If that's not "field fashion," what is?

We are already there, my friend.

btw going bald (even if you you have to shave it off) is a pretty good option. More manly I'd say.

- Dan Wykes
            Danny Wykes

Comment

When I shared my recent ambrotype with an old pard (from the bicentennial!) he commented that it was nice to see me in "an age appropriate impression." Meanwhile, my daughter thinks I'm trying to look like "that dead guy" Col. Horatio Van Cleve, the first commander of the Second Minnesota Volunteers! I have a bit more gray to go before getting that impression right.

Jim Moffet
              1st Minnesota, Co. A
              Western Brigade
              Attached Files

Comment

Charoles, the Lawd is jus clearin graon fo a nu face whin de hare be lebin you haid !--Dennis Neal

Dennis,

Are you sure your not from Jena, LA?

Comment

For men w/ grey hair there is a a very, very, specialized impression: the 37th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, The "Greybeard Regiment"

Special authority was obtained from the Secretary of War to organize one regiment, composed of men who were over forty-five years of age, but who were in good physical condition, and therefore able to perform the duty of soldiers. It was understood, however, that the regiment was to be assigned to guard and garrison duty, and was not to be put upon active service in the field, except in the event of an emergency that would justify its being ordered to perform such service.¹

¹ Report of Adjutant General of Iowa, 1863, Vol. 2, page 756 Extract from General Order No. 89:

Ages of the recruits...
                  Almost 600 were in their 50s
                  48 were in their 60s
                  9 were in their 70s
                  Curtis King, age 80, was the oldest.

When it was mustered, however, the Col., George Kincaid, did enlist some recruits that were under the age of 45., including almost 100 underage boys.

They served in a variety of different posts in the western theater, in garrison duty, guarding prisoners and serving as guards on trains.

Two sources for more information...

The Historical Sketch (primary source) from the Roster and Record of Iowa Soldiers

An article from historynet dot com about the regiment and its eccentric and not-so-competent Col.

Jim Wolf
                  Scott's Tennessee Battery
                  Huntley Camp #114, Dept. of Iowa, SUVCW
                  Jim Wolf
                  Scotts Tennessee Battery CSA
                  20th Iowa Infantry (SVR-SUVCW)

Comment

I have a lot of gray and do not try and dye it. If I did I still wouldn't look like a younger soldier, so it wouldn't help. I exercise regularly, eat sensibly (most of the time), and constantly try to improve my reenacting kit. These are things I can control and I think this greatly contributes to my impression. When I get to a point where I can't accurately portray a period soldier I'll look for other ways to stay engaged with the hobby.

My son couldn't get me to join a WWII reenacting unit, because I feel, at my age, I couldn't give an accurate representation of an army private. Fortunately, I think I have some years before I have to hang up my brogans,

John Winkler
                    Alamo Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by aetius123 View Post
                      I have a lot of gray and do not try and dye it. If I did I still wouldn't look like a younger soldier...John Winkler Alamo Rifles
                      John -

Hmm...compare the attached.

-Dan Wykes
                      Last edited by Danny; 05-25-2008, 11:53 PM.
                      Danny Wykes

Comment

I always thought if someone has gray hair and beard, and wants to look younger, they should shave off the beard. Reduce the amount of gray hair showing.

Going clean shaving is not so bad.

I also know people who use dye, and for the most part, it makes them feel more authentic when no gray hair is showing. (On some individuals, I would have to agree). Of course, this is nothing more than personal preference.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                        Cincinnati

Comment

Hey Danny,
                          Why don't you just go of and dye your hair if that's what you really want to do. It seems that you are looking for some type of justification for wanting to do it. If not mistaken, did you not also come up with the poll on how many reenact with racist thoughts and leanings in mind?? Thanks.
                          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
                            Hey Danny,
                            Why don't you just go of and dye your hair if that's what you really want to do. It seems that you are looking for some type of justification for wanting to do it. If not mistaken, did you not also come up with the poll on how many reenact with racist thoughts and leanings in mind?? Thanks.
                            Tom -

OK, let's not dye our hair then, and never mind. I already said I personally thought bald a good way to go. You made some good points earlier. Let's shake on it and we'll call it a day.

But you can't dis me. I'll call you on that one. "Racist" was never mentioned in the other thread and you bring it up for the first time here. If your intent was to kill this thread, then you just got 'er done, friend. No thanks.

- Dan Wykes
                            Danny Wykes

Comment

Hello,
                              Not blatantly the term "racist" but the overtones of the poll were regarding how many were still fighting the War, how many still harbored period attitudes and overtones...the words were not exact but the gist was there, and in reading the posting to that I think that's exactly what the members picked up on. No hard feelings...thanks.
                              Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                              Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                              Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                              Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                              KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

PARDS.
                                i reckon the war would have made a lot of boys grey!
                                just live with what you have been blessed with.

bill brown
                                capt 43rd NC (U.K.)
                                W.S. MESS
                                WILLIAM BROWN

Comment

Working...
                                X