Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammunition

Folks,

At any number of events, especially living histories, where ammunition is collected for issue for demos, it isn't always returned to the original owner, or returned at all. For a lot of participants, once the tagged Ziplock bag goes into the big red metal box, it is likely gone forever. Most people don't like to see a couple of arsenal packs go away in this manner.

This brings us to a pair of events in the 2008 season, and the thought occurs to me that this sort of ammunition loss can be turned around. To take that one step further, it beggars the question of whether or not a person would be willing to have ammunition collected at one event to be repackaged and issued at a future undertaking.

It's possible.
    Yes, as we rarely do ammunition issues anymore.
    20.74%
    No, as I never get issued back decent ammunition when I contribute rounds.
    50.37%
    Undecided.
    22.22%
    I don't understand the question.
    6.67%

The poll is expired.

[B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Re: Ammunition

Charles, the one thing I dont like about ammunition issuing is one thing you stated in the pole. There are some out there that dont put as much effort into rounds as others. An example of this was at BGR, some of the rounds I had gotten issued were obviously paper lady type cartridges. Another thing is what some use for the "bullet" in their cartridge. In the rounds I make I use toilet paper as the "bullet". I have been issued rounds that had a cotton ball as the bullet. This caused problems of getting stuck halfway down the barrel when ramming.
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Comment

What Dan said!
      Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
      John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

I agree with the above statements...perhaps at an event that wants issue ammunition, we should pay an extra fee and have all the ammunition bought at one of the authentic commercial makers and then everyone will have the same.
        Marc Riddell
        1st Minnesota Co D
        2nd USSS Company C
        Potomac Legion

Comment

For the "A Wood Gathering Detail" event the MOOCOWS Stearage Committee rolled four or five thousand rounds and did an ammunition issue (we also built ammo boxes that were used for firewood once empty). Not the most beautiful rounds I've seen but they all matched. In my experience the re-issue of turned in rounds scenerio usually either results in having to look for names written on the packs as you hand them out or the aforementioned problem of turning in quality rounds and being issued crap in return.
          John Duffer
          Independence Mess
          MOOCOWS
          WIG
          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

The other phenomena that plays here is more folks appear to be opting to fly to events and of course we can't bring rounds, so must beg, borrow or get a blackpowder license to ship ahead. I am rapidly accummulating arsenal packs around the country and this plan would make life easier at those events where I am toting a gun. I just have a comrade bring the rounds I have stored up and they go into the pool. As long as I get some for each event, I don't care where they go. Big thumbs up.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I was fortunate as I had gotten in on the bulk buy from Watson by Bill Treadway for BGR.It was my experience that I got issued the same type of rounds that I had contributed to the ammo box on the Confederate side.
              I would echo that if this was to be done then one source for ammo should be selected,to prevent the problems listed previously.
              Forrest Peterson

Tater Mess
              Tater Mess Social Orchestra
              Missourah Shirkers

Comment

One thing that can be done (I have done this in the past) is mark the arsenal packs so that they are issued to the person who made them. I was at one event where someone was obviously having their first experience with arsenal packs and the look on his face when he poured caps down the barrel was priceless.Fortunately he noticed as did the corporal next to him and the guy in the rank behind him.
                Robert Collett
                8th FL / 13th IN
                Armory Guards
                WIG

Comment

Ammunition issue.. No.

Never get anything good back

Comment

The short answer to ammo issue for events being used for other events is should be no. A lot of the better groups have this aspect down to a science as they issue out rounds (made by folks in their own group) as needed to folks for whatever bigger events they go to. The excess is taken care of as needed by either selling it off to others who don't have any or re-cycling it for future use. Not too long ago I attended an event where I manufactured close to 2,000 rounds for issue to both Confederates & Federals from issue crates, but unlike what Mr. Duffer did they did not end up as firewood (I spent too much time putting them together to let that happen). Most of the groups that I attend events with will have one event per year where an ammo issue is done on some scale. It all depends upon the event itself & whether or not there is time to perform this aspect of soldier life. Sometimes it is not necessary and other times it would be a great addition to do so. Also, as far as the NPS is concerned, it is up to the park itself as to whether or not close to period style rounds may be used. I know that such parks as Harpers Ferry for example always issue you their made-up rounds whereas parks like Chickamauga amongst others let you use whatever rounds you brought to the event as seen by the excellent WIG LH done this September past. As far as the rammer issue goes, well, it's been years for me at least since I've been to an event where I did not use my rammer. And the last time I was witness to a rammer getting shot out of a musket was at the 125th battle reenactment of South Mountain way back in 1987! So basically, so long as the person has a working cerebellum and is mindful of his place rammers shouldn't be a problem. Take care all.
                    [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Brian, that reminds me we did have an ammunition preparation and issue session at the COI this season, but those were live rounds. One of our pet Rhode Islanders shot well that day, although some believe most everyone was shooting at his target. Well done.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

I have been to a few events where period looking was issued out of the box. Good times! It added "that little something" to the event. Now most of the time the groups I reenact with just have everyone bring their own rounds. Yes there are differences with each round, but they are generally similar.

This past weekend at Outpost, Corbin's A-Team company but their extra ammuntion in an ammo box. The funny thing is that we realized that we could not find the supply wagon to haul the box so Sgt Mitchell and I re opened the sealed box and issued the extra ammo to the men to carry.

Yes there were proper procedures to follow, but we had to improvise. Hey didn't that happen during the ACW? It was annoying as all, but an acutally funny "moment" for me.

As for rammers and safety issues. Pretty much the only time I am not allowed to use a rammer is at mainstream events. I've been reenacting for 10 years now and I've never seen any problems with using a rammer. The officers and NCOs that I have reenacted with are always watching the men in the ranks, it never fails. But then again I do not go to many mainstream events where this might be a problem. It seems that a vast majority of Campaigners who attend the events solicited on this website have a clue how to use thier musket in a safe and efficient manner.

I honestly do not understand the fear of using a rammer.
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

Charles:

Are you thinking what I am thinking?

By the way... I had the November 16, 2007 square. What do I get?:D
                          Ley Watson
                          POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by ley74 View Post
                            Are you thinking what I am thinking?
                            I'm thinking the little mule can swim pretty darn good on her own, but not quite as well with three lead-lined ammunition boxes on her back. We'll have to convince her the Land of Tasty Apples and Carrots is on the far bank of that swamp.

Just sayin'.
                            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Every time I turn in properly constructed packs, I get back crappy paper ladies. No, I hate it. It's like the lottery, always a no win proposition caused by lazyness or, do we need to have everyone's rounds pass at the pre event registration inspection?
                              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                              Past President Potomac Legion
                              Long time member Columbia Rifles
                              Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X