X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote For the December Cover

Greetings:

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays to all as we enter December.

It is time to vote for the December Cover of the Authentic Campaigner. Please vote for the image that you feel is the most authentic. If your image is one of the final three, we are requiring that you provide some background information about the inspiration or impression for the image in this thread.

We encourage conversation about the impressions portrayed as well as any documentation that might be available that would add to the discussion. The intent of the selection process is to determine why you think one image is superior to another.

Image #1 - Click here to view.
    Image #2 - Click here to view.
    Image #3 - Click here to view.

Thanks to everyone who submitted. Good luck to the finalists.

This poll will close in four days.
    Image #1
    78.59%
    Image #2
    8.80%
    Image #3
    12.61%

The poll is expired.

ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Vote For the December Cover

I like them all, but I got to go with #1.
    Doug Ranson

Button Hat Boys
    Jaunty Bunch
    Cumberland River Legion
    3rd Batt USV

Comment

Background on Image #1:

Members of the Hardtack Society and Liberty Rifles at Old Bedford Village, Bedford, PA. Photo taken by Terry Whittington, July 2006

About once or twice a year, the members of these groups go to Old Bedford Village and volunteer their time to the improvement of the houses there. That particular summer, members ripped up an existing porch and its supports, then redid the entire structural system and relaid new planks. All work was done with period tools and hardware, and completed in about a day and a half in rather hot and humid conditions. Roger, the owner and shown second from left, always appreciates the time and effort we put into restoring the houses.
      Last edited by PieBoy96; 11-25-2007, 08:38 PM.
      Paul Boccadoro
      Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Background on image #3

Instead of a professional stage banjo player, I was going for the non-professional impression. Dressed in worker's clothes instead of a suit, messed up hair, and the ever important piece of the banjo player's equipment (next to the banjo)... the jug. It's an earlier style banjo: tack head, swell neck. It's something made by a furniture maker or carpenter, not something new and fancy like a Boucher that was factory made.

When I had this image made, I was thinking along the lines of the images you see of the miners from the '40s and '50s that really didn't "slick-up" too much to have their image made (look through the book Silver & Gold to see what I'm referring to).

Image by Wendell Decker @ Perryville on the Farm 2007
        Last edited by Amtmann; 11-25-2007, 09:37 PM. Reason: Add photo Credit
        Rick Bailey
        Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

I like the rugged look of image number three. It looks like a working man enjoying the downtime.
          The picture looks good Rick
          [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

The Hardtack Society photo is outstanding and gets my vote.
            Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Greetings all,
              I must say that I find all three finalists to be superb images. I like image 1 the best though because it is not an in studio image. I personally like pictures that are more of a natural setting because I can "put myself in it" and explore the setting in my mind. Its something sorely lacking in todays society-imagination. (Seems to be doing just fine with our set though!)
              My best Regards,
              Kevin Schoepfel
              140th NYVI

Comment

We are too rarely in the position to have an image to the scale of #1. Assembling that much quality together and placing it in a believable setting wins it my vote. The large group and setting give the photo a deep authenticity, a believability, that sets it apart.
                [FONT=Garamond]Patrick A. Lewis
                [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/"]bullyforbragg.blogspot.com[/URL]

"Battles belong to finite moments in history, to the societies which raise the armies which fight them, to the economies and technologies which those societies sustain. Battle is a historical subject, whose nature and trend of development can only be understood down a long historical perspective.”
                [/FONT]

Comment

As a woodworker, image 1 gets my vote. The scene really opens itself to exploration- to see what kinds of little things you can pick out. Awesome one, guys.
                  Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                  WIG/GVB
                  In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

I'm with Chris on this one.
                    Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
                    Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
                    Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

Image number 3 is the best, because you know, there is no music like the old banjo.
                      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
                      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Hey Rick,
                        Should we stop the suffering and throw in the towel now? ...or do we expect a REALLY strong finish in a couple of days? :tounge_sm

No. 1 is a FANTASTIC photo. It is my personal favorite this month, also. Great depth and a fantastic period “feel.” If I didn’t recognize Speedy, this is one that I think would have passed by me as an original.
                        PATRICK CRADDOCK
                        Prometheus No. 851
                        Franklin, Tennessee
                        Widows' Sons Mess
                        www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Cast my vote for #1 - great civilian image struck.

nastt
                          Michael Farnsley
                          aka Thomas Nast

Comment

Pat,
                            Here I thought I had something out of the usual. I'm trying to remember how many string musician images have been submitted. ;)
                            Rick Bailey
                            Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

It is nice to see a majority of civilian images again. Bedford Village is great site if anyone ever has a chance to visit and certainly makes a wonderful backdrop for image #1. I also like the variety of hats.

Kace
                              Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
                              7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

Working...
                              X