X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna Be on the January Cover?

Greetings:

Merry Christmas Everyone! It is time to search for the January 2008 Cover of the Authentic Campaigner.

We are looking for images that best-exemplify the look of the authentic living historian. Images taken with period technology only, please. (wet plate, etc.) are required. We will also accept pencil, paint or similiar sketches done in the field (again, the image must have been done with period technology only).

Submission Guidelines:

1) If you have submitted an image within the last six months, do not re-submit the image. We will not accept images that have been submitted within the last six months.

2) We will accept the first ten image submissions only. The thread will be closed after the tenth image is submitted, and any images submitted after the tenth will be deleted from the thread.

3) Once we have ten images, the staff will select the final three. The final three will then be put up for a general vote to the membership of the forum. The winning image will be placed on the front "cover" of the web site for one month.

4) Make sure and attach the photo to your post. If necessary, we will crop the photo for the best fit.

5) The Moderators/Administrators reserve the right to remove any submittals that they feel don't meet the standards of the Authentic Campaigner.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Wanna Be on the January Cover?

I'll start out. First the modern day information- This is Chuck Warnick (former Commander of the First Federal Division, former Commander of the Western Brigade, and more recently the Artillery instructor for the WIG at the Fort Granger Living History, but more importantly- my girlfriend's Father) and myself taken the day after Thanksgiving this year. We made the short drive from Spring Hill to the Carter House and had this image taken by Wendell Decker.

The image is a Union General accompanied by a member of his Staff. This was the last image Chuck had taken before he donated his General uniform to the Mill Springs Battlefield Museum for use in their George H. Thomas display.
    Attached Files
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Here is an image of James Weighton of the Horse Hair Mess taken by Steve Ingram at Wauconda, Illinois. This image is based off of the famous image of a federal cavalry at Antietam just after the battle.
      Attached Files
      Dan Chmelar
      Semper Fi
      -ONV
      -WIG
      -CIR!

Comment

This image was taken by Wendell Decker, at Ressaca, Ga. 2007.

By brianhicks at 2007-12-22
        Last edited by BrianHicks; 12-22-2007, 08:11 PM.
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

20th Conn. wagon guards at Mariposa California by William Dunniway circa 1995

Edward Parrott
          Edward Anthony Parrott
          "Humbug"

Comment

I'm not sure if you can submit more than one image, or if thats bad form. If it is bad form mod's please delete this post. This is an image of my pard Carl Clink and myself taken in 1982 or 1983 I cannot remember now. It is a tintype and it was taken by a fellow visitng from "back east", I'm not sure who the artisit was. Just thought I'd post an older image of a couple of guys trying to do it 'right' with what we knew at the time.

Edward Parrott
            Edward Anthony Parrott
            "Humbug"

Comment

My dad and I at Cedar Creek '07

Taken by Rob Szabo.
              Attached Files
              Patrick Rooney

Comment

Devin Miller and I taken by Wendel Decker at Mill Springs this year.
                Attached Files
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

This image was taken of myself and my son, Caleb at Missionary Ridge in November. Image is entitled "reunion" as it was Caleb and I's first full weekend together since returning from a 15 month deployment. Image was taken by Wendall Decker.-ELI GEERY
                  Attached Files
                  -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
                  "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
                  "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
                  "The Bully Boys"
                  "The Hard Case Boys"
                  "The Independant Mess"
                  29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
                  3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

Photo of brothers in arms:
                    Gregory S Barnett and Christopher S Barnett
                    Ferrotype taken in Greene County TN at Blue Springs by Wendell Decker Oct 2007

This photo was taken in memory of our great-great grandfather Levi W Barnett and his brother John, who fought together with the 64th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry.
                    Levi escaped capture at Cumberland Gap on 3 August 1863. John was captured and taken to Camp Douglas, where he died in 1864. John is listed as Confederate dead on the memorial at Oak Woods. The Confederate Mound at Oak Woods is the largest Confederate burial ground in all the North.
                    Attached Files
                    Greg S Barnett
                    Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Medicine Show by the Allendale Melodians complete with a real Indian. ;)

Perryville '07. Image by Wendell Decker.

(Let me know if I need to attach a better scan).
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Amtmann; 12-23-2007, 12:02 AM. Reason: Added text.
                      Rick Bailey
                      Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

I'll take two bottles of what ever the Melodians is pitchin', and I want to shake the Indians hand! First rate image!

Edward Parrott
                        Edward Anthony Parrott
                        "Humbug"

Comment

We redid a picture of two confederate musicians found of page 226 of the Confederate Echoes of Glory

Fife: Patrick Rooney
                          Drum: Gerry McGowan

taken by Rob Gibson and Gibson Studios in Gettysburg
                          Attached Files
                          Gerry McGowan

R.I.P. Crpl. Christian Shoemaker. 98th PVI Co. A

Comment

WOW! So many good images! I anxious to see what 3 the high privates pick! I know already know which one I'm voting for! I'm positive it will be selected!

Originally posted by Pvt Peck View Post
                            I'll take two bottles of what ever the Melodians is pitchin', and I want to shake the Indians hand! First rate image!
                            I'll take 2 bottles of "Wahoo Bitters" too!

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                            I'll start out. First the modern day information- This is Chuck Warnick (former Commander of the First Federal Division, former Commander of the Western Brigade, and more recently the Artillery instructor for the WIG at the Fort Granger Living History, but more importantly- my girlfriend's Father) and myself taken the day after Thanksgiving this year
                            Pat, good image! Tell Chuck and Carolyn Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Mike Phillips from way back before his First Federal Division C.O. and art'y days when we were in Co E, 14th Indiana Vols! Does he have contacts with anybody else from the old Company (Tom, Terry, Mickey, Ron, Jimmy, Rick, Walt and son)?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
                            Last edited by Prodical Reb; 12-23-2007, 09:19 AM. Reason: grammar correction
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                            Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                            Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                            Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                            The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I second that WOW! This has got to be the best group of submittals yet. Good luck selection commitee. It's probably going to come down to a hanging chad on this one. Hey Eric, any thought of creating an additional gallery in the Civil War Photos forum of all the worthy images submitted that didn't win?
                              David Parent

The Cracker Mess
                              MLK Mess
                              Black Hat Boys
                              WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Working...
                              X