X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote For the January Cover of the AC

Greetings:

Happy New Year to Everyone! Only four days left in good old 2007.

It is time to vote for the January Cover of the Authentic Campaigner. Please vote for the image that you feel is the most authentic. If your image is one of the final three, we require that you provide some background information about the inspiration or impression for the image in this thread.

We encourage conversation about the impressions portrayed as well as any documentation that might be available that would add to the discussion. The intent of the selection process is to determine why you think one image is superior to another.

Image #1 - Click here to view.
    Image #2 - Click here to view.
    Image #3 - Click here to view.

Thanks to everyone who submitted. Good luck to the finalists.

This poll will close in four days.
    Image #1
    26.22%
    Image #2
    25.87%
    Image #3
    47.90%

The poll is expired.

ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Vote For the January Cover of the AC

This was a hard one!all the pics were awesome !my vote goes for image #1 because it is rare that i have seen a cover equine related .however image #3 is dear to my heart as it reminds me of the perryville battlefield and how much is being done there to preserve the site and put on quality events .thanks
    Last edited by Russell Huffman; 12-27-2007, 06:43 PM.
    Russell Huffman
    1st kentucky cavalry & horse artillery
    Co.B (Postillion & outrider )

Comment

Very tough decision, but I had to throw in with No. 3!

Wanted to add some actual feedback here...

No. 1.) Fantastic. Reminds me a lot of the original image posted during the initial selection process, and another of a soldier wearing a knit shirt holding the reigns of an officer's horse. At first the short grass threw me off a little but the well-kept grounds of Camp Nelson sprung to mind! This one screams "trooper in garrison" to me.

No. 2.) This is also great, and gives me some nostalgia. Why? Because I've spent 6 hours or more at a time scrutinizing original images like this one, namely of soldiers posed during the Petersburg campaign and in their '63-'64 winter quarters! I like the simple composition and at first glance this could be a nicely done original, in my opinion.

No. 3.) What can I really say about a group of minstrels entertaining what appears to be a bunch of young women, while helping advertise some kind of fraudulent bottled liquid??? I guess I can say that much at least! This one reminds me a lot of the small handful of wartime "camp entertainers" images I've seen; somewhat dark, not exactly clear, and a little motion blur here and there. Shazaam!
      Last edited by GreencoatCross; 12-27-2007, 06:53 PM. Reason: Added explainations
      Brian White
      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

We would like to hear from those who submitted the final three images. That I am aware of, at least one of them was inspired by an actual period image.

Yep, tough choice this month. The final three are all good... but only one can make the cover. So, which will be the first cover of the New Year? :D
        ERIC TIPTON
        Former AC Owner

Comment

#1 has my vote as it is deadon in my book.#3 was very interesting as well .They looked very similar to a group that played at our Fraternity parties when I was in college.Kidding aside all 14 were really great.Being a sentimental Irishman I really liked that Father-Son shot.Keep up the quality work and happy New Year to all!
          Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Per Eric's request here is the background on image #2. We were going to have an image done by Bill Dunniway and noticed the wagon near by at the last minute, we asked Bill if he would shoot us around it rather than the original group pose we had planned. I always loved the period images with a great depth of field to them, showing detail in the far distance blurry and out of focus. We hoped to get some of the background detail in. It came out much better than we thought it would as the wagon was on a ridge overlooking the event site. We were a bit inspired by the pics taken from high ground of the A of P camps at Harrisons Landing. If I could retake this again I might alter the way a few of us were standing, but for the most part it achives what we were after. We just posed rather quickly and Bill took the shot. Sadly this group of pards is scattered to the four winds now.

Now on to the other images, I really like #1, I knew what they were going for as soon as I saw it. I just wish they had had a wider background to work with. I would have loved to see the trees blurry I guess, great image though!

Image #3 I LOVE! I will be voting for Wahoo bitters! I love the tree way off in the distance, and the depth of field with the figures in the foreground, just a neat fun image. Great job. Now that I've voted for you I expect my case of the Bitters to arrive any day via Adams Express.

All the images submitted this month were first rate. I like Mr. Decker's carpet!

Mods, thanks for choosing the 20th's image for this group, it is indeed an honor.

Edward Parrott
            Proudly a former member of the 20th CVI
            Edward Anthony Parrott
            "Humbug"

Comment

I love #2 though. The guy in the vest looks like he just stepped out of the 1800's
              Last edited by Emmanuel Dabney; 12-28-2007, 08:57 AM. Reason: Keep it constructive!
              Patrick Rooney

Comment

Image #3

We were asked to do a Medicine Show for Perryville this past year instead of our usual Entertainment offered within the Mockingbird Theater. The Show was something that Rick Musselman was in charge of in the past but he wasn't with us that weekend.

We represented a travelling Medicine Show of the period along with Musical Interludes. The Show even included an Indian Chief to provide testimony of the validity of the products offered for sale.

The people in the image (L to R) Phillipa Burgess - drum & original 1850s melodian, Chris Propes - banjo, Bill Gay - banjo, Steve Bowling - Medicine Hawker, Rick Bailey (me) - Indian Chief (yes, I do have enough Indian lineage), "Winky" Allee - bones. Mark Simpson is the spectator that figured he needed to be in the image too. ;)

Another great Image by Wendell Decker (our official photographer).
                Last edited by Amtmann; 12-27-2007, 10:17 PM.
                Rick Bailey
                Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Originally posted by Amtmann
                  Mark Simpson is the spectator that figured he needed to be in the image too. ;)
                  I note that Mr. Simpson has his cup out for yet another sample of Wahoo Indian Tonic. This means that Mrs. Simpson is just out of range of Mr Decker's camera, broom held high, and on the downswing :D
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                  Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

That freshly mowed lawn in Image #1 doesn't do it for me, even though I'd also like to see an equine cover. I think I can almost see the parallel paths from the mower. Despite Brian White's mention of Camp Nelson above, I feel the more rocky/muddy/dirty setting like the original would be more appropriate.

#2 is nice as well. It's tough to get those group shots "just right," and this one comes very close.

#3 is great because it's outside the ordinary. I'm gonna give props to this one for January.

Nice job to everyone who submitted.
                    Last edited by PieBoy96; 12-27-2007, 11:11 PM.
                    Paul Boccadoro
                    Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

I went for #1. It reminds me of the type photo one might see in the Miller's Photographic Histories. Plus it's nice to see a horsie guy picture for a change of pace.
                      Michael Comer
                      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Well, I was the one who submitted #1. This image is of James Weighton, a member of the Horse Hair Mess that I dont believe is a member on here, so I submitted it for him. For those that talk about the grass and background lacking, I will agree. This image was taken at a local 'streamer event that we decided to attend, and this background was the best we could come up with. We did try to find a landscape better suited. As I posted in the first thread, this image was indeed inspired after the famous image of the federal cavalryman after Antietam.

This image was taken by Steve Ingram. Steve does a wonderful job with all images he does!!
                        Last edited by IowaYank; 12-27-2007, 10:56 PM.
                        Dan Chmelar
                        Semper Fi
                        -ONV
                        -WIG
                        -CIR!

Comment

I like #3.It's something out of the ordinary and we don't see everyday.We always see military shots and even civie shots are almost basic typical stuff.But this is something very different and unique that we don't see much in the hobby.Adds a great touch.
                          That and I'm hoping by speaking about it,Wendell will give the Waco Mess a free image.:D
                          Cullen Smith
                          South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...t=14764&page=2

Prodical Reb wrote:
                            WOW! So many good images! I anxious to see what 3 the high privates pick! I know already know which one I'm voting for! I'm positive it will be selected!

I voted for #3. I called it back when the pics were submitted. I like the originality and content of the picture. It's not an image you normally see.
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                            Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                            Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                            Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                            The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Just a reminder to those who haven't seen it, I have created a web gallery of all of the past covers. Take a look at the current crop and see how they stack up against previous winners:

http://www.bummers09.com/AC-Covers.html
                              ERIC TIPTON
                              Former AC Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X