X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote For the February Cover

Greetings Everyone:

It is time to vote for the February Cover of the Authentic Campaigner. Please vote for the image that you feel is the most authentic. If your image is one of the final three, we require that you provide some background information about the inspiration or impression for the image in this thread.

We encourage conversation about the impressions portrayed as well as any documentation that might be available that would add to the discussion. The intent of the selection process is to determine why you think one image is superior to another.

Image #1 - Click here to view.
    Image #2 - Click here to view.
    Image #3 - Click here to view.

Thanks to everyone who submitted. Good luck to the finalists.

This poll will close in four days.
    Image #1
    22.59%
    Image #2
    40.06%
    Image #3
    37.35%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Eric Tipton; 01-25-2008, 05:38 PM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Vote For the February Cover

I do this reluctantly, but my vote is for #1. It's only because that little guy in the middle is darn good at stealing apples.
    Matt Lovejoy

Comment

I'm sorry, I thought #1 the best arranged, but when I got to #3 I got such a chuckle out of that crazed look that I thought, 'ahhh, nobody will vote for this guy', so I did! Surprise! All great pictures, as always.:wink_smil
      Mfr,
      Judith Peebles.
      No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
      [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

THE "EYES" HAVE IT FOR #3 :) ;)

(Ugh... groan)

Ha, Ha... Great images yet again!

-Johnny Lloyd
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Good afternoon friends,

This image was taken at Cedar Creek in 2005 by Robert Szabo. The three fellows sitting in the image from right to left are myself, Brian Holt, and Paul Boulden. All three of us at the time were members of the Virginia Military Institute Civil War Roundtable. Paul and I are both wearing Peter Tait jackets and brian is sporting a type III. We also thought, in the spirit of the weekend, it would be nice to wear period cold-weather gear: Paul and Brian in their scarves and I in my balaclava. It has become a VMI CWRT tradition to have an image made every year at the event.

Sincerely,
          [B]Byron Faidley[/B]

[I]Loblolly Mess,
          23rd Virginia,
          and the Loyal State Rifles
          3NITL
          [/I]

Comment

It was a tough choice between # 2 and #3. Both have the look especially the lean body type that many of us are challenged to achieve or maintain. What decided it for me was the littlest of things: the very slight scratches around the edge of the image where you can see that a frame of some sort rested. That detail gives me the feel of stumbling across it in an old attic trunk.

Kace
            Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
            7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

#1 has the wintery look that just feels right this month. Great image, got my vote; now can winter just be over? I've had enough...
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Number One certainly had my vote at first, until I saw the facial expression going on number three.
                Craig Hyson
                [SIZE="1"]OIF I, OIF 07-08[/SIZE]
                Susquehanna Rifles

Comment

It was a toss up between #2 and #3, but I had to pick 2, the look on his face is just so genuine.
                  Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
                  James A. Peifer
                  Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

As always, a tough call. Number 2 looks like he ran around the hills like that for 30 years after the war (that's a compliment!) and #3, well, depraved is the first word that comes to my mind. Three it is.
                    Joe Madden
                    13th New Hampshire Vols.
                    Co. E
                    Unattached

Comment

Well, for the background on image #2.........It was taken by Bob Szabo last September, '07. It's an AoT impression, cir. 1864. Obviously a bugler impression. I know, the horn is a give-away.

The inspiration behind the photo was for my twin brother, he's over serving in Iraq right now. I sent it to him.

I had been growing my beard since the day he left and vowed to not cut it off until he comes home. My boss wasn't real happy about my 'facial fungus' and gave me the "cut it off or don't come back 'til it's gone" kind of thing two days before an upcoming event. Szabo was at the event taking tintypes, so I got one taken for my brother so he could see my beard, my beloved pet, that I 'd grown attached to. Man! I miss that beard! I go reenacting with my brother quite a bit. It'll be good to have him home again soon. I miss him a lot!

Anyway, I hope this enough info. If it's not............let me know.

Best regards,

Marty Rubin
                      Tater Mess
                      Last edited by The Lonely Reenactor; 01-26-2008, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Honestly #1 looks terrible.

It was a tough choice between #2 and #3, but I'm gonna go with #2 seeing as I'm a HUGE fan of beards :)
                        Patrick Rooney

Comment

Tell us how you really feel Patrick:wink_smil I'm going with #1 as I don't think I'll be able to stand #3 looking at me for an entire month every time I turn the computer on!! I do enjoy the story beind #2!
                          [I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Matt Kraybill[/FONT][/I]
                          [B][SIZE="5"]61st Regiment
                          New York Volunteers[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

let us bow our heads for #2 and the fact that he had to cut that beautiful beard. Hope your brother comes home soon buddy.
                            Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
                            James A. Peifer
                            Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

My vote is #2...:D
                              [B]Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
                              S.C.A.R.[/B]

"Yaller-hammer, Alabama, flicker, flicker, flicker,"
                              I felt sorry for the yellow-hammer Alabamians,
                              they looked so hacked, and answered back
                              never a word." ~Sam Watkins

Comment

Working...
                              X