Rest in Peace: David Wayne Seay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest in Peace: David Wayne Seay

Yesterday we buried our old comrade Dave Seay. He passed away June 7 after an illness. He was only 54 years.

Dave was an incredible force in this hobby during the 1970s, 1980s, and into the 1990s. He did a lot of heavy lifting for this hobby.

Dave was the founder of the 23rd Virginia and led that regiment gloriously through the 125th Anniversary re-enactments. I was only a youngster in High School when I met Dave. He was a big influence on me as a maker of reproduction clothing.

He was a welder by trade with big old paws who taught himself to sew uniforms. He made hundreds of uniforms for many units. We held unit work parties at his house to get things ready for the 125th events.

His personality was infectious. He was a gregarious fellow who you liked to be around. He loved to laugh and to sing. I can't remember him being negative about anything or anyone.

For much of his life his passion was Virginia history and the Confederacy so it is only fitting that he was buried at a small country graveyard less than a mile from Saylor's Creek Battlefield. A place where he led us many times during the 70s and 80s. Through the creek, up the hill, dig in, and await the inevitable assault that will doom the Confederacy.

Though Dave was not active in recent years he made a triumphant return this past March to an event. Despite his illness he had a cheerful attitude.

Most important, in the past several years Dave became a professed Christian and was very active in his church. He would go out of his way to help a neighbor or friend fix a car, repair a pipe, lay a kitchen floor, or do whatever was needed. He is buried in his church graveyard, just yards from another Virginia gentleman- Chuck Hillsman.

Dave was a simple man who loved his family, his friends, his troops. We said goodbye to him yesterday, with flags and blackpowder smoke wafting through the air. As he was laid into his grave, the birds around us sang to Dave a melody of joy and grief.

It was an honor to serve under you Colonel; it was a privilege to call you "friend."

Greg Starbuck
    Attached Files
    The brave respect the brave. The brave
    Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
    That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
    And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Re: Rest in Peace: David Wayne Seay

I remember Dave well. My sincere condolences to his family.

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Dang,

I actually saw him at that event in March yet I didn't even recognize him. Although we met but a handful of times he was a very decent fellow and I am really sorry for his family's loss.
      [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Echo what Greg said.
        Dave was a great guy.
        The photos bring back lots of fond memories of my youth.
        My deepest regards to his family and loved ones.
        He will be missed,
        Scott Shean

Comment

Rest in peace Dave. We will miss you.
          Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

A memorial page has been set up for Dave. Please take a moment to visit it here: http://23rdva.netfirms.com/David%20Seay%20Memorium.htm

Greg Starbuck
            The brave respect the brave. The brave
            Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
            That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
            And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

Working...
            X