In Memory: Tommy Varner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Memory: Tommy Varner

We lost a good friend on the 12th. Tommy Varner, Retired Navy, former member of the 28th Georgia, and an Active member of the Blue Ridge Mess, 11th Virginia (Longstreets Corps) and the Armory Guards. Tommy was always good for a laugh, and will keep us all laughing in the future as we remember him. He fought a good fight, Rest easy Pard, boil the coffee, and we will meet across the river, 'neath the shade of the trees.
    Robert W. Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
    Thrasher Mess
    Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
    ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
    Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
    And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Re: In Memory: Tommy Varner

All my frienship for you Bobby and for your friend Family...
    William Miconnet
    French Mess
    AES
    BGR & IPW Survivor
    Never ever give up!
    In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
    I believe!

Comment

I only got to meet Tommy a few times, but I liked him immensely. He was a good fellow and we'll not forget him.

Greg Starbuck
      The brave respect the brave. The brave
      Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
      That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
      And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

Tommy fell in with us a few times when he came "North" and was a fun guy to have in camp. He was always friendly and would go out of his way to speak or help out. He was gentleman and a true son of the south. We will miss him!
        Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
        Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
        5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

I knew that Tommy was not well, but I had thought he would pull through. I am still a little shocked. Tommy will be missed, but he is not longer having to fight an illness and he is in a better place.
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

Many, many, good memories of Tommy.

From one of my favorite gospel songs:

With extended hands he will greet you
            Weary Pilgrim, Welcome Home !
            Jerry Holmes
            28th GA. Inf
            65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

Tommy will be sorely missed. He always had a smile for all those he met. We were very honored to have him as a member in the Armory Guards. I was proud to call him a friend even if I only knew him briefly. Rest easy Tommy.
              [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
              [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
              [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I loved Tommy like a brother. We had some great times around the fire, and on the field.
                he will be sorelly missed...
                Attached Files
                [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

I talked with Tommy online numerous times and got to meet him in person a few times when we travelled south. His humour will be missed. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

Duchess Martin,
                  U.S. Sanitary Commission,
                  Columbus, O. Branch.
                  Duchess Martin,
                  U.S. Sanitary Commission,
                  Columbus, O. Branch.

Comment

Tommy Varner/ Gifts to the Atlanta History center

Gents,
                    The times that Tommy spent in the field with us will always be looked on as good times. He loved us all and had many friends that cared deeply for him too. He was a great guy! God speed Tommy. You will be missed.

The A.G. and the Blue Ridge Mess will be wearing black arm bands in his honor at our events over the next year. Its a small token to a good friend.

If anyone would like to make a small gift in Tommy's name to help save the Wray collection. We will take all the money up to them for you. Any amount would be great. Tommy loved the History center and this would be something he would love.
                    Please make the checks out to "Georgia Militia Historical Reeactors" and send them to 2150 Hwy 81 SW Loganville GA 30052 .
                    Kiev Thomason
                    a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                    WIG
                    Armory Guards
                    Forest Park Lodge #399
                    Forest Park GA.

Comment

I am shocked to hear of Tommy's passing. He was a very nice man, and he will be dearly missed.

Roy Queen

Comment

Man what a shocker, I knew he was ill, but didn't realize he had become so sick . Tommy and I only had a brief aquaintance, but the times we talked, I was always struck by his fondess for what we do, his respect for all the men in our group. and positive attitude. Rest easy brother.
                        Eric N. Harley-Brown
                        Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Tommy was one of a kind. He was the kind of guy that you become friends with as soon as you meet him. He was friends with everybody. I met him not long after I started reenacting and he was a big influnence on me improving my impression and my way of doing things. It will be different not having him sittin' around the fire with that classic Tommy grin on his face. You will be greatly missed my friend but we'll see you again one day and we'll talk about old times.
                          Captain Andy Witt
                          52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
                          Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Comment

Working...
                          X