Rest in Peace: Jim Rowe (1955-2004)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest in Peace: Jim Rowe (1955-2004)

I just received the devastating news that Jim Rowe died yesterday. Attached is the text of the email sent out by Terry Treat, commander of the Black Horse Troop. Funeral arrangments have not been made yet and if you want to be kept informed, please email Terry with your email address, at tjtreat@firstcommand.com

This is just unbelievable and I'm still in shock. If anyone had everything in th world to live for, Jim did. A real light has gone out in the cavalry reenacting hobby. Please remember him in your prayers.

--Kathryn Coombs

-------------------------------------------------------
    Text of Terry's email follows:

Friends: It is my sad duty to notify you of the death, by suicide, of
    our friend and fellow trooper, Jim Rowe, on Sunday, Feb 8. All I can
    offer at this point in the way of explanation is that Jim, within the
    last few days, was forced to a decision to close his business,
    Mid-County Feed in Warrenton.
    We shall miss him dearly.
    Please help to disseminate this sad news to those who knew Jim. Instruct
    those who want details about Jim's final arrangements, which I will
    publish as soon as I can, to provide me with their e-mail address. I
    will meet with Jim's wife, Margaret, tomorrow to help her with the
    planning.
    YHS,
    Terry Treat
    Commanding, The Black Horse
    [IMG]http://www.cleydael.org/photos/kcsignature.gif[/IMG]
    Kathryn Coombs
    [URL=http://www.agsas.org]Cleydael Farm[/URL]
    (former civilian moderator of this here place until captured by film industry... missing my hobby!!)

Re: Jim Rowe, Rest in Peace

Jim Rowe was a fine man, he will be missed.
    Coley Adair
    Critter Company

Comment

Kathryn,

Please tell me this is somehow a mistake! This is horrible news! I was just over at his home for dinner three weeks ago while I was in the area. What a true gentleman and a fine horseman. I'll miss him greatly.

Please keep me informed as you hear more.

cjschu76@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Chris
      Last edited by CJSchumacher; 02-09-2004, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I just really can't find the words, but to say that Jim was damned fine horseman and a true gentleman. I know I'll truly miss him.

John Sweeney

Comment

Jim has been a contributer around here for a long time and is really going to be missed.

We have placed a small tribute on the front page. My most sincere condolences to his wife Margaret and their family.
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Kathryn,

Thank you so much for posting this tragic news. As the word gets out, a good number of folks, particularly in the far flung cw cav community, will be in denial for days, and gradually move on to the other stages of the grieving process. Jim was one of the finest horsemen, a first rate gentleman, and had a wry sense of humor.

My deepest sympathies to his wife, son, employees, the Blackhorse Cav., and the rest of his family.

Dumbfounded,
            Charles Heath
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I was just talking with Jim last week about Ft. Riley and us getting together to teach me to jump this spring, in preparation for the Cav competition in September. I am devestated. My deepest sympathies to Margaret and the boys. Jim and I shared the same canteen. His presence will be missed. Always a smile, A helping hand, a friend to all. My hand is stretched in comfort to all. I have to go now.

Jim's Friend The Elder

Lester

Lester Schumacher

Comment

I am shocked and stunned at this sad, sad news.

Jim and I have shared many off-line discussions and emails over the last several years. I will miss his humor as well as his passion for horsemanship and this hobby.

My deepest sympathy to his family, close friends and fellow troopers.

We lost a good one yesterday, boys.

May he rest in peace.
                Mike Ventura
                Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Beyond exchanging a few e-mails, I did not know Jim personally so I cannot speak to that. However, I was always profoundly struck by his passion for the hobby. His abilities as a horseman and his zeal for knowledge and authenticity was renown and exemplary. Few went at it like he did and fewer still have done it so well.
                  I am so sorry. God bless he and his family.

Ken R. Knopp

Comment

I've read Jim's posts on this forum quite often......

My deepest sympathy goes out to his family....

Aaron,
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                    Cincinnati

Comment

This is a sad, sad day. Jim was humorous and helpful to just about everyone. He was also not afraid to play devil's advocate at times. His passing is a shock to me.

We had many discussions about horses and cavalry at our favorite online forums and over email. I was looking forward to meeting him in person for the first time at the Cavalry Competition in September where I expect we would have had many horse tales to tell. Jim's contributions and spirit will be missed.
                      Linneus Ahearn
                      [URL=http://9thvirginia.com]9th Virginia Cavalry[/URL]

Comment

Tis a sad day indeed.
                        Happy trails Jim.
                        Patrick McAllister
                        Critters
                        Patrick McAllister
                        Saddlebum

"Bíonn grásta Dé idir an diallait agus an talamh

Comment

Jim will be missed tremendously by all of us. He was a good comrade, great companion, superb horseman and source of knowledge. Stuart and I will count the time we got to spend with him as a blessing. Our prayers go to him and his family.

Tallyho

Comment

Funeral arrangements for Jim Rowe

I received this from Terry Treat, Commander of the Black Horse and thought I would post it here for those who did not receive the email:

---------------------------------
                            Friends: Following are the details of events to honor the life of our
                            friend Jim:

Thursday, Feb 12, 3-5PM and 7-9PM, Moser Funeral Home in
                            Warrenton: Jim's family will receive friends. The Black Horse will
                            provide an honor guard. Moser Funeral Home, 233 Broadview Ave,
                            Warrenton, 540-347-3431.

Friday, Feb 13, 2PM, Moser Funeral Home: Funeral services,
                            followed by a graveside service at Brightwood Cemetery (just east of
                            Warrenton) commencing at about 3PM, followed by a reception at the
                            Fauquier County Fairgrounds (.5 mi from the cemetery) beginning at about
                            4PM.

Mourners, whose association with Jim was through the horse, are
                            encouraged to wear Civil War uniform, hunt attire, or other riding
                            attire, to the funeral and graveside services.

Jim's body will be borne by a horse drawn freight wagon, accompanied by
                            uniformed CW reenactors serving as pallbearers and honor guard, a
                            mounted representative of the CSA cavalry and of the hunt community, a
                            riderless horse led by Jim's son James, family and friends. Persons
                            wishing to participate in the procession should drive directly to the
                            Fauquier County Fairgrounds following the service at the funeral home;
                            those who wish to travel directly to the grave site may park in the
                            cemetery. The procession will organize at the fairgrounds and march .5
                            mi to the grave site. Following the service, the procession party will
                            walk back to the fairgrounds for the reception. The funeral service will
                            include a firing detail and the playing of "Taps" and "Going Home."

All reenactors who wish to serve in the honor guard and firing detail
                            are requested to wear full uniform, with weapons appropriate to your
                            branch, to include long arm, and black arm band. All in attendance with
                            carbine or musket are requested to serve in the firing squad; bring caps
                            and three rounds of blank ammunition. Please leave unit colors at home.
                            The only flag in the procession will be the Virginia colors draped upon
                            Jim's casket.

Margaret has requested donations in lieu of flowers. I suggested that
                            she allow the reenactment community to acquire Jim's grave site marker,
                            as our permanent tribute to our friend. Funds received in excess of that
                            expense will be donated to the Brandy Station Foundation in Jim's
                            memory. She enthusiastically agreed. If you wish to make a donation,
                            make your check payable to the "Jim Rowe Memorial Fund". You may mail
                            it to Terry Treat, FirstCommand, 5900 Centreville Rd, Suite 310,
                            Centreville, VA 20121; or give it to any member of the Black Horse at
                            the service.

Jim's obituary should be available on line at www.timescommunity.com by
                            Thursday. Select "Fauquier", followed by "Obituaries".

I will provide a map of the Warrenton area tomorrow, and phone numbers
                            for area lodging if you wish to overnight on Friday.

YHS,
                            Terry Treat
                            Commanding, the Black Horse
                            703-968-2622 (w)
                            540-347-3326 (h)
                            Mike Ventura
                            Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Re: Funeral arrangements for Jim Rowe

I know this photo doesn't pertain to CW, but I wanted to post a photo that Jim sent me just three weeks ago.

This is he and his horse, DaNang in 1965. Its hard not to have a smile on your face when you've got a good horse next to you. I'm glad to be able to say that Jim was my friend.

Moderators, my apologies, but if you could leave this up or if need move it to another, more appropriate place...I'd appreciate it.

Chris
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X