Passing of Barb McCreary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing of Barb McCreary

Just got this sad news from my pards in the First Texas.

Just got some sad news my friends. Our good friend and fellow campaigner Barb McCreary passed away yesterday. If you knew Barb you know what a gentle and vibrant soul she was and her contribution to the hobby. She was a huge contributor to living history and Civil War History - especially in her field of social and civilian history. She also almost single-handedly did the very complicated and tedious paperwork to create the WCA. Our condolences to Brook and the rest of her family.

She was a fine woman, a great reenactor, and a pard. R.I.P. Barb...
    I'm sure some sort of memorial service will be organized in the spring. Perhaps at Ft. Tejon.
    Some of you may have met Barb at IPW. She was the driving force behind the civilian hand cart group. She was a wonderful lady and a great campaigner. She will be missed.
    Steve Boecker
    Co. A First Texas Infantry
    28th Louisiana IPW

"Too late, sir, the battle is won.”
    Richard Taylor after the Battle of Mansfield to a messenger from Kirby Smith ordering him to retreat

Re: Passing of Barb McCreary

Thank you Steve. I've been working the phones for the last 24 hours.

At present, we do not have final arrangements. Given the widely spaced family and friends, it is likely that there will be a service for her immediate family in Oklahoma, with a Memorial Service at a later date in California for the reenacting community.

Brooke and Barb moved here to Alabama, right at 2 years ago. Their lovely mountain home on the brow of the Cataco Valley has woods, pastures, ponds, and livestock. The wide porch provided the shelter she dreamed of, from a weary world.

You may send cards and letters to 111 Prince Lane, Somerville, Alabama 35670
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Terre:

Thank you for the address. Barb was a real firecracker and I loved campaigning with her, she was the genuine article and had the "sand"! For those who never got to meet her well you really missed something. I could never believe how much she could cram into that damn cart of hers, or how like an honest to god mule skinner she would get that thing through hell or high water. She was a "pard" in the true sense of the word and I will truly miss her. My thoughts are with Brooke and the girls.
      Edward Anthony Parrott
      "Humbug"

Comment

Barb was my CW mentor and friend.

Please keep Brooke, Tara and Miz Katie in your prayers.

Gwen
        her Copperhead friend.
        M. Gwendolyne Betz
        (Mary G. Betz)
        [url]www.winstontown.com[/url]

Comment

WOW! What a loss! I cannot say one bad thing about her!!! She will be missed for sure. Thank you God for sharing her with us.

My best to the family at this time.
          James Ross

Comment

A good pard and a generous host, both at her home and round the fire.

You will be missed. Peace.

-Paul Canter
            Hampton Legion, Co. "G"
            The Hampton Legion, Co. "G"
            The Claremont Rifles

http://www.hamptonlegion.com/

Comment

Strange isn't it?? Once you're born, the only sure thing in life is that you're gonna meet your maker one day. You can even theoretically make it thru life without paying taxes. But as often as it happens, it still doesn't take away the sadness and loneliness we feel when we lose someone special to us. I lost a dear friend this week, and I'm still in denial. I didn't know Barb, but if she was a friend of Mrs. Lawson's, she must have been a world class person. My thoughts and prayers are with you, her family, and friends. I look forward to meeting her on the other side. I remain,

YOS,
              D.W.(Trace)Scalf
              D.W.(Trace)Scalf
              19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
              [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
              George Santayana

Comment

Rest in peace my good friend. Life will not be the same.
                Best Regards,

Jim Mitchum

Hamptons Legion, Co. G., Claremont Rifles
                Winstontown

"South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum". ... James Petigru describing his native state in 1860

Comment

She had a way of making the most dreary days light up....
                  Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                  Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                  Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                  Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                  KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

I have fond memories of Barb from Banks . . . she made some wonderful drawings of some of our adventures there. My best to all her friends and family.
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Kind regards,
                    Emily Burns[/FONT]

Comment

Very sad news, she will indeed be missed.
                      Andy Mouradian
                      JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Shocking. What an excellent woman! Barb will be missed. Brooke and the rest of the family will be in my prayers.
                        Last edited by tsgalloway; 11-22-2011, 03:46 PM.
                        Tristan Galloway

Comment

Just back from Fort McKavett and heard the sad news and feel like I've been hit in the gut. Barb was a dear friend and I shall miss her very much. Her optimism, generosity, compassion, and energy will surely be missed throughout the reenacting community.

Brook and family if you see this, my heart goes out to you for your loss.
                          Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                          1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                          Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

As Emily mentioned, Some of Barbara's artwork from Banks Grand Retreat is here

And here

As well as my avatar above.

It will be some time before the family sees this thread, though they will at a later date.

As always, in the midst of death there is life. In two more days, Brooke will fly to California, carrying many things: among them a very small, but so very heavy box of ashes; and an elegantly pieced and embrodiered quilt, almost but not quite finished. Each an important responsibility, as Barbara made the quilt in celebration of the wedding of her elder daughter, which will continue as planned this coming weekend.
                            Terre Hood Biederman
                            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

On behalf of the entire First Federal Division, deepest condolences and sincere sympathy to the family and friends of this fine lady.

Brig. Gen. Terry Crowder
                              T. Crowder FFD command[COLOR="n[B][I][/I][/B]avy"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X