Bob Parker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Parker

I just received word from Lee White that Bob Parker has passed away. I'm sure many of you here may not have known Bob, but if you are a campaigner who portrays AoT you owe him a great debt. Bob was one of the originals of the "jean machine" back in the early/mid 80's. He was so enthusiastic about getting anyone excited about researching the AoT and loved helping out the new guy. I've seen many postings where younger guys are given a deal of credit for this or that research and I always chuckle because Bob had already done the research earlier. He was a real shaker and mover in a behind the scenes kind of way. Because of Bob, I was able to hold an original Columbus Depot jacket in my own hands. He was always generous with his knowledge and his help.

Pard, you will be missed.
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Re: Bob Parker

To add to this, Bob was one of my mentors when I first started down the Campaigner path 20 years ago. Bob took me to the Tennessee State Archives for the first time, Bob shared an original diary he owned with me, and like Warren, the first Columbus Depot I ever touched was in his collection. Bob was part of the first authentic groups I ever came in contact with, the 20th Tennessee, and his work definately helped establish the foundation on what we have built. We have a tendency as time goes by and folks retire out of the hobby to forget those who came before us and thats truely unfortunate. Its also unfortunate that many of you never had the pleasure to sit around the campfire with Bob. Godspeed my friend and hope that you are now sitting around joking with Ben Lane again.
    Lee White
    Researcher and Historian
    "Delenda Est Carthago"
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

What a sad day for me. Bob was a personal friend to whom I will greatly miss. In my eye, he was "Mr. Army of Tennessee". He taught me so much about the western theater and soldiering in the AOT in particular. I was a member of the 20th Tennessee back in the day with all of those original members of the so called "jean machine". It was so cool to take to the field with everyone wearing correct, jeans uniforms and looking rebellious. Bob was a big part in making that group what it was. As a historian, Bob would always speak to you in a soft, respectful fashon and he never made you feel silly when asking questions, even when trivial. He would answer you with his slow, percise delivery that made you feel at ease. He was one of the people who encouraged me to start making hats. The first makers stamp I used was the S.Rush Shennendoah, VA stamp that Bob had made. He sold it to me and said "Take it and make some good hats". His generosity in sharing his collection was ever present. I too had the good fortune to see his collection and to study "the Jacket" as we all called it. He was a true gentleman and I will miss him.

Well Done My Friend,
      Tim Allen

2nd Co. Washington Artillery of New Orleans
      Tim Allen

Comment

For those who'd like to pay respects in one way or another:
        Pat Brown

Comment

well i'll be danged. bob was a fount of information ,freely shared -as well as a gentleman.i remember him from the 20th tenn and old 10th texas days as well.Jean Machine is right!!

Bones Jarrett
          Armory Guards
          Doug "Bones" Jarrett

Comment

I am floored. I just remade contact with Bob a few weeks ago on Facebook. Yes he was one of those fellows that just knew his stuff on the AOT. I am proud to have been a member of the "Jean Machine" back during the 125th with Bob and many other folks that blazed the way for true campaigners today. I was a member of the orginal Cyclops Mess (One eye or die!)

Bully bully bully....bully bully bully.....bully bully for Bob!

There will be a vacant chair by the fire....you will be missed, Bob
            T. N. Harrington
            Traveling Photographic Artist
            Daguerreotypes and Wet-plate Collodion Photographs
            Winchester, Virginia

Comment

Wow - I haven't checked in for several days. Very sad to hear this news. I still have my Columbus Depot jacket Bob sewed for me for a pittance back in 1991 or so.

Bully bully bully for BOB!
              Andy Somers

Comment

Working...
              X