Bill Keitz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Keitz

Bill Keitz, founder publisher of the "Camp Chase Gazzette" died of cancer after a long battle. He gave so much to this hobby. He will be greatly missed my many of us old timers.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Re: Bill Keitz

Hallo!

I started reading about this "hobby" on Bill's mimegraphed "CCG's" at a friend's house.

Long time passing....

Sigh.

Curt
    Sorrowful Mess
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.
      Brian Baird

Comment

Sad news. Will be glad for 2012 to be over... we've lost a number of pards this year.
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

So sorry to hear this news. He was a guidepost for this hobby for many, many years.

Greg Starbuck
          The brave respect the brave. The brave
          Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
          That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
          And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

He was a real pioneer. I remember running to the mailbox hoping that my copy of The Camp Chase Gazette had arrived. It was joy to read. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Schmidt View Post
              Hallo!

I started reading about this "hobby" on Bill's mimegraphed "CCG's" at a friend's house.

Long time passing....

Sigh.

Curt
              Sorrowful Mess

Same here, always looked forward to those issues. Sorry to hear of his passing.
              Jim Kindred

Comment

Gents-

The Camp Chase Gazette IMHO was a huge piece of the puzzle for many of us guys from the older days. Before the internet it was a huge part of the communication network that made up this hobby.

It was a place to find your gear and find out what was going on all over the country. Waiting to read about Si Klegg and his Pard every month is a fond memory as well for me.

I can only speak for myself but the legacy he helped build in this hobby is a remarkable tribute to the man. Thank-you Mr. Keitz for all that you did sir!
                Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
                Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
                Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
                Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

I haven't visited the site for awhile and was saddened to learn about the passing of Bill Keitz. Back in the early '70s he asked me contribute some articles to the Gazette. I was honored to be asked and was pleased to offer a few items that he published. He and his wife even travelled to Indianapolis one year to attend the annual Lee-Jackson Day celebration hosted by the 4th Virginia Infantry. As others have so correctly observed, Bill was a pioneer in promoting communications in this hobby and the Camp Chase Gazette set a high bar for its successors. Rest in peace, Friend. Many of us oldtimers are grateful for your valuable contributions to this wonderful hobby we enjoy.
                  Tom Williams
                  4th Virginia Infantry Association
                  Indianapolis
                  Tom Williams

Comment

Working...
                  X