No announcement yet.

Rest in Peace: Seth Magosky (1967-2007)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest in Peace: Seth Magosky (1967-2007)

Marta Vincent speaks elequently here---we have lost a great scholar and a dear friend. He will be missed
    __________________________________________________ ____
    I don't know how far the word has spread, but a dear friend, Seth
    Magosky, passed away
    on Saturday March 17th. It is very difficult to imagine a world
    without his life and
    enthusiasm.

Best known in reenacting circles as John Wilkes Booth, he also
    portrayed Marshall Field,
    and Potter Palmer; both of whom were important merchants in Chicago
    in the 1860's. He
    acted as Dance Master at events in Naperville and Wauconda, IL and
    has been
    dance master of many area balls including the Battery G. Lincoln's
    Birthday Ball last
    February, and was scheduled for General Grant's Birthday Ball in
    Galena in April.

He was a partner in the Mercantile called P. Palmer Dry Goods and
    served on the board of
    The Midwest Civil War Civilian Conference. Seth spoke at the
    conference every year, and
    filled that after lunch time slot where his energy and enthusiasm
    kept everyone wide
    awake.

Several Articles written by Seth on Civilian Male Impressions will be
    appearing in the
    Citizen's Companion Men's and Children's Special Issue due out in May.

Arrangements are as follows:

Visitation
    Wednesday 21st 2:00-4:00 & 6:00-8:00
    Carlson--Holmquist--Sayles Funeral Home
    2320 Black Road, Joliet
    815-744-0022
    Funeral Mass
    Thursday 22nd, 11:00 am
    St Patrick's Church
    Marion St, Joliet

Cards can be sent to
    Mr. & Mrs. Patrick Magosky and family at
    608 Morgan St.
    Joliet, IL 60433

At this time we have no information regarding memorials, but Seth's
    focus was alway on
    Historic Preservation so there will be more information later about
    where donations can be
    made.

Marta Vincent
    Mrs Vincent's Parasol Emporium
    Midwest Civl War Civilian Conference
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Re: RIP Seth Magosky

Some people, even if you only see them once or twice a year, always bring a smile to your face, even when you just think of them.

Seth Magosky was one of those people, and he passed away on Saturday at the age of 39.

In the macho world of Civil War reenactors, Seth was gloriously over the top. When I close my eyes I can see him in motion. He's wearing his ever-present crooked grin and a flamboyant dressing gown, parading about to show it off.

I loved to watch his hands as he spoke, for they seemed to be having their own conversation as well. His long thin fingers would spread or twist or point to emphasize or undercut. I never knew how many pinkie rings I might see, but they were always unique, just like Seth.

Seth gave one of the best lectures I've ever been to (and I've been to literally hundreds), by closely examining a deed for a home in Joliet to find out what details it revealed about life in the nineteenth century. That he could take such dry material and lead his audience through it, especially in the sleepy time right after lunch, is a testament to his research and speaking skills. More so, it's a testament to his passion for history. A lesser person could not have carried it off.

Seth was also a dance caller, and while they can be a competitive, territorial bunch, I never knew him to be anything but gracious. He was quite a tall man, but on the dance floor was always graceful. He danced as well with the teen in the badly re-worked prom gown as he did with the regal woman in silk and vintage lace.

At the moment, I weep when I think of Seth and the loss of him, but in my mind's eye, Seth is still smiling that goofy grin and always unique inside and out. We are so much the less for his loss.
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Deborah Hyland
    dance mistress

Comment

I would like to add that the Midwest Civil War Civilian Education site has placed a memorial to Seth on their website www.midwestcwcivilian.com when the front page loads you should see a "click here" in regards to Seth.
      It not only gives a proper tribute to him, it mentions the three memorial funds that have been set up in his honor.
      I hope everyone that knew Seth stops to take a look.

I also know that at the January 2008 Conference there is going to be a large board of photos of Seth. Friends will be bringing their best "Seth Shots" and a huge collage will be made in his honor. I know there will be tons!
      [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]CHERI FRY
      Civilian -- MidWest Illinois[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Holy smokes, what a shock. We met him at past MOMCC or ALHFAM conferences, and I always thought it would be neat if we had the chance to visit our period houses for critiques. Sad news indeed as I always wanted to talk dishware and ephemera with him.:( My heart goes out to his family.
        Mfr,
        Judith Peebles.
        No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
        [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

We were so dismayed when we heard this news. We were just getting to know Seth through a talk he presented to my tea group on china a couple of years ago, the Midwest Civil War Civilians Conference, plus we attended a ball this past January that he was the dance master for. I just wish we had had the time to get to know him better.

He was such a big help to us at the conference this year. I had misplaced my cravat-tying instructions before we left for the conference, and hubby and I were clueless as to the right way to do it. So when we first arrived at his beautiful CW-era house for the reception, we called him over for a quick tutorial in the foyer! He deftly tied Paul's cravat and we were good to go for the lovely party.

We loved his presentation on waistcoats, watchchains and whiskers - so informative. I had a couple of questions to ask him afterwards, but he was surrounded by a bit of a crowd, all with their own questions. So I thought - I'll ask him later. I had no idea there would be no "later".

I will miss his clear and easy-to-understand dance instructions. We attended a dance workshop in 2005 that he and Deborah presented, which was so much fun. And the ball in January was too. I enjoyed watching him dance as well. He was a skillful teacher and dancer.

I lament the loss of a great guy and his vast knowledge.
          Celeste A. Kostyniuk

Comment

Working...
          X