Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest In Peace: John Beck (19??-2008)

And yet another with a long time in the hobby:

It is with sincere regret that I announce to you that Brig. Gen. John Beck of Kansas died today of a heart attack. He had poor health for quite some time and had retired from the hobby several years ago but was a steadfast leader from the formative days of the First Confederate Division when he commanded the Missouri Battalion. He eventually rose to brigade command of Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas troops. His last North/South Alliance event was "Franklin" at Spring Hill, Tennessee in 2004.

John was one of those "characters" of reenacting. You had only to hear his pirate voice once to have his image firmly planted in your memory. Gen. Moore is sending a wreath on behalf of the Army of Tennessee.

Sincerely,

Bill

W.G. Rambo, Brig Gen'l comdg
    First Brigade

__________________________________________________ _

Terre Lawson
    Winston Free-State/First Confederate Legion/AOT/NSA
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Re: Rest In Peace--John Beck

" There is none finer "

He made it worth attending just to hear his speech to the troops.

He will be missed by many
    [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Re: Rest In Peace--John Beck

As a Trans-Mississippi reenactor for over 20 years, I knew John Beck. I am a Federal reenactor and have been on the recieving end of some of the commands he's led. Friend or foe could tell when John Beck entered the field, by the sound of his shrill Marine Corp drill sergeant sounding voice.
      On Saturday that voice was very pronouced. By Sunday, it was a mere whimper as he had yelled himself hoarse. Yes, I served on the opposite side from John Beck, as a Union man. But all will agree that John Beck was a very colorful larger than life character. We may never see one like him again. Rest in Peace, John.
      Robert W. Talbott

Comment

Re: Rest In Peace: John Beck (19??-2008)

I"m really sorry to hear this. My first 'national level' event was MudFreezeBoro wayyyy back there. I was in a brigade commanded by col Froggy.. his voice was so deep and thick that is what we named him. I had occasion to meet him many times since and he was always cordial and a gentleman. He will be sorely missed.

Ronnie - Shreveport
        Ronnie Hull
        Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
        Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
        Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
        2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
        Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

John was a true "character" in a hobby filled with too many conformist. He will be missed.
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

I can still hear the sound of the small man with the huge voice. As someone posted earlier, he was a true individual man in a field with few originals.

Scott Bumpus

Comment

It's kind of funny that this past Sunday I was walking around at the Raymond event site, thinking about fighting under John in 2001.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

I always think, with a smile of that voice saying "Attention Company" even today. Everyone in the Tennessee Valley Battalion would try to imitate it back in the day. He was truly a great guy who will be missed.
                sigpic
                Grandad Wm. David Lee
                52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
                - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

I started my re-enacting in the First Confederate Battalion with the 23rd MO (CS). First event I was ever at was Shiloh 97. I had several occasions after that to be under the command of John Beck. Voice indeed, always knew when he was in command on the field.

Layton Pennington
                  [FONT=Times New Roman]Layton Pennington[/FONT]
                  Member, Company of Military Historians
                  Member, Society for Military History
                  Life member, SCV
                  Life member: Veterans of Foreign Wars,
                  American Legion, Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Working...
                  X